Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Sixt | Sixt Card
Reload this Page >

Possible to use a credit card without pin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:35 pm
Formerly known as uclaboby
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AS, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton

I'm just looking at the confirmation for my March rental ( pickup in Berlin) and I see "When paying by credit card, it may be necessary to enter the PIN."

I'm planning to use my Chase Sapphire Reserve card for the auto insurance but it is not a chip + pin card. I'm appreciate any solutions to this - is it a local branch decision whether to use pin? ... will paying for the rental online remedy this? ...

Auto insurance is a major benefit of this card so I'm assuming some out there have dealt with this issue already?
I appreciate any insight.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:39 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

It's only for non-US cards that support chip+pin. For US-based credit cards it's not applicable. The word may is the key here -- "it may be necessary to enter the PIN."
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

That's good to hear. I did notice in a post in this forum dated 18 June 2018, there was a link to sixt.de's general terms and conditions and the very last line in the following screenshot is also troubling. I hope that Autoslash is correct. ( for the record, I don't see this text in the terms of my own reservation, but I could be overlooking it. what's below is found here

I have an email out to Sixt and Chase but would still appreciate other thoughts. I will report back.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:58 pm

I haven’t needed a PIN when renting from Sixt using my card in Switzerland and Germany.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

The comments are encouraging! Thank you.

I checked with Sixt, who directed me to the particular branch where I would be picking up the car. That branch told me:
​​​​​​
I would recommend to ask your credit institution for your personal pin or that they give you one.
Some payments with a credit card are without a pin but just to be safe please contact your credit card institution.
Unfortunately, we are not able to decide when to accept a credit card with a pin or without a pin.
It is an automation of the card reader.

So, I guess I haven't made any progress with this - hopefully the card reader recognizes it is not a PIN card and doesn't ask. It if does ask for one, I follow Chase's instructions for what typically bypasses the PIN, and hope it does. Would love to hear any more instances of anyone using a card without a PIN at Sixt in Germany. Thank you!
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:26 pm

You are overthinking this. US cards don't use a pin. European cards do. European cardholders will be prompted for a pin by the credit card terminal. US customers will not. It's as simple as that. There is no need to call all over the place. This is not something new. It's worked this way for years.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:54 am
Original Poster

I appreciate that, although the automated machines for the Brussels Metro made me put in a PIN (and subsequently rejected the purchase). Maybe that makes sense because it is an unmanned purchase point so it needs some verification, but that was the prior experience I am coming in with.

Thank you!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by LA to PDX
I appreciate that, although the automated machines for the Brussels Metro made me put in a PIN (and subsequently rejected the purchase). Maybe that makes sense because it is an unmanned purchase point so it needs some verification, but that was the prior experience I am coming in with.

Thank you!
Yes, there are some unmanned kiosks that are designed for locals that may not accept certain card types but car rental companies deal with tourists all the time, so if they couldn't accept credit cards without PINs, they would be severely restricting their potential revenue.
LA to PDX and TWA884 like this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
You are overthinking this. US cards don't use a pin. European cards do. European cardholders will be prompted for a pin by the credit card terminal. US customers will not. It's as simple as that. There is no need to call all over the place. This is not something new. It's worked this way for years.
In fairness, there have been reports of merchants outright refusing chip and signature transactions. For example: https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...hopping-impact

That said, it doesn't happen all that often (and likely won't at anywhere that sees a significant number of tourists, such as a rental car counter).

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Yes, there are some unmanned kiosks that are designed for locals that may not accept certain card types but car rental companies deal with tourists all the time, so if they couldn't accept credit cards without PINs, they would be severely restricting their potential revenue.
Those kiosks are supposed to accept chip and signature without requiring a PIN (per card network rules), but of course YMMV. Really, considering that contactless payment support is set to become mandatory on European terminals, I'd just set up Apple Pay or equivalent and use that where possible to get rid of needing to sign for anything altogether.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.