Can BMW be guranteed?

Old Feb 13, 15, 4:14 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 15
Can BMW be guranteed?

Hello
As I saw in my country website:
"Group E - IDAR
BMW 1 SERIES AUT"
For taking it on Freiburg, I wonder if this car can be guaranteed somehow and what other cars in this category?
I have not made reservation yet but would be happy to make one as soon as I know.
ilan2323 is offline  
Old Feb 13, 15, 5:49 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: TXL
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
Posts: 1,084
Sixt would only guarantee a car class but you can always add a note to the reservation while booking and even ask them to call you to negotiate options and potential upgrades.

http://www.mietwagen-talk.de/index.p...onItem&id=1110 seems to be outdated but their forum/site is well recommended, esp. for Sixt in Europe/Germany.

FDAR has lots of 3 series BMWs in my experience.
In your case best would really be to call them - or try to use a Sixt implant station that is colocated inside a BMW dealership
El_Duderito is offline  
Old Feb 16, 15, 10:11 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 520
Considering Sixt have the largest BMW fleet in the world, you could probably be 99% confident of getting a BMW in Germany if you aren't too picky about which model you'll get.

In my experience, the BMW 1er isn't common in Germany as an automatic. I once tried booking it on their website as a CPAR and the large downtown Berlin location did not even have any automatic cars in that class. However, if you get FDAR or above, you'll certainly be able to choose a BMW. In particular, I've never seen station wagons at Sixt that are not the BMW 3 or 5 series.

Another problem is that Freiburg only has one Sixt station. If you really want a 1er automatic, you could try calling the Mulhouse and Basel locations on the day that you're renting.

If you 100% want a specific BMW model, you can try reserving a Hertz Prestige Collection vehicle.
Schweden is offline  
Old Feb 16, 15, 10:10 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NYC
Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Posts: 6,719
Originally Posted by Schweden View Post
In particular, I've never seen station wagons at Sixt that are not the BMW 3 or 5 series.
I had an Audi A6 wagon from Sixt FRA a couple of years ago.
cestmoi123 is offline  
Old Feb 17, 15, 4:18 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 520
Originally Posted by cestmoi123 View Post
I had an Audi A6 wagon from Sixt FRA a couple of years ago.
Unlucky for you? I personally far prefer the BMW Touring models to the Audi Avants. The Audis remind me too much of Volkswagens.

What I meant to say was that I've yet to see visit a large Sixt location in Germany without a BMW station wagon available.

In general, Sixt would carry far more BMWs in its full-size to premium classes, while another agency like Europcar would mostly have Mercedes-Benzes or Audis.
Schweden is offline  
Old Feb 17, 15, 10:29 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NYC
Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Posts: 6,719
Originally Posted by Schweden View Post
Unlucky for you? I personally far prefer the BMW Touring models to the Audi Avants. The Audis remind me too much of Volkswagens.

What I meant to say was that I've yet to see visit a large Sixt location in Germany without a BMW station wagon available.

In general, Sixt would carry far more BMWs in its full-size to premium classes, while another agency like Europcar would mostly have Mercedes-Benzes or Audis.
Certainly, their mix tilts heavily toward BMW. I would have preferred a 5er, but had just gotten off a trans-Atlantic flight, and didn't really care that much. Have to say, that A6 Avant (3L diesel) handled 220kph on the Autobahn without complaint.
cestmoi123 is offline  
Old Feb 20, 15, 10:19 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 15
best price got so far

is from Hertz Car Group I, Automatic, BMW 320D - GPS OR SIMILAR.
What can I expect? I prefer BMW but good Mercedes or Audi can also be great as I usually at home drive Japanese cars only

What do you think?
ilan2323 is offline  
Old Feb 20, 15, 1:04 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NYC
Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Posts: 6,719
Originally Posted by ilan2323 View Post
is from Hertz Car Group I, Automatic, BMW 320D - GPS OR SIMILAR.
What can I expect? I prefer BMW but good Mercedes or Audi can also be great as I usually at home drive Japanese cars only

What do you think?
Very likely a 320D, might be an A4, but 320D is by far the most likely.
cestmoi123 is offline  
Old Feb 20, 15, 3:52 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tri State Area
Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Posts: 1,992
Can BMW be guranteed?

http://www.mietwagen-talk.de/index.php?page=LexiconItem&id=1024
blitzen is offline  
Old Feb 22, 15, 7:00 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 12
Originally Posted by ilan2323 View Post
Hello
As I saw in my country website:
"Group E - IDAR
BMW 1 SERIES AUT"
For taking it on Freiburg, I wonder if this car can be guaranteed somehow and what other cars in this category?
I have not made reservation yet but would be happy to make one as soon as I know.
Are we talking Sixt here? BMW 1 is CPMR at Sixt Germany.
IDAR at Sixt Germany is likely to get you a Mercedes B-Class.
Fighti is offline  
Old Feb 23, 15, 7:33 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 291
Is Sixt strict regarding the underage policy? I'm trying to book a 7 series in Munich this summer and I will be 22 by then.
If my dad rents it, is there any problem if he adds me as the additional driver?
Thanks
mbfanos is offline  
Old Feb 24, 15, 7:25 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 95
Originally Posted by mbfanos View Post
Is Sixt strict regarding the underage policy? I'm trying to book a 7 series in Munich this summer and I will be 22 by then.
If my dad rents it, is there any problem if he adds me as the additional driver?
Thanks
Yes because for the additional driver they will want to see the driver's license as well. So they will know your age and then apply the underage surcharge.
das_ubersoldat is offline  
Old Feb 24, 15, 1:01 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 291
Originally Posted by das_ubersoldat View Post
Yes because for the additional driver they will want to see the driver's license as well. So they will know your age and then apply the underage surcharge.
Do they strictly follow the underage policy? I mean the 7 series is for 25+ only but I'm only 22
If they do, how about Hertz?
I have been renting prestige cars with Hertz in the US. Most of them are okay with me.
mbfanos is offline  
Old Mar 19, 15, 11:24 am
  #14  
B42
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Europe
Programs: IC,KLM,Marriott,LHW,HHonors
Posts: 48
Originally Posted by mbfanos View Post
Do they strictly follow the underage policy? I mean the 7 series is for 25+ only but I'm only 22
If they do, how about Hertz?
I have been renting prestige cars with Hertz in the US. Most of them are okay with me.
Same story, min. age is 25.
B42 is offline  
Old Mar 19, 15, 11:38 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tri State Area
Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Posts: 1,992
Can BMW be guranteed?

Best way to get a BMW is to use a Sixt station at a BMW dealership
blitzen is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: