SIXT - Upgrades

Old Oct 5, 2010, 2:33 pm
  #46  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Posts: 6,913
another FRA rental:
-VW Golf
-Audi TT convert.

The car is nothing to write home about though and I was more than happy to return it yesterday.
totti is offline  
Old Oct 8, 2010, 5:46 pm
  #47  
ixs
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Programs: Many
Posts: 773
STR Rental.

EBMN (Smart fortwo) rented
ETMR (Smart fortwo cabrio) received

I think neither I, not Sixt considers that an upgrade. I first received a car which was damaged. The ABS light as well as the general warning light were lit on the dashbord. When they were checking to see if they have a replacement car the lady mentioned that the upgrade offer does not apply for the Smart models. *shrug*

cheers,
andreas
ixs is offline  
Old Oct 11, 2010, 11:28 am
  #48  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Posts: 6,913
Originally Posted by ixs
When they were checking to see if they have a replacement car the lady mentioned that the upgrade offer does not apply for the Smart models. *shrug*
Are you talking about Sixt or Sixti rentals? I did receive an upgrade with I rented a car with Sixt but Sixti is probably a totally different story.
totti is offline  
Old Oct 11, 2010, 9:59 pm
  #49  
ixs
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Programs: Many
Posts: 773
Originally Posted by totti
Are you talking about Sixt or Sixti rentals? I did receive an upgrade with I rented a car with Sixt but Sixti is probably a totally different story.
That was a regular Sixt rental for 10hrs and cost about 54EUR which, as far as I understand the rules, should give an upgrade. I never tried Sixti.

I assumed the staff was wrong or unwilling or whatever but was in a hurry and besides, I'm not the type to throw a hissy fit. :-) I needed the car just for a few hours and for two trips the Smart is okay. But I would never get that car for any real driving, the noises the car makes are really strange.
ixs is offline  
Old Oct 14, 2010, 8:25 am
  #50  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Posts: 21,890
cheapest non-Smart car rental

Vienna (OW => SZG) Mazda 3 4DR

Opatija OW => SPU Hyundai i30 (or some model like that)
YVR Cockroach is online now  
Old Oct 15, 2010, 9:43 am
  #51  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: MUNICH, GERMANY
Programs: IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, HHonors Gold, Air Berlin Topbonus Gold, Miles & More FT, SIXT Diamond
Posts: 557
- Diamond
- Cologne Airport
booked -BMW 3er series
received - Mercedes E-class 250cdi
lemieux66 is offline  
Old Oct 15, 2010, 11:16 am
  #52  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Posts: 21,890
Dubrovnik Hilton
(don't want any German cars including VW as you cannot drive those into Montenegro and/or Bosnia & Hercegovina

Booked: cheapest non-Smart car
Got: Subaru Justy with 80k on it (sounded like a diesel but wasn't) &
Fiat Punto diesel also with 80k
YVR Cockroach is online now  
Old Oct 15, 2010, 3:57 pm
  #53  
ixs
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Programs: Many
Posts: 773
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Dubrovnik Hilton
(don't want any German cars including VW as you cannot drive those into Montenegro and/or Bosnia & Hercegovina

Booked: cheapest non-Smart car
Got: Subaru Justy with 80k on it (sounded like a diesel but wasn't) &
Fiat Punto diesel also with 80k
How did you like that car? I was in Serbia the other day and was considering getting a rental car but the selection was just not what I am used to... I'm totally spoiled by the Mercedes experience... But BMW is okay too.
ixs is offline  
Old Oct 18, 2010, 8:12 am
  #54  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Posts: 6,913
Originally Posted by ixs
That was a regular Sixt rental for 10hrs and cost about 54EUR which, as far as I understand the rules, should give an upgrade. I never tried Sixti.

