SIXT - Upgrades

Old May 16, 2024, 7:36 pm

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Ewww, a FWD BMW, no thanks.
Only the coupe is RWD.. all the others are FWD.. you're right. I had no idea BMW would do that.
Old May 17, 2024, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by Wiggums
Only the coupe is RWD.. all the others are FWD.. you're right. I had no idea BMW would do that.
I"m fully aware the Coupe is RWD, that is why my comment. BMW owns Mini, the 2 series sedans are based off the Mini's.
Old May 18, 2024, 8:50 am

What are the upgrade routes possible for booking an X5 other than a X7? (platinum from hertz) Booking from SF Mission most likely. Or would taking a chance of booking a 5 Series / X3 would work better (and possible upgrade to x5) ?
Old May 25, 2024, 9:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (Full), Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Wyndham DIA, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Hide
What are the upgrade routes possible for booking an X5 other than a X7? (platinum from hertz) Booking from SF Mission most likely. Or would taking a chance of booking a 5 Series / X3 would work better (and possible upgrade to x5) ?
I've used SF Mission location a few times. I didn't book a SUV but seems like I always get generous upgrades here. I booked a BMW 2 Series (because it was the cheapest) last time and got a Mini Cooper Convertible. The FD agent was searching the best car possible for me, but I asked if I could get the Mini and she was fine with it. Plat from Executive Elite/President Circle.
Old May 29, 2024, 8:34 pm

At FLL, I had reserved a 3 series but got a beautiful Genesis G80. No complaints.

Downtown Manhattan NYC, i had reserved an x1 but got a new 3 series. Again no complaints.
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Jun 8, 2024, 12:32 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist

Car Class Reserved: BMW 3-series or equivalent

Car Received: Audi A4 Avant Allroad Quattro (Diesel)

~2 weeks hire and the chatty agent that was more comfortable speaking English than German was offering all kinds of different cars (many would have been substantial upgrades) without actually mentioning that he wanted to collect an extra chunk of money for them though I knew the spiel to bait and hook first before revealing the extra cost. Offered were a BMW M135i for extra 30/day and a BMW M440i convertible for extra 70/day or even a 7-series (forgot the extra). The add on charges ask was definitely rather rich for my taste considering my booking was for a 3-series already and what it would have costed extra to book such a car outright from the start, so I wasn't tempted. Overpriced, especially for the M440i, which was ~20-25 more per day when I booked.

Additionally, as the places we were going to (e.g. narrow streets and mountain roads in Austria) didn't require anything super fast (Austria is very strict on speed these days with severe $$$ penalties), I asked for something the size I had booked and given there were no sedans available he offered a newish petrol A4 Avant (front wheel drive) which I guess counts as an approx.1/day value upgrade - yeah Platinum at work .

I asked if he had anything with all-wheel drive as the weather was still flaky in late April and he had a well equipped Audi A4 Allroad (big diesel engine) that fit our needs perfectly (again, had one last year too) though it had a surprising 53k km on the clock. The car had a long list of documentated damages, mostly scratches and mini dents or so, but no issue for us. What was missing and not yet captured was the trunk cover, which I reported and it was documented by one of the Sixt staff in the pick up area of the parking garage before leaving.

I returned the car at Munich airport again and received an email with my final bill the next day with no new, additional damage being claimed, but then I always have the full coverage with 0 Euro deductible from Sixt, so they are not likely to "invent" damage in my experience. YMMV.
Ordpc likes this.

Last edited by demue; Jun 9, 2024 at 4:12 am
Old Jun 12, 2024, 10:48 am

Programs: United Gold *G, Nexus/GE, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Location - San Francisco Mission District
Status - Platinum (match from National)
Booked - i4 or similar (really wanted to try this out)
Received - 430i Gran Coupe

Wanted to try out the i4, and was about to get an xDrive 40, but unfortunately there was an issue with the car's registration. The agent very generously offered to upgrade me to any car in the lot, even up to the X7, but I didn't want such a large car. I ended up taking a very nice 430i Gran Coupe, which worked for me. He mentioned that they usually do have several i4s available, but it was the luck of the draw that day.
demue and Ordpc like this.
Old Jun 19, 2024, 7:57 pm

For those of you familiar with the Frankfurt/other German locations, what cars would I typically find in the CWMR category? Sixt website lists the Cupra Leon Estate as the sample model, but I've got to believe that's a bit too good to be true.
Old Jun 19, 2024, 8:21 pm

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by highlanderfil
For those of you familiar with the Frankfurt/other German locations, what cars would I typically find in the CWMR category? Sixt website lists the Cupra Leon Estate as the sample model, but I've got to believe that's a bit too good to be true.
CWMR.. thanks to my extensive use of EasySABRE, I remember the SIPP codes. That's Compact Wagion with Manual Transmission and air conditioning. Could be VW Golf wagon or Ford Focus wagon. Cupra is upscale and a whole lot sportier.
highlanderfil likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2024, 12:13 am

Reserved and prepaid XDAR in BER for today and they updated my reservation to XFAR which is an inferior BMW X5 and without the diesel supplement I paid extra, and they kept the price the same even though the diesel option is no longer there. Not happy about that....
Old Jun 20, 2024, 6:17 am

Programs: Aer Club Silver | BAEC Bronze | ALL Silver | Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by highlanderfil
Not sure how helpful this is as it's almost 1 year out of date but they had a very nice Seat Leon estate on the lot last July.

Thanks!
highlanderfil likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2024, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Wiggums
CWMR.. thanks to my extensive use of EasySABRE, I remember the SIPP codes. That's Compact Wagion with Manual Transmission and air conditioning. Could be VW Golf wagon or Ford Focus wagon. Cupra is upscale and a whole lot sportier.
Yeah, I knew the Cupra, even the 150PS version, was probably going to flatter to deceive. Kind of like the old CPMR days when they had a VW GTI listed and I invariably got an Audi A3 with 125PS.
Old Jul 9, 2024, 8:42 pm

A little late posting but this was at the start of the year.

Status - Platinum (status match)
Reserved - X5 (XFAR)
Received - X6 xdrive 40i with 11k miles
Old Jul 10, 2024, 9:28 am

Status: Platinum (the permanent kind, no complimentary upgrades)
Reserved: XDAR - BMW 740d - Paid Extra for Diesel
Received: A big downgrade to XFAR BMW X5 which did not have diesel.

I am extremely disappointed with Sixt. I even paid more for insurance because my credit card coverage goes up to $100,000 and the 740d could cost around $140,000.

Instead, they gave me a petrol BMW X5 and I did not even need insurance as these cars cost far less.

It was probably the only time I was disappointed with Sixt!
Old Today, 1:41 am

I've just starting using SIXT this year as I have moved overseas from the US but still travel back and forth quite often. So far have had 3 rentals with an average rental time of 14 days and status matched to Platinum. On my third rental (first in MCO) finally offered an upgrade.

Status - Platinum (Status Match)
Reserved - X5 (XFAR)
Offered - X7

Didn't take the upgrade though as the car was in another terminal and didn't feel like dealing with the headache and time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.