Sixt+ Long Term Rental Question

Old Sep 24, 2022, 11:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Sixt+ Long Term Rental Question

We are thinking of doing a long term rental of about 3 months in the LA area, picking up at a location away from the airport to minimize tax.

Some questions for those who did this before, or know about the service
1. Does Sixt still have a Long Beach location? It seems to be on their list of locations, but is not selectable for a Sixt+ long term pickup. Is it excluded from long term rental pick-ups?
2. Do Sixt+ long term rentals need to be pre-paid and/or is the application fee non-refundable if we decide to cancel? When we make the reservation and enter our credit card number, when is it charged?
3. Is there a fee for an additional driver?
4. Can you earn Sixt credit and status from this type of rental?
Old Sep 25, 2022, 5:19 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Sixt no longer has a long beach location. That was one of their early franchises and it was shut down when they moved all the locations to corporate.

Sixt has many locations in and around LA with the closest one to Long Beach being their Redondo Beach location.

Sixt does charge for all additional drivers but they waive it for Platinum members. Not sure about Sixt+.

You should check out Kyte. They are a new(ish) service that will deliver the car directly to you and pick it back up at the end of the rental. They also offer long-term deals. They also publish coupons from time to time and we keep track of them here. Feel free to PM us if you decide to rent from them and we can see if we can get you a deal on your first rental.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 7:13 pm

Hey bocastephan. It seems SIXT is a bit of an enigma in the US so I don't have fully authoritative answers to your questions but will throw out there what I know.

2) From my experience on regular rentals with SIXT (not long term) it seems to vary from length of rental, to time until rental, to browser, to desktop or app. I just booked a rental in the app where I wasn't given the prepay option which was still less than the prepay option on a desktop. Your CC will be charged based on which method is chosen during the booking AFAIK.
3) Again from my recent booking I was quoted $10/day for an additional driver. That being said I have an World Elite MC which provides Platinum status in which an additional driver should be free. I will test this one when I pick up the rental in two weeks.
4) You should earn SIXT credit towards elite status. They go by number of rentals rather than number of days. Long term rentals are seemingly done in 28 day increments, so for three months I would think you should receive four rental credits towards elite status. Gold is three rentals and Platinum is 10. Separately, you can earn miles with a partner airline, but others have mentioned the credit rarely if ever hits your account, despite follow up.

One thing I would mention is that SIXT seem to be pushing the App and are offering discounts/benefits by booking using that medium so have a look. Also, if you have any type of World Elite Mastercard it provides Platinum status with SIXT. You just have to call and get that linked to your account.

Lastly, a number of years ago I did a several month rental in LA and hit up Enterprise in Marina Del Rey. It was a bit under the radar but they had what I needed.

Good luck
Old Sep 25, 2022, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Excellent - I have a Word Elite Mastercard.

So I contact Sixt and they will set me up with a new account and status?
Old Sep 26, 2022, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen

So I contact Sixt and they will set me up with a new account and status?
That's correct. At least it is what I had to do so hopefully it remains the same. Platinum (and World Elite MC) does show on my account.

Edited to add that you should be eligible for the free upgrade perk for 12 months (after which it no longer applies unless you properly qualify for status) and free upgrades do not apply to long term rentals.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 10:02 pm

Programs: Frontier 100k; AA ExPlat; LATAM Black; *A Gold ; SkyTeam Elite+
Originally Posted by liquid
Hey bocastephan. It seems SIXT is a bit of an enigma in the US so I don't have fully authoritative answers to your questions but will throw out there what I know.

2) From my experience on regular rentals with SIXT (not long term) it seems to vary from length of rental, to time until rental, to browser, to desktop or app. I just booked a rental in the app where I wasn't given the prepay option which was still less than the prepay option on a desktop. Your CC will be charged based on which method is chosen during the booking AFAIK.
3) Again from my recent booking I was quoted $10/day for an additional driver. That being said I have an World Elite MC which provides Platinum status in which an additional driver should be free. I will test this one when I pick up the rental in two weeks.
4) You should earn SIXT credit towards elite status. They go by number of rentals rather than number of days. Long term rentals are seemingly done in 28 day increments, so for three months I would think you should receive four rental credits towards elite status. Gold is three rentals and Platinum is 10. Separately, you can earn miles with a partner airline, but others have mentioned the credit rarely if ever hits your account, despite follow up.

One thing I would mention is that SIXT seem to be pushing the App and are offering discounts/benefits by booking using that medium so have a look. Also, if you have any type of World Elite Mastercard it provides Platinum status with SIXT. You just have to call and get that linked to your account.

Lastly, a number of years ago I did a several month rental in LA and hit up Enterprise in Marina Del Rey. It was a bit under the radar but they had what I needed.

Good luck
\was your additional driver fee waived? trying to book online and the system wants to charge me for it...
Old Apr 28, 2024, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Puzzles
\was your additional driver fee waived? trying to book online and the system wants to charge me for it...
I never did the rental, I need the credit card to insure the car and they won't insure contracts longer than 28 days. Also the cost ended up being more than we booked with Avis

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.