Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Sixt | Sixt Card
Reload this Page >

Sixt Sales Techniques Close to a Fraud

Old Aug 19, 22, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Not impressed with my recent experience with Sixt, I Recently returned from Germany and rented a car from Sixt, price quoted was 231Euro plus tax for a 3 day hire, so with tax the rental should have been around 275 Euro,

The quote only included third party insurance, arrived at the desk, and was asked if I wanted "premium" insurance cover or if I was okay with the "basic" protection, (making me think that the basic protection was the third party insurance included with the initial quote) I therefore selected the basic protection, it was not made clear that this "basic" protection was different to the third party insurance that was included in the initial quote, but it was an enhanced package that included tyre and windscreen protection, loss damage waiver and interior protection, all that came with in additional charge, this additional charge was not explained at the point I picked the car up and was not shown to me prior to signing the rental agreement.

Adding in this "basic protection also increased both the premium location fee and the tax, so in total this added over 180 Euro onto what I had expected to pay!! Sixt customer services are not interested!! the response was that I signed the agreement so it's legally binding... please be aware of this when picking up a Sixt rental car in Germany.

I've raised a complaint with Sixt and will dispute with my credit card company, has anyone else had this experience and have been able to successfully remove the charge?
lgormley likes this.
Old Aug 19, 22, 6:52 am
Company Representative - Autoslash

This sort of thing is extremely common across the industry and Sxt is far from the only one who engages in it. We always recommend that renters review the costs on the rental contract before signing to ensure there are no surprises.

As for your complaint and credit card dispute, you are welcome to pursue both, but Sixt will likely respond to the dispute that you signed the contract with the added insurance. You may still win the dispute but it's far from assured.

Also keep in mind that disputing charges with rental companies can land you on the Do Not Rent list. If you don't plan on ever renting from Sixt again, that's not a big deal, but just something to keep in mind.
Ordpc and isiegel3 like this.
Old Aug 19, 22, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by AutoSlash View Post
We always recommend that renters review the costs on the rental contract before signing to ensure there are no surprises.
Wise recommendation.
Ordpc and blitzen like this.
Old Sep 5, 22, 9:49 pm

I suspect there's more fraud here than realized. I at no point signed ANYTHING (not even a rental agreement) and got hit with a LDW waiver charge for a car I returned today at CVG. I have confirmed from my rental agreement (the email confirmation of my booking) that I did not sign up for that.

Last edited by flyerfirsts; Sep 5, 22 at 10:00 pm
Old Sep 6, 22, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by flyerfirsts View Post
I suspect there's more fraud here than realized. I at no point signed ANYTHING (not even a rental agreement) and got hit with a LDW waiver charge for a car I returned today at CVG. I have confirmed from my rental agreement (the email confirmation of my booking) that I did not sign up for that.
To be clear, the email confirmation of your booking that you received when you made the reservation is not your rental contract. Your rental contract should have been in printed format or in an email that was sent/given to you when you checked out the car. There should be a pricing section with an estimate of charges on that document. That's where you would look to determine if LDW was included.

If your rental contract does not match your final bill, then you should escalate with Sixt to have them remove any errant charges.
isiegel3 and Ordpc like this.
Old Sep 6, 22, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by AutoSlash View Post
To be clear, the email confirmation of your booking that you received when you made the reservation is not your rental contract. Your rental contract should have been in printed format or in an email that was sent/given to you when you checked out the car. There should be a pricing section with an estimate of charges on that document. That's where you would look to determine if LDW was included.

If your rental contract does not match your final bill, then you should escalate with Sixt to have them remove any errant charges.
I received no such rental contract, the e-mail confirmation was the closest thing I got to one. They had closed already by the time my delayed flight came in, and the only thing they had me do was stick my credit card in the machine. I figured Sixt had switched to some form of express check out since the last time I rented.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Sep 6, 22, 4:48 am

It sounds like they pulled a fast one on you. The agent probably stuck the LDW on there knowing that you wouldn't see the rental contract so no way to argue about it (rental agents are commissioned salespeople). You could contact Sixt on the basis that you a) never saw a rental contract and b) never signed anything. Not sure you'd be successful, but it's worth a shot.

