Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Sixt | Sixt Card
Reload this Page >

Sixt at LAX [merged experience reports]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sixt at LAX [merged experience reports]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2017, 1:39 am

Anyone recently rented SFAR from LAX, what to they have there? It says Santa Fe Sport, Wrangler or Toyota of somekind. Wrangler would not be probably the best ride for a 2000+ mile roadtrip
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:01 am

Anyone have any recent experiences with SIXT at LAX? I rented an XCAR with them and arrive at 11pm. There are a number of horror stories on the web. Essentially, they make it sound like I should be declared a lunatic for even bothering to rent with them. I do have a backup reservation at Hertz, but any frequent traveler experience would be helpful.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:34 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by platboy
Anyone have any recent experiences with SIXT at LAX? I rented an XCAR with them and arrive at 11pm. There are a number of horror stories on the web. Essentially, they make it sound like I should be declared a lunatic for even bothering to rent with them. I do have a backup reservation at Hertz, but any frequent traveler experience would be helpful.
I admit that because I'm Diamond my experiences might be a bit different with Sixt, but LAX is one of my favourite stations. The upgrades I've gotten there have been unbelievable - S-Class, Corvette, etc. - all from compacts and economy cars. So with an XCAR I want to say I wouldn't think you'll have a problem.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
I admit that because I'm Diamond my experiences might be a bit different with Sixt, but LAX is one of my favourite stations. The upgrades I've gotten there have been unbelievable - S-Class, Corvette, etc. - all from compacts and economy cars. So with an XCAR I want to say I wouldn't think you'll have a problem.
they dont upgrade anymore special cars or luxury cars ...
Old Sep 17, 2017, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by Gogiman
First time with Sixt in the US and I am quite disappointed. Indifferent customer service, limited vehicle availability and a very negative experience overall.

TL;DR:
Platinum member, did not get any upgrades (was offered upsell instead), had to visit SIXT LAX four times and spent about eight hours in total to get rid of the XTS. XTS is a bad car, avoid if you can. Beware, XCARs in the US are very lightly equipped. FDAR/LDAR cars in Germany come with much better options.

I am a Platinum member (I have been consistently getting free one/two-tier upgrades with Sixt in Germany and I am very, very happy with SIXT Germany). I knew that in the US Platinums can get a free two-tier upgrade (subject to availability, I know).
My booking was at Sixt Venice Beach for an XCAR (5-series, E-class, XTS). When I showed up for pickup, the Venice Beach station told me that the only car they had available in that class was an XTS. I didn't really want an XTS and I asked the branch manager what can the XTS be upgraded to, given my Platinum status and my willingness to pay extra, if needed. The guy told me to go to SIXT LAX and ask for vehicle exchange, as SIXT LAX would have the largest vehicle selection in town.

SIXT LAX Visit one (Sept 15):
I come to SIXT LAX and start asking about vehicle exchange and an upgrade to my current XCAR. I am given several answers:
- my XCAR is the highest sedan class and is not upgradeable. Had I booked a car two classes lower, I would've gotten a free two-tier upgrade to XCAR.
- vehicle exchange is not possible at the moment, the only car that they can give me is another XTS.
- come back later today, we'll look at what vehicles have been returned.

Sixt LAX visit two (Sept 16).
I drove my XTS around a little and I started hating it. This car does not belong in the same class as BMW 5-Series/E-class. Think of it as an Impala with ventilated seats. Its all-touchscreen infotainment system is slow and unresponsive (think touchscreen Nokia in 2009) and distracts from driving. The engine and the gearbox in this car are in a constant state of disagreement/argument and seem like on the verge of divorcing - response to throttle input is laggy, non-linear and completely unpredictable. In my opinion, the XTS is not a safe car drive, particularly when accelerating/changing lanes on the freeway.