I assumed the staff was wrong or unwilling or whatever but was in a hurry and besides, I'm not the type to throw a hissy fit. :-) I needed the car just for a few hours and for two trips the Smart is okay. But I would never get that car for any real driving, the noises the car makes are really strange.
I never tried Sixti as well IIRC but as mentioned above I got upgrades when I rented a Smart with Sixt. Anyway as mentioned before I never expect to get an upgrade as Sixt always has the "if available" clause and hence there is no guarantee. Having a Diamond Card makes it easier to get one though

Good luck for your next rentals
totti is offline  
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:26 am
  #55  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Posts: 21,890
Originally Posted by ixs
How did you like that car?.
The small cars drive just fine. Clutch on the diesel took some getting used to. Not sure if it was poorly adjusted. Picked up a cheapest non-Smart at BRI Sunday. Got offered a 2 door something or a 5 dr Fiat Panda. Took the Panda with just about 6k on it. If a little underpowered,l it is good on fuel and handy for driving in places like Matera.
YVR Cockroach is online now  
Old Oct 25, 2010, 3:02 pm
  #56  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Estonia
Programs: SK*G, LH SEN
Posts: 150
I basically cannot remember any rental with Sixt within the last 24 month without an upgrade. Usually reserve Golf-Category and the worst car I got so far was a VW Tiguan. The nicest upgrades this year have been so far:

FRA T1 : BMW M3 Convertible, Audi A8 4,2 TDI, BMW X5 3,0d and MB CL 500
TXL: Audi Q7 and BMW M3 Coupe
MUC: MB ML 320 CDI, BMW Z4 Roadster, Audi A5 Convertible

With Avis I got really lucky this summer at T1 in FRA. Customer booked a car for me (MB C-Class) and they gave me a Carrera 4S Convertible. It was only for 24 hours and return at the same station but nice upgrade.
Mr.Niels is offline  
Old Oct 25, 2010, 4:53 pm
  #57  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: BEG/DUS/FCO - YYZ/MRY
Programs: LH G, CO G, BA B, HH G, PC P, SW G, Sixt P, Hertz G and YES A|Club G :)
Posts: 800
Originally Posted by Mr.Niels
I basically cannot remember any rental with Sixt within the last 24 month without an upgrade. Usually reserve Golf-Category and the worst car I got so far was a VW Tiguan. The nicest upgrades this year have been so far:

FRA T1 : BMW M3 Convertible, Audi A8 4,2 TDI, BMW X5 3,0d and MB CL 500
TXL: Audi Q7 and BMW M3 Coupe
MUC: MB ML 320 CDI, BMW Z4 Roadster, Audi A5 Convertible

With Avis I got really lucky this summer at T1 in FRA. Customer booked a car for me (MB C-Class) and they gave me a Carrera 4S Convertible. It was only for 24 hours and return at the same station but nice upgrade.
You must be paying some unusally high rates for Golf class. May I ask, what is your status with Sixt - if you even have one...?
sindjic is offline  
Old Oct 25, 2010, 6:16 pm
  #58  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Estonia
Programs: SK*G, LH SEN
Posts: 150
Originally Posted by sindjic
You must be paying some unusally high rates for Golf class. May I ask, what is your status with Sixt - if you even have one...?
I negotiated 55 Euro for my company as a standard rate for a Golf, including the 20% Airport Surcharge. Why to pay more if I always get a suitable car?! I have a Diamond Card from Sixt somewhere, but I never use it since I hate carrying around all those cards. I always use my Amex Centurion Card at the counter and usually everything is already prepared. They called up my office a couple of times a few hours before I got to the station to ask if it is okay to give me a two seater or a convertible, so I am quite satisfied with Sixt. We tried Europcar and asked for the "meet at the gate option" but it never worked.
Mr.Niels is offline  
Old Oct 26, 2010, 6:41 am
  #59  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: BEG/DUS/FCO - YYZ/MRY
Programs: LH G, CO G, BA B, HH G, PC P, SW G, Sixt P, Hertz G and YES A|Club G :)
Posts: 800
Originally Posted by Mr.Niels
I negotiated 55 Euro for my company as a standard rate for a Golf, including the 20% Airport Surcharge.
Sweet ^

Thanks for sharing...
sindjic is offline  
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:39 am
  #60  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Posts: 21,890
Booked at Golf at the Munich city location (pricey but it was pricey everywhere due to a trade show). Received an A class MB with GPS which was nice given we didn't have a map of the area (drove to Austria, back to MUC, into Munich and back to MUC in 24 hrs).
YVR Cockroach is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.