Sixt Italy Scam

Old Jul 7, 2022, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Sixt Italy Scam

I was in Italy in October and rented a rental car from Sixt. We returned the rental car with no issues, the attendant did a walk around and said we were free to go. We did not damage the vehicle and no one said anything about damage when we left. A few days later I got an invoice for 600 euros. I adamantly denied that we damaged the car. A couple of months later they said as a gesture of good will they will reduce it to 300 euros. I continue to get requests from Sixt for us to pay for the damage. After refusing they have said that they will send it to collection if not paid this week. After researching the issue I see this a common scam that Sixt continuously pulls. My question is if it gets sent to collections in Italy will this effect my credit score in the United States?
Ordpc likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Originally Posted by Jnicks23
I was in Italy in October and rented a rental car from Sixt. We returned the rental car with no issues, the attendant did a walk around and said we were free to go. We did not damage the vehicle and no one said anything about damage when we left. A few days later I got an invoice for 600 euros. I adamantly denied that we damaged the car. A couple of months later they said as a gesture of good will they will reduce it to 300 euros. I continue to get requests from Sixt for us to pay for the damage. After refusing they have said that they will send it to collection if not paid this week. After researching the issue I see this a common scam that Sixt continuously pulls. My question is if it gets sent to collections in Italy will this effect my credit score in the United States?
I am sorry this happened to you. This is why I always walk around and video the car when I pick it up and drop it off. Some people have no shame
Ordpc and Justin Case like this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 6:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Unfortunately, this seems to be a somewhat regular Sixt business practice. See Zurich Sixt false claim of damage (which is not limited to experiences at Zurich).
Originally Posted by janehoya
This is why I always walk around and video the car when I pick it up and drop it off.
That's not going to help at all with this particular scam. The only way to avoid it for sure is to stop renting from Sixt.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 4:36 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Sounds bogus, especially given that they are "haggling" and lowering the damage claim to settle which is not so common if they can proof everything.

I know several folks in this forum reported issues and I'm not disputing that. We also gathered that Sixt seems to look at cars and damage more closely than other rental firms (potentially).

However, in my personal experience, I have had troubles as well with Hertz and Avis too. Avis Italy added charges to a rental contract for items like roadside assistance that I had clearly declined upon collection (as shown on contract) and refused to return it claiming I had agreed to an upsell.

I never got dinged with false or inflated damage claims as I tend to get the zero deductible full coverage from the rental firm (e.g. Avis 360 - it's a special offering covering full insurance) which at times worked out quite well price wise too.

Even if it cost a bit more in the end, personally I'm willing to spend that (with Sixt, Avis, Hertz etc.) as seeing all the troubles and lengthy back and forth exchanges reported by others, it would be too much of a headache for me. Especially in places like Italy where they can be quite cheeky with tourists especially and you got a hard time getting local legal representation or so.

Sure, it shouldn't be necessary, but let's be real, the rental car business is sadly still a bit of a "mixed bag" these days that can leave a lot to be desired. Especially, their customer service can be so frustrating to resolve issues when something went wrong on their end. Blame the customer seems the default or play stupid and that is not just Sixt. YMMV.

​​​​​​
Ordpc likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 7:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, National Executive, Hilton Honors Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Unfortunately, this seems to be a somewhat regular Sixt business practice. See Zurich Sixt false claim of damage (which is not limited to experiences at Zurich).

That's not going to help at all with this particular scam. The only way to avoid it for sure is to stop renting from Sixt.
I disagree that having documentation will not help. Without documentation all you have is a statement that you did not damage the vehicle, while they hold the vehicle and all other documents. If you have photos and videos from when the vehicle was dropped off and picked up, then you become a much more difficult target for this shakedown.

I also have a strong suspicion that the Sixt staff must get a bonus or kickback based on the number or value of their damage claims. With that in mind, they would be encouraged to send you on your way thinking that you're in the clear and do not need to document.
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 3:31 am

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
FWIW, I make a big show of taking a video in front of employees and explain that I have been burnt in the past.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by janehoya
FWIW, I make a big show of taking a video in front of employees and explain that I have been burnt in the past.
Have you been burned with Sixt in the past after taking photo/video documentation? Would you mind sharing some detail what happened?
Old Jul 12, 2022, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by LBBflyer
Have you been burned with Sixt in the past after taking photo/video documentation? Would you mind sharing some detail what happened?
I can't recall ever renting from Sixt, though I may have. It happened to me once that I was accused of damage I was confident I hadn't done and ever since I've videoed the car both upon pick up and drop off. Ultimately I don't know how effective it is but it gives me peace of mind.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 9:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
If they sent to collections, it will be to an agency in the US.

Your rights under Fair Debt Collection Practices Act

https://www.consumerfinance.gov/cons...bt-collection/
Ordpc likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 7:37 am

Old Oct 14, 2022, 7:40 am

Hey there! A very similar thing happened to us in Rome this past June. My credit card that I booked the rental on had expired before Sixt was able to charge the bogus damage costs and now they are saying they will be sending the issue to collections. Can you tell me if you have resolved this issue? I have photos of the vehicle prior to and following the rental period proving no damage and have reached out to them with no success. I'm not sure where to go from here
Old Oct 14, 2022, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Rottimama
Hey there! A very similar thing happened to us in Rome this past June. My credit card that I booked the rental on had expired before Sixt was able to charge the bogus damage costs and now they are saying they will be sending the issue to collections. Can you tell me if you have resolved this issue? I have photos of the vehicle prior to and following the rental period proving no damage and have reached out to them with no success. I'm not sure where to go from here
I know it won't do you any good now, but this is why it is strongly recommended that you take extensive pictures at both pick up and drop off of the car. When the staff tell you that you can go it is not a clearance that the car has no damage. Actually, I believe that interaction tells the staff that you didn't do any documentation and makes you an easy target. With no pictures you have no proof, and with no proof you have nothing to fight charges of damage.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by LBBflyer
I know it won't do you any good now, but this is why it is strongly recommended that you take extensive pictures at both pick up and drop off of the car. When the staff tell you that you can go it is not a clearance that the car has no damage. Actually, I believe that interaction tells the staff that you didn't do any documentation and makes you an easy target. With no pictures you have no proof, and with no proof you have nothing to fight charges of damage.
I did take photos at time of pick up and drop off. I sent the photos to Sixt to prove no damage but they never replied.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Rottimama
I did take photos at time of pick up and drop off. I sent the photos to Sixt to prove no damage but they never replied.
Well that is different than how I read your original post. I assume you attempted to share these photos when the damage was initially claimed. I have hear they typically just charge damage against the card used to book and pay for the rental. I have no heard of collections getting involved before. I would keep refusing to pay until they prove damage existed against your photos.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.