So, as previously agreed with the station, I come to SIXT LAX next afternoon. At the station I explain that I would like to exchange my XTS for something else, preferably a BMW or an Audi (I am more familiar with their navi systems). No vehicles available for exchange. Sorry, only Cadillacs. Now I am getting a little tired of this and ask the manager to explore other classes - I am willing to settle for a smaller vehicle or pay for an upgrade to a larger vehicle. Anything but the Cadillac. The lady (branch manager or branch supervisor, I don't remember. And what is it with SIXT people at LAX not wearing name tags? I wish I could give you names of the staff that I interacted with, but they did not wear name tags) tells me she can put me into a smaller class at the same daily rate (!) or put me in a different class - convertibles/coupes, but at an additional charge. At this stage I am getting a little tired of everything and agree with the convertible. So I am getting an upgrade to an LTAR (BMW 4-Series convertible) for +$40/day. I sign the paperwork and proceed to my new car. I am quite tired by now and don't pay attention to the vehicle's condition. In a few blocks I realize that my car's interior is dirty. And the dirt is not the hard-to-remove kind, but of the kind that comes off easily, no super effort required. So I drive back and hand back the keys for the 4-series and ask the lady (branch manager, I suppose. no name tag on her) to put a hold on the car/prebook me/put an asterisk next to my name/do anything thing that is necessary to make sure that next time I come for vehicle exchange I do get a 5-series/A6/E-class. The lady says that she can't do that, that they don't book specific cars, only specific classes, the usual story. Since I returned my 4-series, they had to give me another car. That car was a brand new... Cadillac XTS, with 20 miles on the odo. By that stage it was getting quite late and I had to leave this wonderful location.

SIXT LAX Visit three (Sept 17, early afternoon):
Before talking to the branch supervisor/manager (different lady this time), I walked around their garage. I approach her and ask about vehicle exchange. Same story - no vehicles available for exchange, only XTSs.
-Are there any other options at other Sixt LA locations?
-No, sorry, can't help you, blah-blah-blah.
-But you have an E350 in the garage, can I take it?
-No, it has been RESERVED for another customer.
-..., your colleague told me that you can't reserve specific vehicles? Was it reserved for me?
- No, it was for a different customer.
- I've indicated that I prefer a BMW in my booking, how come I didn't get what I asked for?
- Sir, we reserve vehicle class but we don't reserve specific vehicles.

I am getting massively frustrated by this. I am determined to ditch the XTS and get something different. I agree to stop by in 3 hours, as another e350 is expected to be dropped off (Can you hold this car for me until either later tonight or tomorrow morning? No, we don't reserve a particular car, we reserve vehicle class).
I call the station in two hours and it turns out a E350 is available. I race to SIXT LAX to get my vehicle exchanged. I can't me to the branch manager and hand her keys from the XTS. She smiles and says that no vehicle exchanges are possible at this moment BECAUSE THEIR SYSTEM IS DOWN! ok, I wait 15 minutes, then another fifteen, then half an hour, another 30 minutes. the que of people is growing, but some customers are getting their cars, even when the system is down! People are becoming quite upset, but SIXT staff ignore them and don't Bother to explain how long will the system reboot last and how come some people are gettnig their cars and some aren't. After about two hours the branch manager lady decided to process vehicle issue/exchange manually. I got my e350 and drove back to my hotel.
Oh, and the E350 was pretty barebones - no navi, no parking assist, no keyless. Still massively better than the XTS.

Conclusion: will stick with Sixt Germany, where I am getting fantastic service and treatment. Will avoid Sixt in the US.

hi ,

from january 2017 they changed .. they dont want upgrade they unpolite. i rental MB , GLS , and i m a sixt diamond card member i asked upgrade she told me you reserved highest category so we cannt upgrade i asked range rover sport ? answer no its special car. but when i book just total 120 usd was difffernt ( for 6days) and than i asked can i change car with seat cooler one they checked , and said , if you wait 30 minues we can bring cadillac its has a cooler one. i waited 40mins they bring it, but no cooler in seat and supervisior came she s telling me we cant graunty cooler seat. but she s uneducated because i already there and they are chechking waiting me 40 mins and than sorry we dont promise not guarantee so why u waited me . ok i ll take GLS and she told me we already gave it another customer . they are so boring at LAX sixt...
Old Sep 17, 2017, 3:02 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by gokmen80
they dont upgrade anymore special cars or luxury cars ...
Really. Not even Diamonds?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Thumbs up

I received outstanding customer service at Sixt LAX two weeks ago.
I had really only booked them because the rate on Expedia for that rental class was far cheaper compared to the other companies.

