Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Sixt | Sixt Card
Reload this Page >

Sixt damage - excessive repair charges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sixt damage - excessive repair charges

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2015, 10:04 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SwissCircle
And that`s not right. I / my lawyers intend to fight exactly that practice.
Fighting which practice? Insurer colluding with repair estimate industry and as a result charging premiums higher than it has to be?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:15 am

I am being chased for damage repairs that I did not cause

Originally Posted by SwissCircle
I am already collecting as many stories from this and other forums regarding these practices, and there are loads of those.
That will be no fun for Sixt, if they decide to go forward.
Guess they tried to f... with the wrong one.
As I have worked for Sixt I have internal knowledge and documentations about these proceedings too...
I am receiving emails and invoices from Sixt right now from a rental a few weeks ago. I took photos before and after the rental that show no 'new' damage (there was plenty superficial damage when i picked it up). I'm glad I took the photos now as they don't seem to care, they're just stating there was damage to the vehicle.

If anyone wishes more detail of this then I'd be happy to supply the full details and communication history, as well as the photos.

Colin
Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:02 am

Hi,

I got the unfair damage claim from SIXT germany.
they asked me to pay euro10000 then i replied them email that i got excess euro450 but they said that i did not call police to report this claim. However, i have visited SIXT branch and asked them what should i do, they just asked me to fill up a form to report the incident.

currently, after several email back and forth, they asked me to pay euro7500 for the damage which is also the price of the car.

Do you have any suggestion? What if i ignore them and not to pay them?

Regards,
Louis
Old Apr 1, 2019, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Yienwen
Hi,

I got the unfair damage claim from SIXT germany.
they asked me to pay euro10000 then i replied them email that i got excess euro450 but they said that i did not call police to report this claim. However, i have visited SIXT branch and asked them what should i do, they just asked me to fill up a form to report the incident.

currently, after several email back and forth, they asked me to pay euro7500 for the damage which is also the price of the car.

Do you have any suggestion? What if i ignore them and not to pay them?

Regards,
Louis
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Louis.

It would be helpful if you provide more information. We can’t give you any worthwhile suggestions without knowing more.

Which Sixt station?

What kind of car? You wrote “euro 7500 ... which is also the price of the car”. I don’t believe that Sixt rents any cars with a value of €7500. Do you actually mean €75,000?

What was the cause of the damage? Was the actual damage to the car minor or extensive?

Did you read your rental contract at the time the damage occurred so that you could follow Sixt’s policy and procedures? It states very clearly what you have to do in the event of damages or an accident. If so, what stopped you from contacting Sixt or the police? (I just looked at my Sixt rental agreement from 2 weeks ago in Switzerland and it plainly states that in case of damage the renter/driver must inform the police immediately. Also, a phone number for Sixt Assistance in the event of an accident or breakdown is printed on the agreement.)

If the damage is extensive and you choose not to pay it, you might need to hire an attorney.

Last edited by FLYMSY; Apr 2, 2019 at 11:53 am
Old Apr 9, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
+1 for issues with sixt where they
  • sent me the damage claim ~100 days after I rented (which meant I couldn't use my credit card insurance as I did not report it within 90 days of rental)
  • undertook the repair estimate 90 days after rental
  • sent me the wrong claim for damage (i.e., same part of the car, but a different quote)
  • charging far too high for parts
  • is unclear if they have executed the repair
Given it's a different country from where I live - will see how this plays out ... what has happened to those who haven't paid?

Last edited by shuuy; Apr 9, 2019 at 6:16 am
Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Please provide the exact details. Where was the rental? Where do you live? How much is the claim? Is the claim reasonable?

As an aside and for the benefit of everyone, anytime you have any damage of any kind, you should ensure that you report it immediately to local law enforcement if required by local law and also that you report it to your insurance carrier. It may take a long time to collect estimates, but that is not an excuse for delay in making a report.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:35 am

I asked for details, they charged me even the ones which appeared before my rental.
I will update you because i will not pay them unless they charge the suitable one.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:56 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by shuuy
+1 for issues with sixt where they
  • sent me the damage claim ~100 days after I rented (which meant I couldn't use my credit card insurance as I did not report it within 90 days of rental)
  • undertook the repair estimate 90 days after rental
  • sent me the wrong claim for damage (i.e., same part of the car, but a different quote)
  • charging far too high for parts
  • is unclear if they have executed the repair
Given it's a different country from where I live - will see how this plays out ... what has happened to those who haven't paid?
Taking that long to indicate damage and estimate is suspicions.

