Reload this Page >

AF Premium Voyager Review

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF Premium Voyager Review

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2010, 8:21 am

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Tested Premium Voyageur on IAD-CDG. I was positively impressed by the value for money, I enjoyed the additional space (though, I was on bulkhead, so I don't know about the regular seats).

I don't particularly like the way the seats recline, I'm too tall to be comfortable sleeping in them. But still way better than Eco standard. IFE on a larger screen was not bad at all, and I appreciated the other small details of service (comfort kit, noise-cancelling headphone, etc). Also, powerplugs, which I didn't use on the night flight, but which would be good to have on a day flight!

Re: ground services, I'm Elite+ so I get those advantages, and more, all the time, so I didn't really perceive the value there.
Old May 26, 2010, 3:13 am

as for lounge access, free but in paris only !
Old May 31, 2010, 9:55 pm
ftv

Programs: AS MVP 100K, F9 dirt Hilton damond, Choice Gold, Former DL Plat, UA 1K
Is there an MQM class of serveice bonus for PV?
Old Jun 2, 2010, 4:18 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Originally Posted by ftv
Presume you are talking about DL SM? In that case, yes:

http://skymilesoffers.delta.com/airline_partners.php#AF
Old Jun 3, 2010, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by ftv
Yes! Extra 50% EQM
Old Jun 3, 2010, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I recently tried Premium Voyager JFK-CDG & CDG-YUL. It delivered as expected on all fronts but seat comfort.

Pros:
  • No seats recline into you!
  • Comfortable laptop work space thanks to the very large tray table
  • Decent sized PTV
  • In-seat flexible LED reading lamp
  • AF coach food which is better than any other US carrier coach food
  • Complementary alcoolic beverages, although they ran out of champagne after 1 glass on my flight
  • Regular US/Euro combo power plug
  • Great "ground" benefits: boarding priority and dedicated check-in, priority luggages and lounge access
  • Mini bottle of water
  • Decent quality blanket and pillow (not the Y ones)
  • on the 777's I was on, it was it's own cabin so no riff-raff or confused people trying to use the PV overhead bins
  • 50% Class bonus for Dulta SkyPeso members

Cons:
  • Only option is an ok in-seat headset, no port for your own
  • In-seat headset has a lot of static
  • Power port didn't work on one leg
  • No USB port
  • The seat is hard to sleep in. Good foot room & arm room, but recline is lacking.
  • Metal bar divides part of the legroom in the aisle seats.
  • No dedicated crew for PV, the Y crew serviced the PV cabin

For the right price, and not too long of flight I'd do it again but wish AF would add a preflight drink service or round of cocktails.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 12:05 pm

I agree with each of your points on PV except this one:

Only option is an ok in-seat headset, no port for your own

I used the IFE with my own headphones the entire flight...the port that you plug into is different from what the provided headphones plugs into...point being - you can bring your own and use them.

As an aside...I decided after using PV that yes I was very happy to not be in Y after I roamed the plane and cringed when I went back but I decided next time I'm popping for business class...not being able to catch more than a few minutes of sleep just really hurt the experience for me.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 8:56 am

Seats are horrible

I just flew across the ocean in Premium Economy on Air France, and I will never do that again. These seats are horrible. They do not compare at all to Business Class. They do not recline, but slide forward, the leg room is pathetic. And they are extremely hard. The tray is unusable for anyone weighing more that 140lbs, i.e. for anyone actually needing an upgrade in the first place! I had to eat with my food tray on my lap. The reading light was broken as it was pulled out of its socket.

There are no bathrooms in this section, as it is boxed in between business and economy. There is no way to fall asleep in these seats given any position.

I would definitely recommend L'Avion from Open Skies for anyone serious about comfort. Obviously, this must be Air France's pathetic attempt to compete with them.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 10:44 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Originally Posted by Richard_Krueger
I just flew across the ocean in Premium Economy on Air France, and I will never do that again. These seats are horrible. They do not compare at all to Business Class. They do not recline, but slide forward, the leg room is pathetic. And they are extremely hard. The tray is unusable for anyone weighing more that 140lbs, i.e. for anyone actually needing an upgrade in the first place! I had to eat with my food tray on my lap. The reading light was broken as it was pulled out of its socket.

