Wiki Posts
Search

AF Gold, should I change FFPs?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2010, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ellyse
This qualification/requalification thingy, is it the same as LH's M&M program??
I'm not very familiar with the workings of M&M - I only got my Senator status in the last few weeks, as a result of the closure of BMI's Diamond Club for members in the Netherlands, Israel and the Ukraine and the resultant "forced" status-match into Miles & More. But I think it's fairly safe to say that they are quite different. The two-year validity of Senator status, and the resulting ability to not fly at all in one year and requalify in the second year without a drop in status level is not something you can do in Flying Blue. To maintain status, you have to re-earn it for each subsequent year (unless, of course, you gain Lifetime Platinum status by holding Platinum for 10 consecutive years)

Originally Posted by ellyse
My total number of miles don't disappear at the end of the calendar year, do they? It only resets the level miles balance?
As Goldorak has pointed out - no. Your award miles will remain valid as long as you have status or as long as you take a qualifying flight at least once every 20 months.

For Ivory members, miles expire 20 months after the last qualifying flight. But once you drop down to Ivory from a higher level, you need to be careful - the expiry deadline counts 20 months from the last qualifying flight, not from the time that you were reduced to Ivory.

Last edited by irishguy28; Aug 12, 2010 at 9:10 am
Old Aug 13, 2010, 12:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ Gold, AF Platinum, AA Platinum (sadly, expiring soon), QR Silver, EK, MU, HU, PR, HO, OZ, KE
Thanks for the reminder, I was reading the thread where someone lost a lot of miles, so I do remember.

As long as I keep this job, I think I should be able to keep requalifying for at least Gold, if not Platinum each year, so I'm quite safe!

Anyway, what's the benefit of being Platinum over Gold???
Old Aug 13, 2010, 9:29 pm

Programs: FB Gold, AM/MP Green, PC Plat
These are the platinum benefits. I think the best one is to get 100% extra award miles where in gold is 75%. Free economy comfort seat where gold gets 50% off. Higher priority and better chance getting opped up. If you get 10 years as a Platinum then you are plat for life and the one you know: platinym extended.

* 100% Elite Bonus
* Exclusive reservation service
* Guaranteed seat with 24h notice
* Priority reservation waitlist
* Preferred seating
* Priority check-in and transfers
* Priority airport standby

* Extra baggage allowance
* Access to lounges
* Priority boarding
* Priority baggage handling
* With our partners
* Platinum extended
* Platinum for life
Old Aug 13, 2010, 9:35 pm

Programs: FB Gold, AM/MP Green, PC Plat
100% award miles instead of 75%
free of charge seats in economy comfort if you can book it while in gold you get 50% off
If you reach plat level for 10 years straight you get it for life
platinum extended (which you know)
better change in getting opped up
higher level on standby list
Old Aug 13, 2010, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ Gold, AF Platinum, AA Platinum (sadly, expiring soon), QR Silver, EK, MU, HU, PR, HO, OZ, KE
Originally Posted by hexagon
100% award miles instead of 75%
free of charge seats in economy comfort if you can book it while in gold you get 50% off
If you reach plat level for 10 years straight you get it for life
platinum extended (which you know)
better change in getting opped up
higher level on standby list
Better chance of getting op-up, I thought a lot of Plats had been complaining that it's theoretical? In any case, would I ever get an upgrade from Y to Business, or only up to Y+?

Eh... I never can book seats far ahead in advance to get a Economy Comfort seat. I get that by just turning up very early for check-in anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.