Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

YUL-DBX on Air France - Flying Blue or Sky Miles?

Old Jul 15, 2010, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC-Aeroplan, AAdvantage, DL-Skymiles, UA-MileagePlus

I will be flying to from Montreal to Dubai on via CDG Air France and I was wondering whether it would be better to collect FlyingBlue miles or SkyMiles miles.. I have a SkyMiles membership but all my miles have time expired. I have never collected any FlyingBlue miles. Does anyone know which program would be better?

I usually try to travel on Star Alliance (Aeroplan) or One World (AAdvantage/ExecutiveClub) but I don't have an option this time. I generally use my miles to travel to from North America to South America or North America to Europe. I collect miles on travel within North-America, as well as to Europe and to South America, and occasionally within Brazil.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 5:12 pm

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi Dave,

It all depends, but without any additional information, I would say SkyMiles.

I will still ask the questions, to see if it would change the answer:

- Are you flying C or Y? If Y, 90% SM (unless you are on a very cheap fare class which would not earn you miles).

- What is your fare class? Unless it's full fare or business, SkyMiles (again, the lowest AF fares don't earn SM, but will only earn 25% miles on FB)

- I'm assuming you are based in North America, so that would favor SM.

- Miles expiration:
- FB: it's after 20 months, and you can only extend by crediting a Skyteam flight
- SM: 24 months, and many more options to extend validity.

So basically, unless you are flying C (on the most expensive fare class, and even then) and you plan to fly with Skyteam at least every 18 months, go with SkyMiles.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Jul 15, 2010, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC-Aeroplan, AAdvantage, DL-Skymiles, UA-MileagePlus
Hi GenevaFlyer,

Thanks for the response. That's exactly the kind of insight I needed.

It looks as though I'm booked for fare class H in one direction and K in the other. Looks as though FB will award 75% for H and 100% for K, and SM will award 100% for both, so you're right, SM it is.

Thanks again.

D

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.