Wiki Posts
Search

Which Sky Team Member ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2010, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus IK, IHG Platinum
Which Sky Team Member ?

Hi for the last 3 years I have been platinum with Continental and now am getting no upgrades and paying higher fares . I travel MAN to PTY every month and do about 100,000

If i travel with KLm I would only get 25% of the miles ..on the lowest fares..

Is there another skyteam member I can join and still get the full miles and status?
Old Feb 22, 2010, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Delta would be happy to have you. Note, however, than MAN-ATL isn't daily through the winter. You will need to buy a Y/B/M fare to upgrade with miles or SWUs on MAN-ATL, but ATL-PTY is (presently) operated by equipment with domestic first class seating and is thus eligible for Medallion upgrades - space-available upgrades not requiring miles or SWUs, even from the cheapest fares.

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...ance/index.jsp
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:32 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Well you would earn 100% miles on DL SkyMiles (SM) by flying KL MAN-AMS-PTY on pretty much all fares. BUT: SM has undergone some very nasty changes recently meaning you need huge amounts of miles to get any decent rewards. There is more information on this than you probably need, right here on FT. Just check the DL forum.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 3:05 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I have a similar question. I have a colleague who is based in TLV/SIN. She finds herself needing to fly TLV-ICN. The connections through PEK/BKK/HKG aren't all that convenient but KE flies direct. For *A I'd be telling her to go with BMI if she had the infrequent flight like this. What about SkyTeam? What would be the most beneficial program for someone that flies SkyTeam infrequently, perhaps 3 times a year?
Old Mar 3, 2010, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
I have a similar question. I have a colleague who is based in TLV/SIN. She finds herself needing to fly TLV-ICN. The connections through PEK/BKK/HKG aren't all that convenient but KE flies direct. For *A I'd be telling her to go with BMI if she had the infrequent flight like this. What about SkyTeam? What would be the most beneficial program for someone that flies SkyTeam infrequently, perhaps 3 times a year?
She needs to look at whether the booking classes she flies on would be earning miles. KE is a tricky case, many (most?) Economy booking classes for example do not earn any miles at all on, say, FB.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by nomad1974
She needs to look at whether the booking classes she flies on would be earning miles. KE is a tricky case, many (most?) Economy booking classes for example do not earn any miles at all on, say, FB.
Thanks. But assuming the booking class does earn miles, which program would you say is the best to earn with even if you aren't flying their metal?
Old Mar 3, 2010, 8:12 am

Thanks. But assuming the booking class does earn miles, which program would you say is the best to earn with even if you aren't flying their metal?
I would definitely avoid FB and DL SM and I am not that familiar with the rest so I won't be able to help you. Heard good things about OK+, you also need to look at things like mileage expiration, esp. if she will only be an occasional flyer. Also, is she interested in status or simply mileage accumulation for awards? If just the latter, the she might also want to look at non-SkyTeam programmes.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 8:16 am

I would definitely avoid FB and DL SM and I am not that familiar with the rest so I won't be able to help you. Heard good things about OK+, you also need to look at things like mileage expiration, esp. if she will only be an occasional flyer. Also, is she interested in status or simply mileage accumulation for awards? If just the latter, the she might also want to look at non-SkyTeam programmes.
Do any *A programs allow earning on KE? She has status with other airlines.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 9:13 am

Do any *A programs allow earning on KE? She has status with other airlines.
Not that I know of, no.

A good programme many people use without actually flying the airline seems to be Alaska Air's Mileage Plan. It has lots of partners (incl. KE), have a look:

http://www.alaskaair.com/as/mileagep...rs_Airline.asp
Old Mar 3, 2010, 7:17 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Not that I know of, no.

A good programme many people use without actually flying the airline seems to be Alaska Air's Mileage Plan. It has lots of partners (incl. KE), have a look:

http://www.alaskaair.com/as/mileagep...rs_Airline.asp
Second this as a good option.

Another alternative would be KE's program itself. Their Million Miler Club gives lifetime Skyteam Elite Plus status (and hence international lounge access) and counts all miles flown on Skyteam airlines. Although I'm not sure what their earn/burn rates are like.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.