SIXT - Upgrades

Old May 29, 2019, 2:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Originally Posted by eljai
- Platinum
- Paris - 2 Arrondissement near the Lourve (Paris 02 Vendome Opera)
- VW Golf VII MANUAL, VW T-Roc, Volvo V40 or similar to group CLMR
- VW Golf Auto w/ BlueMotion. I really wanted a manual but they said all they had was a downgrade to a Peugeot 208, or to get all the insurance they would upgrade to a Mercedes C-class.
I don't like the habit some agents in Sixt France have of trying to force you to take extra insurance for an upgrade. Normally if you insist they will upgrade anyway without insurance as a Platinum.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: baec
Ive booked a LWAR at Rostock City for 11 days. Im platinum via Flying Blue, and have booked via the Hilton Diamond-rate. Is an upgrade worth hoping for?

Were driving to Prague, which Ive told them in the booking process, so I guess the really interesting cars are out of question. But anyone knows what happens if they assign us with an XDAR or a LWAR Jaguar anyways? I dont suppose Sixt Rostock is over floating with luxury cars to choose from..
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:46 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Just in case for reference from Sixt Germany:

Territorial restrictions

The vehicle selection can restrict travel to certain countries. For a description of these restrictions on admission, the countries are divided into three zones.

Zone 1: Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Great Britain, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Sweden, Switzerland, Spain and Vatican

Zone 2: Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia

Zone 3: All countries which are not in zone 1 or 2.

Jaguar, Maserati, Land Rover and Porsche cars as well as all luxury cars may enter only in Zone 1 countries. Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Volkswagen cars up to group L*** are allowed to enter only in Zone 1 countries as well as Poland and the Czech Republic, while X*** cars are only allowed to enter in Zone 1 countries. Vehicles of all other brands may enter only in the zones 1 and 2.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 4:25 am

Programs: AY platinum, SIXT platinum, IHG platinum
Two recent:
GOT
Platinum
Booked CDAR (Mercedes A-class or similar)
Received Mercedes-Benz E220Td

TXL
Platinum
Booked FDAR (BMW 3-series or similar)
Received BMW 435d Gran Coupe
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:20 pm

Sixt Madrid

Traveling in late September. Is one of the 6 available Sixt locations in Madrid better than the rest? I remember last time I researched for a booking in Germany, airport and train stations had added costs. I think I'd prefer to pick up the car from one of the three city locations: Plaza Espana, Ministerios Castellana, or Nuevos Ministerios.

As always, I'm concerned with the "or similar" designation. Is there a list of all cars available for each ACRISS code for Spain as there is for Germany? i.e. the meit wagen - talk website linked in post 487?

No membership
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:42 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
GLA
Booked CDAR (Citroen C4 or similar)
Received BMW 320d

ABZ
Received BMW 218d

other things to note from these two recent experiences:
  • Agent at GLA was very nice. Told me that as Sixt Platinum I was entitled to a one category upgrade but he decided to bump me up further.
  • On the other hand, agent at ABZ insisted that a Platinum I had no entitlement to an upgrade but only to a discount. He even showed me his computer screen which had a "not entitled to upgrade" note on it - which, to be fair, seems to reflect the Sixt website which says that you need to do 10 rentals in a year to be entitled to upgrades. He tried hard (as with the customer before me) to sell me the full insurance cover, and also offered the BMW 3 series and the Jaguar F Pace as paid upgrades, which I declined. When I asked what I'd get if I declined the pay upgrade he pointed to a Renault outside and said 'something like that', but lo and behold 2 minutes later as he taps away he then says, 'oh actually I can upgrade you to a 2 series'.
  • I did a quick walk around of the ABZ SIxt car park and most of the 'standard' cars they had were manual - the only auto I could see that wasn't a higher category was the Skoda Octavia, so I sensed my chances of a complimentary upgrade were quite good.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Isochronous
GLA
Received BMW 320d

