Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Sixt | Sixt Card
Reload this Page >

Sixt at LAX [merged experience reports]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sixt at LAX [merged experience reports]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2018, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A few months ago I had a reservation for a minivan. Upon checking their lot I found out most minivans were a Mercedes model, which is clearly inferior (seats, overall confort) that other minivans such as Toyota Sienna, even Chrysler compares favorably. Decided to play it safe and got a nice Sienna from Midway.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:05 am
THN

So my rental experience: Rented an XFAR for 10 days (60 USD pr. day - rented well in advance). Got an Cadillac Escalade with 11000 miles on the clock. Overall good, nice experience. When I arrived it was slightly chaotic as it was wednesday around 15:00 - and it seems this was a common occurence wed afternoon as it seems the central systems (run out of Germany for what I know) had a down-time here (corresponds to midnight mid-week in Germany). Considering what Hertz. Avis etc. would have charged I can live with a bit of confusion here. As for the overall service: the Cadillac was a bit above the size I would have preferred (as I would have preferred an Volvo XC90 or BMW X5 which was the same class) - but overall I found it to be OK - and overall experience (nice car for a good price and fine service) - yes I would come back.
Halvorho likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Diamond, Hilton Gold,
This was the first time I have rented with Sixt at LAX. Previously I have used Hertz but the rates at Sixt were so much cheaper. Booked an LTAR and the website suggested it would be a BMW 4 series or Mercedes C Class Convertible, which was very good value for money.

Before collecting the car I used the Sixt App which showed I would receive a 4 series but it didn't show any details such as mileage. Other options were provided at the same cost or additional fee. I wrongly thought I would get the same options once at the Sixt branch.

I was offered two Mercedes C Class Convertibles with 8000 and 12000 miles on the clock, a Volvo S80, Cadillac CTS for the same price or a Mercedes GLE for an additional $20 per day. I was going to switch to the MB C Class but foolishly didn't. Once I got to the branch there was no discussion on car options even though I asked repeatedly but my questions weren't answered. I was invited by email to the Diamond area but this was not being used and didn't seem to offer any benefits. I received a BMW 4 series that had over 30,000 on the clock and a damage list that was pages long. Later I found certain entertainment controls didn't work. I was assured that there was a 0 deductible so didn't need to check the damage. When I returned the car they added damage to the wing mirror that I hadn't noticed, and couldn't see what they were claiming, and certainly hadn't been in the vehicle when any damage had occurred.

I would summarise the experience as follows:
  • very poor customer services on picking up the car. Basically they wouldn't discuss the options I had been offered on the App but which disappeared once I was in the branch
  • If you are looking for a nice car don't expect it to be in good condition
  • I would be concerned to rent without a 0 deductible as even with my battered car they identified further unrecorded damage. If you needed to check the car for the reported damage it would take haven taken a great deal of time.

I would recommend that if you rent do check online/ in the app (I think it offers it in both) for the car options provided and select before you get to the branch.
flockavelliFT likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 7:22 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by flyoff
I would recommend that if you rent do check online/ in the app (I think it offers it in both) for the car options provided and select before you get to the branch.
A station agent can still override your choice in the app if they want to. My local station here in Munich is always rather annoyed when I pick my own car in the app because it interferes with their buy up spiel where they first pick the shabbiest possible car in that category, print out a preliminary piece of paper and then say 'for only xx€/day you could have an xyz'
Old Mar 1, 2018, 1:20 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Diamond, Hilton Gold,
Originally Posted by oliver2002
...... pick the shabbiest possible car in that category, print out a preliminary piece of paper and then say 'for only xx€/day you could have an xyz'
Shabby was a good word for what I received. Perhaps I blew his sales pitch of offering a different vehicle. I got the extra insurance pitch which is the only time the agent could be bothered to talk.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:30 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
So is the general consensus that things have gotten worse since Maria left? I've rented approx 150 days from Sixt LAX the last 3 years, but my last pickup was somewhat of a nightmare "The computer tells me I can't upgrade you without charging you." An hour later: free upgrade.

When Maria was GM, I felt treated like royalty, but she is gone and I certainly did not have that feeling.

Reading here, it sounds like that may be the new normal? Have reservations tonight for both SIXT and Hertz (PC) and thinking it may be time to give Hertz a try. I did think to try calling the new GM but of course, the SIXT LA phone number does not allow any way at all to connect with someone at SIXT LA.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:49 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
How's the XFAR line up looking like at LAX lately?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
What are the chances of getting a Escalade at LAX?