Due to illness, I had to delay my travels by 2 days.
So I showed up at Sixt 2 days late without ever notifying them about this.
My very cheap Expedia booking for a PFAR was not only honored, but the missed two days were simply added to the end (1 week rental total).
Didn't even try to sell me additional insurances.
No hidden fees, no sketchy moves when returning the car.

Like with any car rental agency, it's probably a hit or miss.
In the meantime I now also received my Sixt Platinum card through a Statusmatch. Let's see what that'll change.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:38 pm

SIXT sux

Poor service. Hyped ads for Mercedes...but end-up with a Kia. Platinum status is useless. Beware the ripoff $150 cleaning fee imposed for no good reason. They make you acknowledge every ding..
BEFORE YOU EVEN GET THE CAR.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:58 am

Programs: QR Silv,Sixt Plat
So I guess it's still is more Cadillac than Mercedes for the XCAR category?
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by netlord
So I guess it's still is more Cadillac than Mercedes for the XCAR category?
I've had E-Classes and S90s on XCAR bookings before, so it's a mix depending on what's available when you're there. The last S90 I had two weeks ago was a fully-loaded LWB Inscription T6 AWD model. And on a positive note, the XTS is getting replaced with CTS and CT6 models, both of which are better equipped and much nicer to drive.

I've mentioned it in other threads, but for those accustomed to Sixt in Europe, especially in the UK and Germany, be prepared to lower your expectations, IMO. It just seems that Sixt in the US has positioned themselves more for cheap occasional leisure rentals, so their treatment of business or frequent renters leaves much to be desired. I have yet to see any US location have a very efficient Express process like at many European airports. As an example, I showed up to LAX this week to pick up an LCAR and the general pickup line was pretty full. There was a separate Platinum line which I stood in, but was ignored by agents the whole time -- I ended up waiting about 20-30 minutes, and then another 15-20 minutes to go through the whole rental process that should have been covered by Express service. Supposedly Platinum members can also use the Diamond Lounge as well, but it was unstaffed and closed.

LAX is one of the better locations though, as they actually honor the Platinum two-class upgrade benefit most times (agents at other locations have tried to upsell me to what should be a standard Platinum upgrade). I usually push about 60-120 rental days through Sixt and that's only because of the upgrade policy and pricing for LCAR and above (which are usually more reasonable than the major companies). For PCAR and below though, I would never choose over Sixt over National (especially at LAX, their location is probably the best in the National system, IMO).
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Sixt Platinum
Thanks to everyone who co tributed here so far, very useful thread.

My wife and I have a 16 day holiday coming up in the 2nd half of March and there will be a lot of driving. We arrive into LAX, pick up the car and do a big tour via Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Lake Tagoe, San Francisco and then to San Jose from where we’ll be flying back home.

I currently have a Mustang converible reserved (did that a while ago so relatively reasonable priced) and am now considering changing it to something more comfortable due to the long distances we’ll be driving, the fact that my wife will be in the 2nd trimester of her pregnancy and that we’ll probably also have a bit more luggage. Was thinking to get any of the Mercedes’ currently on offer (GLA, C class, E class, GLC) because of more comfort and space.
I got the Platinum status a couple of months ago via actually renting cars so should be eligible for the double upgrade...

A hypothetical question - S class and other X... vehicles are currently shown as sold out for our dates - would there then simply be no upgrade or would they go above and beyond if I would book an E class now?

Any views are greatly appreciated!
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:29 am

I'll be flying into LAX tomorrow night, I get in around 11:30PM. First time renting with SIXT. I rented a XCAR. I'm hoping they actually have the Mercedes available or at least the Volvo. I really don't want the Cadillac. I would even accept a downgrade to a PCAR or LCAR if I could get a Mercedes, Volvo or Jaguar from the lower classes. Any one have any idea what my chances are from there prior experience at SIXT LAX?
Old Feb 15, 2018, 8:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Just finished a rental at LAX with mixed opinions.

