Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Sixt | Sixt Card
Reload this Page >

Apperantly: New upgrade policy in Germany

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Apperantly: New upgrade policy in Germany

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH:SEN++ 2012, FB Plat,AMX:PLA/CRB, *WOOD:PLA,Sixt:Diamond , LuckyStrike:Red, others
Exclamation Apperantly: New upgrade policy in Germany

Sixt seems to roll out a new policy when it comes to upgrades.
It looks, as if they now pickup the customer friendly idea to ask for upsells rather than giving away any upgrade for free.
Several occurences of this new behaviour have been reported on mietwagen-talk.de recently. I got litterally trapped myself. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19856226-post181.html).
Doing so, Sixt follows the idea to generate more revenue on the counter, just as the known 'premium' rental brands Dollar and Thrifty do.
Hint: In case they try to improve your experience through an upsell, try to negotiate ! At least the upsell amounts can be negotiated.

Last edited by MichaelFFM; Dec 17, 2012 at 5:06 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 18, 2012, 5:28 am

maybe Gary can comment if this new upgrade policy is only valid for Germany or also infected the UK.

for explanation: it basically means: offer the customer the crappiest car on the lot - even if it may be a downgrade - and then sell him a bigger one for more money.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 7:04 am
Company Representative - Sixt

Programs: www.sixtblog.co.uk; http://www.facebook.com/sixtrentacaruk
Let me start by saying, Sixt has no policy to downgrade any customer, in fact our rule is never to downgrade a customer.

We are looking after our customer just the same as always and there is no change to the upgrade policy for our regular customers such as our Platinum and Diamond. I apologise if individual perception is different.

And of course we will also offer our customer the choice to upsell but we have been doing this just the same for a long time already. Our only aim is to provide a friendly service with a positive feel.

I will be more happy to listen and to look into any specific cases if you'd like to send me the details in a private message. Thanks Gary.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 5:20 am

Programs: BA Blue, Sixt Platinum, HH Gold
This could have been a lot more credible if it weren't for the spelling errors and general childish rant vibe I'm getting from the first two posts...
Old Dec 19, 2012, 1:11 pm

Dearest Syme, may I apologize to your heinous that we are not up to your upmost english perfection. Maybe you can forgive us.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 6:34 am

Programs: LH Sen, SPG Plat
Well, at my last rental in Hamburg I had the choice when my booked category was not available: downgrade at the same price (certainly the agent didn't tell me about the downgrade, she was trying to get away with it by saying what a nice car she has got for me) or an upgrade for an additional fee. Only after some discussion (stating my platinum status) I was offered a free upgrade.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 9:03 am

which class was booked and which car was offered?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:12 pm

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
I just picked up a car today in Stuttgart, I booked a C class estate with a request for auto box. The lovely lady said they had a 525 x touring for me. The was no trying to upsell in fact she didn't even say it was an upgrade. Very nicely done compared to some companies who say what a nice car you are getting when it is only what was booked !
Old Mar 25, 2013, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA lifetime gold
Automatic

so what happens if you reserve an automatic transmission vehicle, whatever the category, and it is not available ? Will you be forced to accept a lower category or automatically get whatever higher category vehicle is available ?
Old Mar 26, 2013, 7:14 am

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
You might well get a choice,pay for the upgrade or have a manual. Probably depends on class you book and your status.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 1:27 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Had this twice by now. Booked a very basic car for the weekend which they could offer but said there would be no upgrade (me being Platinum) after I asked. However, I could upsell and then they quoted prices which were more expensice then what I would have paid on the website in the first place.
The SIXT representative also told me they are allowed to upgrade one, in exceptions two categories but NEVER more then that.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 7:11 am

nonsense.

if there is no other possiblity than a high upgrade, Sixt won't send the customer home without a car.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 6:09 am

Programs: LH Sen, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by sixtisbest
which class was booked and which car was offered?
Booked class was CPMR (which is BMW 1series, VW Golf GTI, Mercedes-Benz A-class) and car offered was Citroen DS3 which is ECMR...
Old Apr 21, 2013, 12:43 am

Booked PDAR at LGW. Offered Merc C180 (told it was an upgrade). What "policy" is this?

He was going by price! The PDAR is cheaper than the FDMR at LGW currently, rather oddly. Then he said he was confused and didn't know his cars - he has worked at Avis and Enterprise before Sixt...
Old Apr 21, 2013, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by mawi
Booked class was CPMR (which is BMW 1series, VW Golf GTI, Mercedes-Benz A-class) and car offered was Citroen DS3 which is ECMR...
Looks like they're trying to get away with it with customers who don't know the classes or their cars. Shoddy practice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.