Wiki Posts
Search

A terrible experience with Sixt.

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2016, 3:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fredshino
So now that the collection agency tried to reach you, what happens next? Can you just ignore them or do you risk getting into any legal issues?
Fair question! Definitely planning on ignoring them entirely.
Old May 31, 2016, 8:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Maybe they will get a court order affecting your ability to travel in Germany? Any lawyers practicing in Germany on FT?
Old May 31, 2016, 10:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Wow - unbelievable! Haven't rented a car in Europe yet (we like wine too much to do that) - but I will sure as hell stay away from Sixt if we do!

Thanks for sharing this story - hell of an entertaining read.
Yes Sixt messed up this time. But vast majority of the time they are good. More convenient locations in Germany than US agencies.
Old May 31, 2016, 11:32 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
My account is by no means as dramatic and frustrating as JonNYC's. My rental was overall pretty okay. I came in touch with stations in PHX, LAS (to switch a car) and SFO (return).

Initial car pick up for an LCAR at PHX was fine and I got a loaded Volvo S80 (seems new as a choice in LCAR) incl. build in Navi, Lane assist, blind spot warning, etc. Much better equipped and a bigger car than the usual C-Class, A4, etc. which are often in very basic trims.

The car had some issues with one tire and I needed to switch it out which is where troubles started. Note that LDW / LIS package does not cover tire damage and you need to buy the Roadside Protection for that at 6-7 US$ a day - something that would have been good to explain to a foreign renter what it entails as it covers tire damage, key loss, dead battery etc. which one driving in Europe does not really expect to be an issue or be covered by the full coverage insurance. Given the rubbish and burst tires on U.S. highways I would consider this next time around when renting in the States.

When I rolled into the PHX station to switch out the car (after giving them a heads up) they were short on cars that I would be able to "return at another station" meaning rent one-way. All the cars in my booked category were either "out of miles" or "out of days" or had some pending repair / oil change / inspection as mentioned in the LAS station thread were the same problem was prominent. I was about to drive to LAS and asked for options. It went through multiple rounds of discussion over a 30min time span and while I admittedly understand that they weren't planning on providing a car for me there was very little flexibility by the agents on duty. To make a long story short, I was told (not offered) that I can take a PFAR (Mercedes GLA) or an Audi A6 (XCAR).

Now the PFAR is actually a minor downgrade as it always prices a few dollars below LCAR while the XCAR certainly would be a one category upgrade. The key point was that I was told that the A6 would be 50$ extra a day (later reduce to 30$ a day) while the PFAR was supposed to be 30$ extra a day which was reduced to 20$ later on. Now for the A6 it was offered to me 2 days earlier for 20$ a day extra when I took my original car, so while demand may play a role, prices are pretty arbitrary and seem to take advantage of a customer in a "bind". Additionally the "upgrade fee" was to be applied to the entire contract period of 10 days making this one costly exercise.

I questioned why the PFAR would cost any upgrade fee as it is cheaper to book and a "P" group car versus my booking for an "L' group car. Additionally I was open to change the car on the same day in LAS back to an LCAR so why pay an "upgrade fee" for that car (The A6 would have been understandable). No flexibility was offered and time was against me so I accepted the GLA and the "upgrade fee", but the agent even managed to mess that part up and also screwed around with my base rate making the entire rental 70% more expensive than what was originally booked. I was told I can sort it out with customer service later on if I want to. Great stuff

The Mercedes GLA is not my cup of tea so to say and I hated driving it. When I got to LAS I immediately went to Sixt there and they managed to switch my car out against another S80 LCAR group car. I asked if they could fix the contract, but while they said it was poorly handled in PHX and "screwed up" they could not modify it and told me I should explain it in SFO upon return to see what they can do.

Return in SFO is much better now with clear signage showing where to return the car in the parking lot at the Westin. The station manager was great and after reviewing the facts about my rental in the system she adjusted my invoice back to the original booked cost and recovered the entire experience for me.