PSA -- It's extremely important that you have a copy of the rental contract before you leave the rental office, both to verify what you are being charged and in case of an accident or if you get pulled over by the police. If you had gotten pulled over during the rental period, you had nothing at all to show that you rented the car. Given all the problems with Hertz of late with folks getting arrested for driving (improperly reported) stolen vehicles, this is a very dangerous spot to put yourself in.
Ordpc and isiegel3 like this.
Old Sep 15, 22, 2:09 pm

It took approximately a full week but today they agreed to refund the LDW charge and sent a corrected invoice to confirm.
Old Sep 19, 22, 6:01 am

Ive taken this as an opportunity to work on my French and have learned to say je refuse tout assurance supplmentaire. Maybe Ill start recording but that might not be legal
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 11:07 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by Ucdc01 View Post
Not impressed with my recent experience with Sixt, I Recently returned from Germany and rented a car from Sixt, price quoted was 231Euro plus tax for a 3 day hire, so with tax the rental should have been around 275 Euro,

The quote only included third party insurance, arrived at the desk, and was asked if I wanted "premium" insurance cover or if I was okay with the "basic" protection, (making me think that the basic protection was the third party insurance included with the initial quote) I therefore selected the basic protection, it was not made clear that this "basic" protection was different to the third party insurance that was included in the initial quote, but it was an enhanced package that included tyre and windscreen protection, loss damage waiver and interior protection, all that came with in additional charge, this additional charge was not explained at the point I picked the car up and was not shown to me prior to signing the rental agreement.

Adding in this "basic protection also increased both the premium location fee and the tax, so in total this added over 180 Euro onto what I had expected to pay!! Sixt customer services are not interested!! the response was that I signed the agreement so it's legally binding... please be aware of this when picking up a Sixt rental car in Germany.

I've raised a complaint with Sixt and will dispute with my credit card company, has anyone else had this experience and have been able to successfully remove the charge?
That has nothing to do with fraud. It is just you not being used to car rentals in Germany. Same as in the US they want to upsell. But unlike in the US almost no one has LDW included in credit cards and the personal car insurance doesn't cover rentals.
1) Third party liability is mandatory and not an option so you couldn't decline it
2) Basis Protection (same as in the booking process) is a higher deductible of the collision/comprehensive of the rental car
3) Premium would then have a $0 deductible (with probably a few options between Basic and Premium).
When I look at rentals in Germany there are 4 options Full / Standard / Minimum and Included > looking at your description you got Standard.

To be honest it was just you not being used to renting a car in Germany and the Sixt employee not knowing that in the US certain CC provide that cover already for free. I don't think tehre was any bad intention as almost every (non international) renter gets a CDW as otherwise they would have to pay 100% of the damage to the car.
Old Sep 22, 22, 11:13 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by flyerfirsts View Post
How did you rent a car without signing anything? They gave you the keys and said "Off you go?"
Old Sep 22, 22, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by blitzen View Post
How did you rent a car without signing anything? They gave you the keys and said "Off you go?"
They had my swipe my credit card (but the amount is obviously higher than the rental because of the extra holding for incidentals) and gave me the keys and said off you go.
Doesn't National do even less than this if you use the executive aisle?
Old Sep 22, 22, 11:42 am

At the very least, it is disingenuous to ask whether you would like "basic protection or premium protection" when there was a third option available which was essentially no protection other than what's mandated by law.

Asking the question in this manner is a sales tactic that is fairly well-known among rental industry insiders and is generally frowned upon. That said, it's also very common so caveat emptor!
Auto Enthusiast, Ordpc and TWA884 like this.

Search this Thread