Rented a Mercedes C300 convertible for $40/day for a weekend up in Santa Barbara / Santa Ynez Valley. Fantastic rate...other agencies were $50+ for the more-common convertibles like Mustangs, Buicks, etc. Anything in the Benz/BMW category was $100+ elsewhere...or unavailable.

We got lucky on the bus: walked out of T1 and straight onto the bus. At the rental facility, however, it was chaos. I had completed all of the online check-in requirements and was expecting to simply show ID, grab my keys, and go. But no - no matter what, you must stand in line with everyone else. The line moves slowly because they're pitching upgrades, insurance, prepaid fuel, etc. to everyone. Finally, after 12-15 minutes, I have my paperwork and have to walk outside to get into *another* line - this one for the guy who actually orders the cars to be brought up. They were still cleaning my Mercedes, so it was another 15 minutes. As I was waiting, I observed two different customers who had just returned cars arguing about different things - one about a door ding and the other about whether the guy had smoked in the car. (Sixt said he did, the guy denied it.) Without knowing who was right or wrong about either case, it was obvious this was going to be one of those places where there's a battle at return-time.

The rental itself was great...fun car to have for $40/day and perfect weather all weekend for it.

Return was a super-detailed walkaround, with the return agent noting every tiny scratch. Fortunately I'd done my own walkaround before the rental so I knew where the scratches were - my only minor mistake was that the notes in the rental agreement weren't clear about which side one of the scratches was on, and I didn't make them clarify it ahead of time. But since the total number of little scratches matched the total noted on the original rental agreement, she closed out the rental with no further charges. It just took a little bit of discussion to get to that point.

Wait for a bus back to LAX was only a couple minutes.

In conclusion, the only way I'd go back to this location is for a crazy-cheap rate on a high-end car. They seem to rent a lot of Mercedes, Jags, etc. out of this location, so if you want to drive something fun for a fraction of what Hertz typically charges for their Prestige cars, it might be worth it. But I'd *never* rent a basic midsize/full-size type car here - the act of waiting in the lines kills off any value you get in the form of a slightly lower rate.
flockavelliFT likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by sPaCePiR8
Thanks to everyone who co tributed here so far, very useful thread.

My wife and I have a 16 day holiday coming up in the 2nd half of March and there will be a lot of driving. We arrive into LAX, pick up the car and do a big tour via Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Lake Tagoe, San Francisco and then to San Jose from where we’ll be flying back home.

I currently have a Mustang converible reserved (did that a while ago so relatively reasonable priced) and am now considering changing it to something more comfortable due to the long distances we’ll be driving, the fact that my wife will be in the 2nd trimester of her pregnancy and that we’ll probably also have a bit more luggage. Was thinking to get any of the Mercedes’ currently on offer (GLA, C class, E class, GLC) because of more comfort and space.
I got the Platinum status a couple of months ago via actually renting cars so should be eligible for the double upgrade...

A hypothetical question - S class and other X... vehicles are currently shown as sold out for our dates - would there then simply be no upgrade or would they go above and beyond if I would book an E class now?

Any views are greatly appreciated!
FWIW, several locations have told me before that they will only upgrade to an XCAR at most (i.e. book PCAR for the two-class upgrade), so booking LCAR and above may not get you much of an upgrade. It's not in the terms though, so no idea how true that is or not -- and it wouldn't be the first time a Sixt agent has given me incorrect information. That said, one time I did book an XCAR at Seattle and they gave me a 6-Series convertible as a Platinum upgrade.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
In conclusion, the only way I'd go back to this location is for a crazy-cheap rate on a high-end car. They seem to rent a lot of Mercedes, Jags, etc. out of this location, so if you want to drive something fun for a fraction of what Hertz typically charges for their Prestige cars, it might be worth it. But I'd *never* rent a basic midsize/full-size type car here - the act of waiting in the lines kills off any value you get in the form of a slightly lower rate.
This is exactly my rationale for when I will use Sixt in the US.

I've been doing monthly rentals with LAX since November, so I'll put up with the inefficient lines, lack of Express/Quick Check-In, upgrade shenanigans and questionable customer service for their cheap LCAR/XCAR rates. Although after the subpar experience I had this week when trying to exchange a car with a mechanical issue, sometimes I wonder if it's still worth the hassle for the cost savings...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.