Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

KLM "Economy Comfort" seats

KLM "Economy Comfort" seats

Old Feb 21, 10, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AZ CFP (ST E+), BA Silver
Originally Posted by hardiwv View Post
This because in the initial post there was reference to preferred seat and tried to compare it with Economy Comfort.
I guess I wasn't clear.

Before the introduction of this, Elite+ members COULD choose "preferred seatings" such as exit rows (for free), other passengers would pay for them.

After the introduction of this (new product or whatever you would like to call it), I have been denied by KLM (both online and on the phone) to book an exit row or any other preferred seating on the plane. The answer is just "buy the Economy Comfort seat, you also have a 50% discount".

This answer is not really good. Other than this, of course they are free to create cabins and products as they like

I just feel that they have removed a (much appreciated) advantage for any Elite+ who is not a Flying Blue member. Which, incidentally, also means I will use other Skyteam members who still offer me that advantage instead.
Old Feb 25, 10, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AZ CFP (ST E+), BA Silver
Originally Posted by raistlin View Post
I just feel that they have removed a (much appreciated) advantage for any Elite+ who is not a Flying Blue member. Which, incidentally, also means I will use other Skyteam members who still offer me that advantage instead.
I just checked this with KLM employees a number of times and I confirm they basically don't offer the Elite+ members any advantage in prebooking seats any more. Too bad
Old Mar 7, 10, 2:48 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Le Club Accor Hotels Plat, Marriott, Hilton
wrong thread

Last edited by carnarvon; Mar 7, 10 at 2:50 am Reason: Wrong thread!
Old Mar 7, 10, 2:49 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Bronze + other less precious metals
Originally Posted by carnarvon View Post
First I thought it was unfair, but if you think twice:
- number of flights required is the same for both residents
- only French resident have access to Status Miles through Amex spending (Dutch Amex generate only "Miles Prime")
Huh?! I think you're in the wrong thread
Old Mar 11, 10, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by nomad1974 View Post
We had a long discussion with the KL station manager at YYZ based on the fact that essentially, this policy forces pax to either (1) pay more to fly together, (2) split from their travelling companions, or (3) take something less than entitled (i.e. Platinum moves "down" to Economy). Station manager (and other stuff) said they have the same complaint by a lot of pax and they are frustrated by the way KL has handled the introduction of Economy comfort.

re 3, you know what your status gets you so if you want to sit in the seats with someone without status it is only fair to pay.

Why should your travelling companion be given something more than they are entitled?
Old Mar 12, 10, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by AN_Boy View Post
re 3, you know what your status gets you so if you want to sit in the seats with someone without status it is only fair to pay.

Why should your travelling companion be given something more than they are entitled?
You are getting the whole thing wrong, esp. by isolating one of my 3 points. It is not my travelling companion that gets more, it's essentially a benefit to Platinums: being able to bring your travelling companion with you. KL should not be putting their highest ranking FFers through this dilemma. Unless you assume that all Platinums always fly alone, then, essentially, you are offering something to them and then immediately either (1) take it away or (2) make them pay more for enjoying it (thus, not really "offering" it).

I believe other airlines (e.g. United) do extend this benefit. Believe me, KL policy causes trouble. KL staff have told me of stories of, for example, a parent travelling with a child, well, they forced this dilemma on them. So, the Platinum customer (father) had to either pay more or split from his young daughter (not really an option) or simply be forced to take something less than entitled.

It is not fair game, KL station managers know this, hopefully KL management will soon realise, too. In any case, unless I am really travelling alone, I have stopped flying KL longhaul, for this reason.
Old Mar 12, 10, 12:16 am

But you are asking for something that you are not entitled to.
that is for a non status pax to be upgraded foc.

You know that when you book, so pony up the cash and stop being so cheap.

What if I were in a group of 3 - should I expect my whole group to be upgraded free of charge so we don't get split up? If it were that distressing to me I would pay to sit with my whole group or not accept my free upgrade.
Old Mar 12, 10, 1:41 am

But you are asking for something that you are not entitled to.
that is for a non status pax to be upgraded foc.