On a side note: Getting a proper damage card / report of the car or doing walk around of the car before leaving the station was "an act" in PHX and is totally not on their priority list. I was told that I got full coverage (LDW + LIS combo with 0$ deductible) so I need not to worry. Odd practice that can lead to disputes later on and falsely or arbitrarily charging customers for damages.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
Maybe they will get a court order affecting your ability to travel in Germany? Any lawyers practicing in Germany on FT?
Pinging Flying Lawyer.
JonNYC likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 3:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
SIXT is off my list.

Too many similar stories of horrible service and allegations of "damage" that seem patently fraudulent.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 5:44 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
SIXT is off my list.

Too many similar stories of horrible service and allegations of "damage" that seem patently fraudulent.
That's certainly my take on things.

Originally Posted by seawolf
Yeah, several member contacted me and advised me to get a lawyer to interact with the collection agency, and definitely will.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
That's certainly my take on things.

Yeah, several member contacted me and advised me to get a lawyer to interact with the collection agency, and definitely will.
You can drop me a PM. I am happy to send them a lawyerish letter. This brings things normally back to earth. I would however not assume that you strictly speaking need to pay "zero". The car was still a car and you obviously could use is for its intended purposes....
JonNYC likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 7:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
You can drop me a PM. I am happy to send them a lawyerish letter. This brings things normally back to earth. I would however not assume that you strictly speaking need to pay "zero". The car was still a car and you obviously could use is for its intended purposes....
Absolutely positively agree-- was never looking to pay zero-- they just turned it into that through their own idiocy. Was looking for a sensible resolution.

You're hired!
Old Jun 6, 2016, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond *Wood Gold, Hertz PC
In case there is anyone from Sixt lurking, I was planning to rent from Sixt in Munich in October. Based on the way they have failed to resolve this situation I will look at another agency.

This shouldn't be this difficult to come to a resolution. However, after Hertz Spain sent me to collections for a free rental on points this doesn't surprise me. You might owe something for use of the car, less all the costs you have trying to resolve this.

{edited to add} Just looked at pricing at Hertz and before I could complete the reservation they provided the following safety warning along with the option to add winter tires. I guess someone gets it.

From Hertz website:
Winter Tires

During the winter months, we recommend that you book winter tyres with your rental car for your safety and the safety of your passengers.

The new addition to German road traffic regulation introduced in December 2010 does not dictate the use of winter tyres. It is the motorist who is required to use appropriate tyres ("M+S tyres") when driving on icy, snow covered, snow packed, slushy and/or frozen roads.

In order to avoid any constraints on your mobility and also for your safety, winter tyres are included in many of the rates (= ‘Price not available’). Otherwise we recommend to book winter tyres along with your rental car.

Last edited by WestCoastFlyer; Jun 6, 2016 at 4:09 pm
Old Jun 8, 2016, 12:52 am

Well! This has really dragged on. It really doesn't seem that the vehicle was fit for purpose. I was just considering booking an A5 or an E class Merc at EDI and now I'm not so sure. My alternate E class supplier is Budget and they've never screwed me over. Dodgy tactics seem normal at Sixt, or at least happen too often.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 11:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thumbs up WOW

A huge, huge, HUGE thanks to Flying Lawyer for getting a resolution that I never could have even imagined-- and quickly at that!

Thanks as well to those who listened, advised (and pinged Flying Lawyer!) etc.

I certainly don't think it should have taken this much effort to get this resolved, but, very, very happy with the resolution negotiated by Flying Lawyer!!
Old Jun 14, 2016, 12:16 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum, Eurobonus Diamond
A huge, huge, HUGE thanks to Flying Lawyer for getting a resolution that I never could have even imagined-- and quickly at that!

I certainly don't think it should have taken this much effort to get this resolved, but, very, very happy with the resolution negotiated by Flying Lawyer!!
Been lurking on this thread and can only say congrats! Great to hear that it was finally solved. Pretty cool when a community gets together to support
JonNYC likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:02 am

Programs: AA EXP

Good to hear that! What was the resolution?
Old Jun 14, 2016, 2:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fredshino
Good to hear that! What was the resolution?
No charge for the botched rental and a €500 voucher towards a further rental within one year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.