Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Sixt | Sixt Card
Reload this Page >

Sixt Reservation Zurich Airport - International Driving Permit Required?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold

Hi,

I have a prepaid reservation with Sixt in August and will be picking the car up at Zurich airport. Plan to be driving in Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Austria, Germany, and probably Italy. I have a full Canadian driver's license from the province of Ontario. The license has bilingual text in English and French. Am I required to get an international driver's permit. My understanding is that Swiss law doesn't require this but I'm getting mixed messages from car rental company websites.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:30 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

The official policy of Sixt at ZRH is:

The lessee and the driver must present a valid driver's license and an identity card or passport while receiving delivery of the vehicle.
Driver's licenses from non-EU countries (except Switzerland) are accepted if:

a) no visa has been entered in the passport.
b) the customer has a visa in his passport and at the time of hire has not been in Europe for longer than 6 months. If he has been in Europe for longer than 6 months, he must present a driver's license from an EU country.

Driver's license printed with non-Roman Alphabet (Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Cyrillic, etc.) must be complemented by an international driver's license.
For driver's licenses from countries not part of the international driver's license treaty, an official translation of the license must be presented with the original license.
Bottom line, you shouldn't need an IDP at ZRH with a Canadian driver's license. Safe travels!
Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:19 pm

I’ve never been asked for one in over 10 years (6-8x/yr) of renting from this location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.