You know that when you book, so pony up the cash and stop being so cheap.

What if I were in a group of 3 - should I expect my whole group to be upgraded free of charge so we don't get split up? If it were that distressing to me I would pay to sit with my whole group or not accept my free upgrade.
It is clear from your posts that you were never faced with this situation. I doubt that you even fly KL. I respect your opinions but I also reserve my right to my own, which are, after all, based on experience rather than speculation.

BTW, it is by no means an upgrade, just seats with some more legroom, that's all.
Old Mar 12, 10, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by nomad1974 View Post

BTW, it is by no means an upgrade, just seats with some more legroom, that's all.
I would call it an upgrade - it if it is more leg room and a product that has a small fee attached.

Oh and yes I do fly KL - but only a few times per year.

But we'll just have to agree to diagree on this one.
Old Mar 12, 10, 10:31 am

But we'll just have to agree to diagree on this one.
Indeed
Old Mar 27, 10, 8:47 am

Programs: KL FB Platinum, BA EC Gold, LH Senator, SPG Gold
Thumbs up I like them

I flew Economy Comfort AMS-YVR (777) and LAX-AMS (747), and must say the seats are more comfortable. They are different seats from the normal Economy seats, but it's not a different class (i.e. the service is the same as for Economy), but you have a better recline angle, and more leg space. Especially in all planes except the 747 it's brilliant, because they have the same personal IFE as business class. 747 unfortunately still has an overhead screen in Economy... But I did manage to get a good 8 hours of sleep in Economy Comfort from LAX, and I almost am never able to do that in Economy (am 6'7"), so even if I weren't FB PE (so it's free for me), after experiencing it, I guess I would seriously consider paying for those seats.
Old Apr 2, 10, 11:06 am

Programs: DL PM/MM
Comfort class economy seats

Flew the comfort seat in February on the 747 combi. The seat reclines a few inches more and there is greater pitch. All enough to make it a much more comfortable experience than otherwise. The seat also had lumbar support but I am not sure if that is a feature only on comfort class economy seats.

BTW, until back in mid February, when I last flew KLM, all Skyteam Elite Plus flyers had access to the comfort seats free of charge, regardless of fare. Now, as a Delta EP, you have to buy the full economy fare or wait until travel day when you can purchase the seat from KLM at the airport (at a discount). Delta still displays the seats in comfort class as preferred seating, not different than emergency seats,etc. and will display such seats as available to elite level flyers. Regardless of FF status on DL, unless you purchase the full Y fare, a request for such a seat will return as "seat not assigned." This is a change that Delta has refused to explain but KLM will.
Old Apr 8, 10, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by flying+dutchman View Post
I flew Economy Comfort AMS-YVR (777) and LAX-AMS (747), and must say the seats are more comfortable. They are different seats from the normal Economy seats, but it's not a different class (i.e. the service is the same as for Economy), but you have a better recline angle, and more leg space. Especially in all planes except the 747 it's brilliant, because they have the same personal IFE as business class. 747 unfortunately still has an overhead screen in Economy... But I did manage to get a good 8 hours of sleep in Economy Comfort from LAX, and I almost am never able to do that in Economy (am 6'7"), so even if I weren't FB PE (so it's free for me), after experiencing it, I guess I would seriously consider paying for those seats.
the reclining angle is what I've noticed right away, it agreed with my back much more.
Old Apr 9, 10, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
I've been told by the FB Elite line in AMS that if I have paid for these seats and then decide to switch them to the emergency exit row seats, I will not be getting a refund, nor can I just switch them for the new seats. I will have to pay again (I'm FB Silver and DL Gold).

:-(
Old Sep 7, 10, 4:37 pm

I flew KLM this past weekend and had run into this issue, where DL Elite could not choose these seats for free. Heck with it I am not flying with skyteam anymore....

Search this Thread