Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Sixt | Sixt Card
Reload this Page >

Renting XDAR in BER.. 2 miles within Poland for less than 24 hours??

Old Jan 26, 2024, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond

I know the Germans are sticklers for rules but surely they can make an exemption especially in a case like this...

It is for a 14-day rental and I am driving from Berlin, Germany, to Świnoujście, Poland, just for ONE night. There is parking at the border then I can walk less than two kilometers away to the Hilton Świnoujście, then I am out by the next morning.

I am hoping that I can forego this minor convenience by being able to drive across the border and park at the hotel instead.

I plan to bring it up at the counter and see if Sixt can make this minor exemption or are they sticklers for rules? I don't want them screaming "ACHTUNG: DAS IS VERBOTEN, SEHR VERBOTEN!"
Old Jan 31, 2024, 10:10 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
You only run into a problem if you have an accident / damage / vandalism while in the forbidden territory because your car insurance claim will be rejected. Otherwise, no one will scream at you.
trooper likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
My credit card will cover it and the liability is EU-wide so it will be covered in Poland.

Sixt covers LDAR and all the others, just not XDAR. Don't know why there's a discrepancy.

I've been yelled at by managers of car rental companies. Sixt in LHR comes to mind when my rental car had a gas cap and oil cap missing and he had the audacity to accuse me of stealing them, even claimed they do check for all that. I asked him, "Why aren't any of the bonnets open at the drop off area? Do you really check for this?"

I was just asking if it is possible for them to make a minor exception, or is it clear-cut?
Old Feb 4, 2024, 5:21 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Wiggums
My credit card will cover it and the liability is EU-wide so it will be covered in Poland.
Most credit cards will not provide coverage when the terms of the rental agreement are violated.
Firstboss and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA884
Most credit cards will not provide coverage when the terms of the rental agreement are violated.
That's good to know. I made plans to park the car at the parking area before the border then take the taxi to Swinoujscie to the Hilton resort.

I am only doing that for the $200 credit and this resort is the closest to Berlin.. and is a highly rated five-star.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 6:19 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
A number of years ago I had my very first European rental from Hertz in The Netherlands. On the visor there was a sticker with 2-letter codes of the EU countries where the car is allowed to be driven.

One of those was CH which I interpreted as Czehia.

I thought it was a nice suggestion and for next rental I made a very nice road-trip all the way to Praque and Czehia countryside.

Only a year later I learned that CH stands for Switzerland, and Czehia was forbidden
TheJuice and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Hertz is weird, back in the 1995, Hertz allowed Ford and Opel in the Czech Republic, but not VW. We had to exchange our VW Sharan for a Ford Galaxy then realized the Ford Galaxy had the exact same engine and transmission and was made by VW, but that one was okay to drive in Czech Republic.

Sixt is by the most flexible and is the only one that allows Audi A6 or BMW 530d, but just not the BMW 740d. Argh.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 7:12 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Back in the 90s, it would have made sense, if Hertz only had contracts in CZ with Ford and Opel service, not VW.

But do Sixt really block you in this day and age from driving within Schengen area? Oof.
anyway it seems that the extra payment is only 20-30 for the whole rental, I'd say it's low enough you should just pay it and not worry about walking or cabs.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Back in the 90s, it would have made sense, if Hertz only had contracts in CZ with Ford and Opel service, not VW.
It was in 1990 when VW was not allowed in Poland, Czech Republic, and Hungary while Peugeot, Ford, Opel, and Renault were. Theft rate was the reason. Hertz is one of the few that singles out makes.

Even now, Hertz does not allow BMW and Benz in Italy and Czechia, so the renter would have to get an Audi instead. I am very familiar with all of this because I always rent cars in Europe.

Sixt XDAR (BMW 740d, Audi A8) is not allowed in Poland and Czech Republic, but is allowed in France, Netherlands, and all the others.

There are no extra fees, the XDAR is not allowed, period. The LDAR (BMW 530d, Audi A6) is allowed in Poland and Czech Republic though.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 8:44 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Hmm. Mobile website doesn't specify. Just says "international".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.