Best car for a 3k mile roadtrip

Old Jan 25, 2024, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Best car for a 3k mile roadtrip

Hello,

I'm planning to take a road trip of around 3000 miles this summer.
I'm currently leaning towards an X5.
Is there any chance of getting an X5 with Active Cruise Control or should I look for another car/company.

I have Sixt Platinum and Hertz President Circle.

Thanks in advance

edit: I am looking for a larger SUV as we are traveling with 4 people.
edit2: Pickup/Dropoff will be at LAS.

Last edited by floha; Jan 25, 2024 at 5:07 am
Old Jan 25, 2024, 5:49 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

You're not guaranteed to get a vehicle with specific features regardless of which company you book with. Rental vehicles tend not to have more expensive add-on features like Active Cruise Control, but you might get lucky.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 8:17 am

Programs: Aer Club Silver | BAEC Bronze | ALL Silver | Sixt Platinum
My own experience -
I rented a BMW 520d from Sixt last summer and it was equipped with adaptive cruise. This was in Munich, DE. All of their cars seem high spec.
I don't have any experience renting with Sixt in the US
Maybe best to call the location and ask?

Thanks!

+ Possibly someone on here has rented an X5 recently and can share their experience.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 8:42 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by Dog250
Maybe best to call the location and ask?
Good luck with that. Sixt doesn't publish phone numbers for individual locations (at least in the US). The best you will find is the main number -- +1 (888) 749-8227
Old Jan 25, 2024, 9:30 am

Programs: Aer Club Silver | BAEC Bronze | ALL Silver | Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Good luck with that. Sixt doesn't publish phone numbers for individual locations (at least in the US). The best you will find is the main number -- +1 (888) 749-8227
Thank you for the info. Didn't realize they didn't publish each location.

Have checked Google maps for pictures of the cars and it doesn't look like any of them (apart from 1) have the larger camera at the top of the windshield. So looks like it's unlikely you'll get one with adaptive cruise...

Thanks!
Old Jan 25, 2024, 3:17 pm

Depends on where you go, for a long road trip like this, I will try to stick with major rental companies like Hertz/National/Enterprise/Avis because it will be much easier to exchange vehicle across all states.

If you want to maximize your chances on getting a large SUV with ACC, you can first book with Hertz and National (status match to Executive Elite from Hertz PC) so you will have access to both aisles where you can pick your own car (President circle zone/Executive Aisle). Then you may want to book the specific class you need (large SUV) as a back up.

I'm not sure about ACC on X5, but it's not that hard to find a one with ACC (Like Grand Cherokee limited, Mazda/Subaru/Toyota SUVs), although those are less luxury...

Don't prepay all reservations and just remember to cancel the ones you don't need after picking up.
Dog250, Auto Enthusiast and 4004 like this.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 2:42 am

I have rented a few times with Sixt US but at their LAX station so YMMV: the two times I got the X5 xDrive40i, (was at 2022 and 2023) both did not have active cruise control (and also did not have the adjustable air suspension which I thought were standard for X5 in the US, but oh well). One time I rented an X3 (December 2022) also at LAX it didn't have active cruise control either. But I rented the i4 eDrive40 last December and it did have active cruise control (actually it could also change lanes for you), which was a nice surprise.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 10:56 am

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
My rental 530d from Sixt in FRA had it, but I don't think Sixt cars are that well-optioned here in the U.S. though.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by floha
Hello,

I'm planning to take a road trip of around 3000 miles this summer.
I'm currently leaning towards an X5.
Is there any chance of getting an X5 with Active Cruise Control or should I look for another car/company.

I have Sixt Platinum and Hertz President Circle.

Thanks in advance

edit: I am looking for a larger SUV as we are traveling with 4 people.
edit2: Pickup/Dropoff will be at LAS.
We did about 3k miles in a 2024 X5 recently from LAX. Great car and extremely quiet.

It pretty much was fully optioned with 360 cameras etc.

Not sure if it had ACC although i think that would have been painful anyway on all of the freeways with heavy traffic. My VW Golf has it at home but I never use it
Old Jan 31, 2024, 8:23 pm

ALso don't forget Sixt technically only allows you to drive to limited neighboring states, so you aren't as free as Hertz etc. to do a big US roadtrip.
They might have telemetry (GPS) on their cars, especially since they have higher-end more valuable German cars.
jizen and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 12:42 pm

Programs: Finnair plat
https://www.sixt.com/rental-information/#/
Old Feb 2, 2024, 1:58 pm

^ Looks like Sixt updated their policies, good for renters!

They used to have very specific limitations on which states you could drive to (EDIT: found them here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24606527-post2.html). They removed that from their site, so I was wondering if I was hallucinating.

Sixt Car Rental - beware - Road Trips Forum - Tripadvisor (as of 5 years ago they would punitively charge you $0.50 for every mile driven during the whole rental if you disobey their state line restrictions--WOW! lol)
Old Feb 14, 2024, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

I was in L.A. for the weekend and had an X5 from Sixt.
The employee told me that no car at Sixt has advanced cruise control.
I then asked him about the state restrictions, whereupon he told me that Sixt has lifted this and you can now drive everywhere without restrictions.
Auto Enthusiast and Sialala like this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by glostix
ALso don't forget Sixt technically only allows you to drive to limited neighboring states, so you aren't as free as Hertz etc. to do a big US roadtrip.
They might have telemetry (GPS) on their cars, especially since they have higher-end more valuable German cars.
That is actually not true for Sixt, at least not Sixt LAX. I have contacted them last month before making reservation and they confirmed that I can drive wherever I want within USA, only if I was planning to go to MExico/Canada I would have to inform them about that before collecting the car and pay extra.

edit:
I should read the rest of the thread before replying

Anyway - I have X5 booked for march and was hoping to get Active Cruise Control (my home car has it and I love that function), but I guess I'll have to drink more coffee to stay alert.

Last edited by Sialala; Feb 23, 2024 at 4:46 am Reason: noticed that others already replied to same post
Old Feb 27, 2024, 4:51 pm

In Europe, I found VAG cars (VW/Audi/Skoda) from Sixt tend to have ACC, whilst BMW do not. I wrote it off to ACC most likely being a part of a more expensive options package on BMW, whereas even very basic VAGs get it these days (since the tech is quite cheap and mostly there anyway for ADAS related bits).
Mercedes was also ACC equipped (but MBUX is terrible).
If you want to increase your chances of ACC, go for VAG or something Japanese as already mentioned.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.