Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Buh Bye Continental Airlines from SkyTeam

Buh Bye Continental Airlines from SkyTeam

Old Oct 24, 2009, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
The LAX PC is much better than the LAX SC; not always croweded, real snacks, and not need to take the same elevator the trash haulers use to get to the club.
With Medallion status affording equivalent PC membership discounts, I'm thinking PriorityPass is not going to get my $399 again.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by LegalTender
With Medallion status affording equivalent PC membership discounts, I'm thinking PriorityPass is not going to get my $399 again.
I'm thinking the same thing: even though I may fly DL, there are still opportunities to use the PC, especially my home airport of LAX. As a Diamond they will give me the SC free, so I can use that money for a better (PC) lounge.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 10:39 am

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
As a former CO Plat I can say they certainy had their weaknesses but I'll miss them just the same.

At least we can still use their club until Jan. I can only hope that SC actually makes an attempt to fill the gaps they are going to leave behind (DEN, LAX, etc.)
Old Oct 24, 2009, 10:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Don't forget that through December 31, 2009, you can continue to have uninterrupted Elite benefits on Continental Airlines flights by having your current Elite status in the Delta SkyMiles program matched to an equivalent status in the Continental OnePass Elite program. The status match will be valid until February 28, 2011.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by yogimax
I thought access to the Continental President's Club was extended to January
I'm sitting in the President's Club at LAS (on my CRC membership). They told me this is the final day of access. It will be a real loss to DL/NW pax flying out of here, it's a very nice club. I'll miss the bagels and starburst candies; and, believe it or not, they have Nutella!

Old Oct 24, 2009, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
I'm sitting in the President's Club at LAS (on my CRC membership). They told me this is the final day of access. It will be a real loss to DL/NW pax flying out of here, it's a very nice club. I'll miss the bagels and starburst candies; and, believe it or not, they have Nutella!

Hmmm, I am headed to LAS this Wednesday, and I think that they're wrong. They could be just confused as this is the last day of ST membership and ergo, folks that are gaining access via status are shut out. I am sure according to CO Insider that we're good till January. I will report back when I am there this week. Gargoyle thanks for the "heads up."^ This is the reason IHMO that FT is so valuable to a frequent flyer.:-: Heathrow Guy if you're around, as the agent of CHANGE here, are they just mistaken?

Safe Travels
Old Oct 24, 2009, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by GTITAN
Hmmm, I am headed to LAS this Wednesday, and I think that they're wrong. They could be just confused as this is the last day of ST membership and ergo, folks that are gaining access via status are shut out. I am sure according to CO Insider that we're good till January. I will report back when I am there this week. Gargoyle thanks for the "heads up."^ This is the reason IHMO that FT is so valuable to a frequent flyer.:-: Heathrow Guy if you're around, as the agent of CHANGE here, are they just mistaken?

Safe Travels
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
I'm sitting in the President's Club at LAS (on my CRC membership). They told me this is the final day of access.
I was just in the LAS PC last week. The agents told me the official date was today, but after until Jan 30th they will as a courtesy let in NW & DL lounge members without guests. They also gave me a brochure letting me know that they'd like my lounge business and wil match the SkyClub rate for my status. (As well as another brochure offering status match.)

Gargoyle: you may want to ask again. They should have the brochures at the front desk.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
I spoke with the lounge angel some more, and she confirmed that today is the last day for CRC members and for SkyTeam E+ on international itineraries. She said nothing about exceptions after today.

We also discussed the status match program; they would match me to PM, which would give a discount on PC membership, but for my typical routing it doesn't make sense. I'll save the match for a year when I would actually have use of the status.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I was just in the LAS PC last week. The agents told me the official date was today, but after until Jan 30th they will as a courtesy let in NW & DL lounge members without guests. They also gave me a brochure letting me know that they'd like my lounge business and wil match the SkyClub rate for my status. (As well as another brochure offering status match.)

Gargoyle: you may want to ask again. They should have the brochures at the front desk.
itsaboutthejourney, once again coming through with good information!^ As always, many thanks for your contributions over the years!:-:

Safe Travelss!!
Old Oct 24, 2009, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by GTITAN
itsaboutthejourney, once again coming through with good information!^ As always, many thanks for your contributions over the years!:-:

Safe Travelss!!
I agree with your comments about CO will be greatly appreciated it for our contribution for 5 years into Skyteam Alliance. So it's time to letting it go sudden. I am never been flown on CO for a long time. I am always to stay on Delta for my lifetime.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by cmh flyer
Today is an important day. Besides it being my birthday , it is a sad day to see CO leave SkyTeam. I still don't understand WHY they HAD to leave because of the merger.
They HAD to leave because DL never really played nicely with CO in SkyTeam, to the point that DL was shutting CO out of the revenue sharing agreement for international travel that DL and several other major SkyTeam airlines were seeking. CO was always a somewhat unwilling member of SkyTeam, mainly there because NW was pulled in by KLM and because of the pre-SkyTeam close partnership between NW and CO. My experience of flying DL as a CO elite was always fairly negative; unlike the NW/CO partnership where elite recognition and benefits were seemless, it took several years of CO in SkyTeam before I could get a DL boarding pass that accurately recognized my status, and trying to get the preferred seating on DL that DL said I was entitled to was always a pain. It wasn't even until late 2007/early 2008 that I could input my CO OnePass number on a DL reservation using DL.com before the online check-in period opened. DL never seemed thrilled to have CO as a partner, tended to work against CO in many ways, and that's a lot of the reason CO wanted out. The DL/NW merger is what made it possible, especially since NW was the major reason CO was in SkyTeam to begin with.

Personally, as a CO and UA elite, I'm much happier with CO's defection to Star. On a worldwide basis it's a much better alliance, and despite the fact I live in Atlanta now, it has been very rare that I've felt like I needed to fly DL to get where I needed to go, on a schedule that was convenient, and at a reasonable price. I think a lot of other CO elites, and even quite a few former NW elites, feel the same way about DL these days.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
This sounds like a funeral or a wake. My favorite memories of CO as a NW Plat...

Probably CO Mike, flying the milk run and other assorted flights around Micronesia. Glad I got that done last year.

It's amazing that one could earn EQM with five North American airlines until recently: NW, DL, CO, AS, and YX. CO has departed, YX is now a paint scheme for some Republic jets, and NW has been Deltafied.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 2:51 pm

Programs: CO Gold - 1MM, IC Plat, Hertz PC
Well said ssullivan, I also had the same issues with DL, never with NW.

A final farewell to the great folks at NW, we should have been the merged airline, but now looking forward *A is a much better result for us over at CO.

Hope to see you back on CO, Cheers and Best of Luck!
Old Oct 24, 2009, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL AA UA
We had joy, we had fun, we had seasons in the sun.
But the hills that we climbed
were just seasons out of time.
Goodbye, Papa, please pray for me,
I was the black sheep of the family.
You tried to teach me right from wrong.
Too much wine and too much song,
wonder how I'll get along.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 7:09 pm

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by cmh flyer
BM (Before Merger), we had 3 airlines to choose from with many reciprocal benefits, upgrades, MQMs, etc. Now we have only 1 airline with far fewer flight options. Clearly not a winner for us consumers.
This is a very important point, for revenue flights and award travel, we went from choices on 3 airline to just a single one. Nowhere to turn if the saver awards don't show up. With *A there are 4 airlines in North-America to choose from, all with their own schedules and pricing. Much better chance of finding a suitable trip and much more valuable miles as a reward.

So I'm making the move to CO, and it seems I'm not alone. Bye bye new DL, 2 more awards and that will be it. I'll miss those DC9-30s an all that was NW.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.