FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SkyTeam (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/skyteam-412/)
-   -   EI (Aer Lingus) to join ST? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/skyteam/1109492-ei-aer-lingus-join-st.html)

Cupart Jul 26, 2010 3:26 am

EI (Aer Lingus) to join ST?

I almost got my coffee down the wrong pipe this morning when I saw this:

Possible Future Members

Footnoting from atwonline

EI is a LCC (with an awful over priced C/J product on their long-haul product) so how are they ever going to join ST?

EI left Oneworld back in 2007 as the model was changed towards being a LCC and why on earth would they choose ST instead of OW?

Any thoughts?

colmc Jul 26, 2010 1:43 pm

J-class isn't that bad now with the new fleet and new seats, and the pricing is and has been very competitive. Even economy class on long-haul is tolerable.

Is it anymore LCC that some of the US carriers (buy on board food, pay for bags etc on "domestic"/EU flights)? Not really.

As for which alliance - I'd say *A is most likely, considering their cosy relationship with United.

legalflyer Jul 26, 2010 3:00 pm

I would be surprised to see them select SkyTeam. They have more recent agreements with Star Alliance members, especially United, and they presumably have some remaining historical ties to (and potentially IT or other cost savings in relation to) Oneworld.

pbarnette Jul 26, 2010 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by legalflyer (Post 14368892)
I would be surprised to see them select SkyTeam. They have more recent agreements with Star Alliance members, especially United, and they presumably have some remaining historical ties to (and potentially IT or other cost savings in relation to) Oneworld.

If you read the article, it makes plain that their codesharing revenue is evenly split among the alliances. Don't make too much of the United codeshare.

N830MH Jul 27, 2010 1:16 am

I surprised! I can't believe EI is returns back to DL again. This is where its belongs to DL for a long time. I didn't hear it the news yet. When EI will eventually to joining into Skyteam? I didn't think ever EI to joins into the Skyteam or Star Alliance. Because EI is no longer to be relationship with DL by last 11 years ago. I do realize knows DL is former codesharing partnership & FF program has been terminated in early 2000s. I think you mention EI is belonging to UA.

millsdale Jul 27, 2010 1:53 am

I will say the "personality" of EI is fitting of the skyteam group

Cupart Jul 27, 2010 3:48 am

Originally Posted by millsdale (Post 14371675)
I will say the "personality" of EI is fitting of the skyteam group

Where did you get that from?

The "personality" of EI would by far fit better in with *A and should especially team up with SAS in every single aspect from planes to CC attitude... :eek:

ByrdluvsAWACO Jul 29, 2010 9:11 pm

... and they presumably have some remaining historical ties to (and potentially IT or other cost savings in relation to) Oneworld.
With the BA, CX, & QF partnership still intact, I can see the possibility of EI returning to OW.

Traveloguy Jul 30, 2010 6:35 am

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO (Post 14390153)
With the BA, CX, & QF partnership still intact, I can see the possibility of EI returning to OW.

Highly unlikely that EI will re-join OW if you read between the lines of the latest OW press releases regarding AB's move into OW.

http://www.centreforaviation.com/new...n-europe/page1

I suspect certain OW members don't really want to reward EI for it's behaviour in the past. Whilst JL can get away with threatening to leave, it's another for a small carrier like EI.

(the irony of course is that it was WW who architected much of EI's exit strategy from OW)

Supersonic Swinger Aug 1, 2010 11:56 pm

Based on the source article, Aer Lingus should be listed as a possible future member on each of the three alliances' Wikipedia entry...

ByrdluvsAWACO Aug 4, 2010 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
Highly unlikely that EI will re-join OW if you read between the lines of the latest OW press releases regarding AB's move into OW.

I believe everyone is putting too much value in that statement. If BA or AA saw a strategic need for EI, then EI will be invited to join(again).

I suspect certain OW members don't really want to reward EI for it's behaviour in the past.
I suspect that most OW members dont care. I could even see EI ending up under the BA/IB Topco umbrella.

irishguy28 Aug 5, 2010 9:23 am

I wouldn't be surprised but that BA will buy EI. They're on an acquisition trail.

And after the flurry of rumours about EI joining *A earlier this year, I really think that SkyTeam is a distant third when it comes to ranking the alliances by likelihood of EI joining.

Cupart Aug 6, 2010 1:26 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 14427773)
I wouldn't be surprised but that BA will buy EI.

And Willie will then have made full circle...

Maybe he'll then change the name to Irish Airways :D

carnarvon Aug 7, 2010 1:32 am

Originally Posted by Cupart (Post 14365079)
(...)
EI is a LCC (with an awful over priced C/J product on their long-haul product) so how are they ever going to join ST?

(...)

Sounds a bit like AF, no? :D If this is so, it makes sense.

cfischer Aug 7, 2010 7:25 am

Originally Posted by carnarvon (Post 14437496)
Sounds a bit like AF, no? :D If this is so, it makes sense.

+1 :p

perfect fit!