Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beware the big black cabs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2009, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Angry Beware the big black cabs

Until now, visitors to Singapore could rely on the fact that any taxi waiting in a queue or hailed from the street would be same regulated price, be it a shiny white Mercedes limo or a beaten-up boxy Toyota... but no longer: SMRT has launched a fleet of big black Chrysler "premium" taxis, and not only do they charge $5 to get in (vs the usual $2.80-3.20), but the meter ticks up at $0.30/unit instead of $0.20/unit. Since most Singaporeans balk at this, they've now taken to picking up fares from the public taxi queue at Changi, and I ended up paying $30 for a ride that would cost $15 on an ordinary cab.

I've already dropped a note to Changi to suggest that they either ban these guys from the regular queue (after all, there's already a Limousine Desk) or at least give them a separate "Premium" section with the higher charges posted.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 11:15 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Thanks for the heads up. Heading over to SIN in the near future.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 6:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Gold
Almost wound up taking one of these cabs from a hotel on tanglin road a few weeks back... fortunately I glanced at the rate card and saw the extra charges. No thanks!
Old Aug 25, 2009, 7:25 pm

Programs: I am a lowly ant
Looks like a Chrysler 300C. A cheap car made to look expensive.... It's no Mercedes.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA 1P RCC, COGold, Hotels, Car Rentals +
Another thank you for the information as I will be there shortly as well.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 1:57 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Actually you don't have to take them when you see them standing in the taxi queue - for example, this morning at Changi the taxi "coordinator" asked me whether I wanted the black one or a normal one - no fuss when I said I'd go for the ordinary one...

Singaporeans are well known to have "Scottish genes" in their blood, nobody will turn a head if you take the normal taxi behind the Chrysler even in an ordinary queue.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 4:34 am

Programs: some
Thanks for the heads up.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 7:48 pm

Programs: nobody
Originally Posted by meester69
Looks like a Chrysler 300C. A cheap car made to look expensive.... It's no Mercedes.
Well the 300C do share some components from the older E-class. But I agree it is no Mercedes.

Thanks OP for the heads up.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 2:20 am

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by meester69
Still, its the only large American car with a decent driving experience...all the others drive like a boat or a couch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.