Noticing all XFAR are sold out and I have a reservation for next week Friday, I don’t want to get stuck with a Volvo.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: SAS EBS, IHG Spire Elite, Hertz Five Star and Sixt Gold
Originally Posted by holmes87
How's the XFAR line up looking like at LAX lately?
Anyone that can tell this? I have only rented XCAR, LCAR and LFAR and now I'm thinking of trying XFAR since we will have a lot of luggage on the next trip
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: A3*G/KFEG
I'll share my experience here. Booked a PFAR for over 2 weeks. I preselected a Volvo XC60 using the app when my flight landed at LAX.

Jumped the queue with my Platinum card, agent (Sharmaine) checked my card and proceeded to pull up my booking. Confirmed that I booked a PFAR and pre-selected an XC60 earlier.

She started recommending other cars, such as an Evoque, Cadillac, CX-9. Told her none of these interest me, but I'll take a GLC if they had one. I also asked if I could add an additional driver and she said she'll do it for free.

She made a phone call to check for a GLC and then proceeded selling me CDW and LDW. I declined as I had coverage already, she flipped and said my coverage is invalid and insisted I purchase LDW. She further pressured by saying that if I get pulled over by the cops, they will not be held liable etc. I told her it's fine I'll just collect the car with my supposed invalid coverage.

So she started saying that I was rude and was being difficult, I wasn't interested in an argument after a 13 hours flight. She didn't add an additional driver for me nor did she check further for a GLC. Took the keys and left with the XC60. Ended up being a decent pick, it had less than 1000 miles albeit a little low on options.

All in all, the car was fine but the customer service was disappointing.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by razorblade
I'll share my experience here. Booked a PFAR for over 2 weeks. I preselected a Volvo XC60 using the app when my flight landed at LAX.

Jumped the queue with my Platinum card, agent (Sharmaine) checked my card and proceeded to pull up my booking. Confirmed that I booked a PFAR and pre-selected an XC60 earlier.

She started recommending other cars, such as an Evoque, Cadillac, CX-9. Told her none of these interest me, but I'll take a GLC if they had one. I also asked if I could add an additional driver and she said she'll do it for free.

She made a phone call to check for a GLC and then proceeded selling me CDW and LDW. I declined as I had coverage already, she flipped and said my coverage is invalid and insisted I purchase LDW. She further pressured by saying that if I get pulled over by the cops, they will not be held liable etc. I told her it's fine I'll just collect the car with my supposed invalid coverage.

So she started saying that I was rude and was being difficult, I wasn't interested in an argument after a 13 hours flight. She didn't add an additional driver for me nor did she check further for a GLC. Took the keys and left with the XC60. Ended up being a decent pick, it had less than 1000 miles albeit a little low on options.

All in all, the car was fine but the customer service was disappointing.
That "welcome" must've sucked to receive after a long flight....

One question: I've read about more people than you "pre-selecting" there cars. I've never seen this option. What's the requierment to be able to select a car before picking it up? Thanks !
Old Jun 29, 2018, 2:11 am

Programs: A3*G/KFEG
Originally Posted by xZ4sdDMlSu4aiq63
That "welcome" must've sucked to receive after a long flight....

One question: I've read about more people than you "pre-selecting" there cars. I've never seen this option. What's the requierment to be able to select a car before picking it up? Thanks !
Yeah it's a bummer especially being jetlagged after a long flight.

You can pre-select a car with the Sixt app, download it on the app store and key in your reservation details. You will be allowed to pre-select a few hours before your booking I think. But do take note that the agent can still override your choice.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:17 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Sixt agents hate that you can see the inventory in your booked category on the app: most stations deactivate the option. The usual spiel by agents is to pick the rattiest brand to convince you to agree to an upsell (either extra per day for the better car or for silly insurances you don't need). It seems they get incentives for that from their employer.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by razorblade
Yeah it's a bummer especially being jetlagged after a long flight.

You can pre-select a car with the Sixt app, download it on the app store and key in your reservation details. You will be allowed to pre-select a few hours before your booking I think. But do take note that the agent can still override your choice.

Okay I guess since I often land, and haven't had internet during the flight, right before I have set for pick up I never get that choice. Thank you for response !
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Sixt agents hate that you can see the inventory in your booked category on the app: most stations deactivate the option. The usual spiel by agents is to pick the rattiest brand to convince you to agree to an upsell (either extra per day for the better car or for silly insurances you don't need). It seems they get incentives for that from their employer.
I don't travel that much so with my experience I don't have the guts to ask for something If I want a "fancy" car I pick something premium just to be sure that I, almost, get what I want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.