There are no bathrooms in this section, as it is boxed in between business and economy. There is no way to fall asleep in these seats given any position.

I would definitely recommend L'Avion from Open Skies for anyone serious about comfort. Obviously, this must be Air France's pathetic attempt to compete with them.
There seems to be a misunderstanding here. Premium Voyageur is NOT supposed to compare with Business Class - why would they do that and completely cannibalise their own Business Class?!

Also, L'Avion no longer exists: it's now OpenSkies. And they do NOT have an Economy class - premium or otherwise. They only have 2 kinds of Business Class. And yes, I agree, for the same price (or less!) than AF PV, you get OS BizSeat which is far better.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 11:41 am

Were you on a 777? There are surely two heads in the PV cabin on the 777.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 8:45 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
Originally Posted by raistlin
Tested Premium Voyageur on IAD-CDG. I was positively impressed by the value for money, I enjoyed the additional space (though, I was on bulkhead, so I don't know about the regular seats).

I don't particularly like the way the seats recline, I'm too tall to be comfortable sleeping in them. But still way better than Eco standard. IFE on a larger screen was not bad at all, and I appreciated the other small details of service (comfort kit, noise-cancelling headphone, etc). Also, powerplugs, which I didn't use on the night flight, but which would be good to have on a day flight!

Re: ground services, I'm Elite+ so I get those advantages, and more, all the time, so I didn't really perceive the value there.
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I recently tried Premium Voyager JFK-CDG & CDG-YUL. It delivered as expected on all fronts but seat comfort.

Pros:
  • No seats recline into you!
  • Comfortable laptop work space thanks to the very large tray table
  • Decent sized PTV
  • In-seat flexible LED reading lamp
  • AF coach food which is better than any other US carrier coach food
  • Complementary alcoolic beverages, although they ran out of champagne after 1 glass on my flight
  • Regular US/Euro combo power plug
  • Great "ground" benefits: boarding priority and dedicated check-in, priority luggages and lounge access
  • Mini bottle of water
  • Decent quality blanket and pillow (not the Y ones)
  • on the 777's I was on, it was it's own cabin so no riff-raff or confused people trying to use the PV overhead bins
  • 50% Class bonus for Dulta SkyPeso members

Cons:
  • Only option is an ok in-seat headset, no port for your own
  • In-seat headset has a lot of static
  • Power port didn't work on one leg
  • No USB port
  • The seat is hard to sleep in. Good foot room & arm room, but recline is lacking.
  • Metal bar divides part of the legroom in the aisle seats.
  • No dedicated crew for PV, the Y crew serviced the PV cabin

For the right price, and not too long of flight I'd do it again but wish AF would add a preflight drink service or round of cocktails.

Can anyone chime in on the advantages and disadvantages to the bulkhead in PV? I've booked 22A and B with a companion JFK-CDG r/t on the 772. Can't find any info on SeatGuru or SeatExpert. Where does the legrest come from (is there one in the bulkhead)? What about the tray table?
Old Sep 2, 2010, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM 2M, AA EP, Marriott AE
No idea, sorry.
I would like to know as well.
The only thing I though about is the ability to put a big bag as a foot rest in front of me ... there seems to be enough space!

Originally Posted by DLNYC
Can anyone chime in on the advantages and disadvantages to the bulkhead in PV? I've booked 22A and B with a companion JFK-CDG r/t on the 772. Can't find any info on SeatGuru or SeatExpert. Where does the legrest come from (is there one in the bulkhead)? What about the tray table?
Old Sep 2, 2010, 9:30 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
Originally Posted by pferrandi
No idea, sorry.
I would like to know as well.
The only thing I though about is the ability to put a big bag as a foot rest in front of me ... there seems to be enough space!
So there is that much extra space? Excellent...thanks for the great review!
Old Sep 3, 2010, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM 2M, AA EP, Marriott AE
If you look on messages #2 and #12 the first row has a 3 window space when the next PV rows have 2!

Originally Posted by DLNYC
So there is that much extra space? Excellent...thanks for the great review!
Old Sep 3, 2010, 8:55 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by pferrandi
If you look on messages #2 and #12 the first row has a 3 window space when the next PV rows have 2!
Aw excellent point! Will def stick with the bulkhead, though may move to the right side of the ac (mental thing, but I prefer to sleep with my head to the right and my back to the world )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.