However charging far too high for parts is really subjective unless you checked the MSRP for parts and included labor estimate.

Whether rental company executed repairs is irrelevant. The claim is for damage (reduction in vehicle value). Whether they actually repair or sold the car off does not affect the claim.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Yienwen
I asked for details, they charged me even the ones which appeared before my rental.
I will update you because i will not pay them unless they charge the suitable one.
By details I meant, the details of the rental.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Has anyone tried using the European Car Rental Conciliation Service? https://www.ecrcs.eu/adr-procedures.html (you do need to be an EU resident)...
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
Taking that long to indicate damage and estimate is suspicions.
However charging far too high for parts is really subjective unless you checked the MSRP for parts and included labor estimate.
Whether rental company executed repairs is irrelevant. The claim is for damage (reduction in vehicle value). Whether they actually repair or sold the car off does not affect the claim.
Thanks for your response @seawolf ... 700EUR for a bumper and 12h to change it in an Audi A1 just doesn't make sense to me.

But sixt is now at the point of threatening debt collection. They didn't provide any additional documentation which I asked for and is reasonable.

Last edited by shuuy; Apr 17, 2019 at 10:25 pm
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:34 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by shuuy
Thanks for your response @seawolf ... 700EUR for a bumper and 12h to change it in an Audi A1 just doesn't make sense to me.

But sixt is now at the point of threatening debt collection. They didn't provide any additional documentation which I asked for and is reasonable.
700 EUR for an OEM bumper does not seem unreasonable. US doesn't have A1 but using A3 as a comparison, OEM MSRP is $900 USD just for the bumper cover (search for part 8V5807065QGRU). This does not include labor and if the part is not painted, the cost to paint and blend is extra.
shuuy likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 11:05 am

Sixt in Norway

I recently rented a car in Oslo airport and took photos of all of the scratches I could find on the car in a poorly lit underground car park. I regret not taking pictures of every panel on the car. I returned the car and they claim that there is a scratch on the wheel arch - I did not cause that and I doubt very much that the damage was caused while in my possession - They tried to accuse me of another scratch but I had photographed that.

They have had the external company quote and it is for exactly the amount of my excess NOK 10000 (£824) - for painting a rear panel on a Ford focus estate!

They say that as I cannot prove it was already there that I have to pay it.

Very peed off - I wont be going back to them ever! Is there any way to dispute it - I paid with a Barclaycard and so am in a phone queue waiting to speak to them
Old Apr 17, 2020, 11:30 am

Hi, i am wishing to contact ECRCS and report my claim versus Sixt. I wonder if in the meanwhile you had a chance to know more about their assistance and if it can be useful. I am not aware what kind of relationship there is between them and the rental agencies group.
Thank you
Old Jun 19, 2020, 5:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Rebooting the thread to ask the resident SIXT experts for an opinion. I have a Sixt car out on a very long term rental, returning in early Jan 2021. Awhile ago, a truck kicked up a stone that put a moderate crack in the lower part of the windshield, but nothing horrible. I've already taken the car into a few repair shops and have confirmed the following:

1. the windshield must be replaced it cannot be fixed
2. there is no after market option, there is only one OEM windshield that can go on this car from the manufacturer and it must be ordered
3. installation price varies, but Safelite is going to be around 1,200 give or take

I contacted my own insurance company, but they prefer I work through the car rental agency, but the car rental agency is way too far to drive to swap cars, and frankly I don't want to swap cars, I like this one. Basically the car is most likely going to Safelite, regardless of who takes it there. So I called Sixt damage claims and a rather unfriendly phone person completely freaked out when I explained that I wanted to take the car in to get the windshield replaced, and when I explained the distance issue with doing a car swap, she transferred me to roadside assistance instead of discussing options with me. I've put a call in for a manager to call me back, but who knows if/when they will do so.

The long term rental department already told me to just take the car in for oil changes and service myself and send them a copy of the invoice - I don't see why a windshield repair is any different if I take the car to their authorized service center, and confirm only an authorized OEM part is used for the repair, it's no different if I take it in, vs one of their employees, the same work will get done.

Thoughts or advice on how to handle this?

I already know the repair cost, so I am not really up for taking the car back and getting an invoice for 2-3x the actual repair cost just so they can make more money off me or my insurance company.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.