Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Sixt | Sixt Card
Reload this Page >

Sixt guy at the counter told me that it was okay to fill up the BMW with regular gas?

Sixt guy at the counter told me that it was okay to fill up the BMW with regular gas?

Old Jan 7, 2024, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

I rented a BMW SUV at Sixt at a major airport on the East Coast. It was my first time renting with Sixt. Since I had never rented with them, I asked some questions while picking up the car... the guy at the counter told me that it was okay to fill up the BMW with regular gas.... I could not tell if he was kidding or not.

During the 3-day rental(about 600 miles of driving), I filled up at Costco a couple of times, with premium gas, just like what I always did with my own BMWs. Just before returning, I topped it up with BP premium gas(only gas station near the airport)

It got me wondering... what kind of gasoline does Sixt use when they add gas to their BMW fleet?
Old Jan 8, 2024, 9:47 am

Programs: HH - Gold, Emerald Executive-Elite, Herz Gold Five-Star, Sixt Platinum
I guess we're talking about "normal" BWM's and not the ///M cars. In this case you can run them on regular, but in my experience they run pretty rough. Therefore it's recommended to fill up with premium and definitely noticeable. But you don't wreck those engines if you use regular and I suppose that a lot of people simply go for the cheapest option since it's just a rental car. Even if the gas cap states a certain minimum grade.
Had an X5 xdrive40i rental last year from Tampa and that one ran rough as hell. After the first tank of gas and refilling with 91 it ran much smoother. But since I am a cheap ... guy I refilled with regular before returning it and feel no remorse. Most people who never had a straight six engine before will probably not even notice...
I would assume that Sixt tops up with the recommended gas for warranty and liability reasons but I also think most cars come back full anyways.

But this whole thing is just another reason why I wouldn't consider buying a former rental car.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Radiocarpalis

But this whole thing is just another reason why I wouldn't consider buying a former rental car.
well... maybe.. but my BMW mechanic told me that the cleanest BMW engines are always from the rental fleet. Renter push these BMWs much harder and essentially performed Italian tune-ups for the engines.... much less carbo build-up because apparently high revving engines have less build-up. BMWs that are owned and cared for(and presumably driven carefully) end up having more carbon build-up because less revving means more build-up... at least that's what both of my BMW mechanics told me.

Does Sixt(car rental) just have a big contract with BMW? Or does BMW own a stake in Sixt?
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 10:00 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
Moral of the story: never buy a used car that had been a rental earlier in its life. Especially a premium brand.

If you treat BMW like a Volkswagen or Toyota, it won't stay healthy past the warranty limit.

Originally Posted by phonestand
well... maybe.. but my BMW mechanic told me that the cleanest BMW engines are always from the rental fleet. Renter push these BMWs much harder and essentially performed Italian tune-ups for the engines.... much less carbo build-up because apparently high revving engines have less build-up. BMWs that are owned and cared for(and presumably driven carefully) end up having more carbon build-up because less revving means more build-up... at least that's what both of my BMW mechanics told me.
Ha, interesting observation! Did the mechanic have an American or European experience? In Europe renters fill up BMW's with premium gasoline, as the fuel tank cap message instructs them. Well, at least some of them do
Old Feb 3, 2024, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Firstboss
Moral of the story: never buy a used car that had been a rental earlier in its life. Especially a premium brand.

If you treat BMW like a Volkswagen or Toyota, it won't stay healthy past the warranty limit.

Ha, interesting observation! Did the mechanic have an American or European experience? In Europe renters fill up BMW's with premium gasoline, as the fuel tank cap message instructs them. Well, at least some of them do
In Europe in most countries there are only two types of gas: Super (which is similar to premium) and Super Plus (usually 102 octane) which you dont need unless you drive an AMG or M Modell or other real sports car.

Most of the renters treat the car well and often use it for longer distances so engine is driven warm. Its often the guys cleaning the cars who treat them bad. Ice cold engine, revving, full acceleration,
Auto Enthusiast and Firstboss like this.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tirreg

Most of the renters treat the car well and often use it for longer distances so engine is driven warm.
'

I always treat rental cars to free Italian tune-ups, so their engines must be nice and clean.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.