ABZ
Received BMW 218d

other things to note from these two recent experiences:
  • Agent at GLA was very nice. Told me that as Sixt Platinum I was entitled to a one category upgrade but he decided to bump me up further.
  • On the other hand, agent at ABZ insisted that a Platinum I had no entitlement to an upgrade but only to a discount. He even showed me his computer screen which had a "not entitled to upgrade" note on it - which, to be fair, seems to reflect the Sixt website which says that you need to do 10 rentals in a year to be entitled to upgrades. He tried hard (as with the customer before me) to sell me the full insurance cover, and also offered the BMW 3 series and the Jaguar F Pace as paid upgrades, which I declined. When I asked what I'd get if I declined the pay upgrade he pointed to a Renault outside and said 'something like that', but lo and behold 2 minutes later as he taps away he then says, 'oh actually I can upgrade you to a 2 series'.
  • I did a quick walk around of the ABZ SIxt car park and most of the 'standard' cars they had were manual - the only auto I could see that wasn't a higher category was the Skoda Octavia, so I sensed my chances of a complimentary upgrade were quite good.
Both of my rentals in Europe were upgrades without asking, Doesn't matter how you get PLT you should get everything that comes with it. We had a 216d in Italy and liked it, just wish it had a little more power but loved the range it had, we got over 800KM on a tank
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Sixt Platinum, Hertz Gold
DUS Airport
Booked PDAR
got BMW 7 Series (XDAR) - 400 hp!
but got charged 41 EUR for “choice upgrade” but the agent didn’t mention it.

DUISBURG
Booked LDAR
got LDAR - but hard to complain about an Audi A6 with 286 hp.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:09 am

Platinum
Tampa Airport
Booked XCAR (E-Class;Cadillac XTS)
Recieved Cadillac XT5 (LFAR)

was offered a Cadillac Escalade for 30$ a day(7day Rental)

Do you think this was an Upgrade or downgrade?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: National EE, Avis PP
Honestly, have had terrible luck with SIXT despite having Platinum

MUC
Booked STAR (Audi A3 Cab)
Received Audi A5 Sportsback TDI (so I guess PSAR?)

Munich Frottmaning
Booked LSAR (440i Coupe)
Received 530i Touring

Honestly felt that both were quite downgrades given status. Several times they refused to allow car switches or upgrades despite the presence of cars available. Given these were my first two times, I don't think I'll be renting again.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Sneeaky
Honestly, have had terrible luck with SIXT despite having Platinum

MUC
Booked STAR (Audi A3 Cab)
Received Audi A5 Sportsback TDI (so I guess PSAR?)

Munich Frottmaning
Booked LSAR (440i Coupe)
Received 530i Touring

Honestly felt that both were quite downgrades given status. Several times they refused to allow car switches or upgrades despite the presence of cars available. Given these were my first two times, I don't think I'll be renting again.
Kind of hard to say. A5 is clearly nicer than A3, but hardtop vs. convertible.
5 series bigger and nicer than 440, but sedan vs. coupe.

If you were going for convertible in the first case, and sporty in the second case, they're downgrades, although in the first case (and I think in the second), you got a more expensive car than you booked.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: QF Plat OWE / VA Plat
About to book an SSMR (BMW 2 Series Coupe or similar) at FRA for later this month (August 2019). Any idea of what I'll actually get, or be upgraded to? I've heard there are no Audi TTs on fleet at present. I don't want to end up with a Mercedes CLA, so I'll put that in the remarks.

I'm Sixt Platinum. A 220i coupe would suit me just fine; hopefully one is around!
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:58 am

Programs: AY platinum, SIXT platinum, IHG platinum
TXL
Platinum
Booked CPAR (Mercedes A-class or similar)
Received LDAR Audi A6 55 TDI quattro with the awful touchscreen/playstation interface, otherwise nice car to drive

TXL
Platinum
Booked PWAR (BMW 520 touring or similar)
Received LWAR Audi A6 avant 3.0 TDI quattro with traditional MMI interface (older model), despite the hot June weather this car had winter tires!

ALC
Platinum
Booked FDAR (BMW 3-series or similar)
Was offered all sorts of fancy X*AR paid upgrades for ridiculous cost, but eventually received PDAR Audi A6 40 TDI with the playstation free of charge.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 3:57 am

Booked: BMW X5 (XFAR)
Received: BMW X5 M50i (XJAN)

Usually I get a a diesel X5 or XC90 when renting the XFAR from this location, but was pleasantly surprised with the M50 upgrade.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: National EE, Avis PP
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Kind of hard to say. A5 is clearly nicer than A3, but hardtop vs. convertible.
5 series bigger and nicer than 440, but sedan vs. coupe.

If you were going for convertible in the first case, and sporty in the second case, they're downgrades, although in the first case (and I think in the second), you got a more expensive car than you booked.
True, and I'm aware I'm being a bit spoiled in this regard. But I was mostly expecting upgrades in the same class since if I wanted a general upgrade, I would have reserved a sedan; coupes and convertibles carry a upcharge over their sedan/wagon counterparts and I was charged their rates despite not having either.

The 530i was pleasantly well-loaded granted. HUD, Lane-keep assist, and other tech goodies, but I had preferred something more engaging since I was making a night-run from Nuremberg to Berlin so something to keep me awake
I guess Lane-keep assist helped

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.