Wiki Posts
Search

A full day in Singapore!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2006, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt
A full day in Singapore!

On my MR, Im gonna get a chance to spend a full day in Singapore.

I love Chinese food and Indian food and would like to get something nice for my wife. I live in NYC so I'd prefer something that is either cheaper than what we could get here, or preferrably, different!

Any advice? I am looking for a Chili Crab place Hwa Yue Wee (?) and a place called Longbar for lunch, from earlier posts... any shopping recs? Must eat places?
Old Nov 25, 2006, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by tripmaster
Any advice? I am looking for a Chili Crab place Hwa Yue Wee (?) and a place called Longbar for lunch, from earlier posts... any shopping recs? Must eat places?
Have a great time on your MR!! All of us have our own 'favorite' places to eat while in SIN, but some names continue to crop up on these threads over and over...

Do a search for Food in the SIN forum and you'll be overwhelmed!! As for Chili Crab, I personally like the Esplanade location of No Signboard as it provides great people watching, is convenient to most hotels and has some really good food.

I think you're referring to the LongBar at Raffles Hotel. If so, I'd advise against going there for lunch (if they even serve lunch). There are other places to eat at Raffles such as the Tiffin Room, but again - I'd advise finding what sounds to you to be a good "local" Hawker place.
You'll find many, many recs here on the SIN board.

Lots of people swear by Tiong Bharu, and its very very good. You might want to hit the LongBar at Raffles for a Singapore Sling at some time, but go local for lunch.

Best, Dave
Old Nov 25, 2006, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Hey Dave!

Originally Posted by bseller
Have a great time on your MR!! All of us have our own 'favorite' places to eat while in SIN, but some names continue to crop up on these threads over and over...

Do a search for Food in the SIN forum and you'll be overwhelmed!! As for Chili Crab, I personally like the Esplanade location of No Signboard as it provides great people watching, is convenient to most hotels and has some really good food.

I think you're referring to the LongBar at Raffles Hotel. If so, I'd advise against going there for lunch (if they even serve lunch). There are other places to eat at Raffles such as the Tiffin Room, but again - I'd advise finding what sounds to you to be a good "local" Hawker place.
You'll find many, many recs here on the SIN board.

Lots of people swear by Tiong Bharu, and its very very good. You might want to hit the LongBar at Raffles for a Singapore Sling at some time, but go local for lunch.

Best, Dave
Hey Dave! Long time!

Yah, new job is gonna require more travel and old job hardly had me on plane, so I need to make 2 MRs before end of the year. Singapore and Tokyo. Never been to Singapore, and dont know anyone there either.

So many recommendations, just trying to see what's up to date... I read the Longbar lunch prix fixe here on FT actually. But I'd prefer to go local, since I get plenty of food like Longbar in NYC, I imagine...
Old Nov 26, 2006, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
But I'd prefer to go local, since I get plenty of food like Longbar in NYC, I imagine...
Sounds like a good plan.....
Something else to consider would be good Arab/Hallal food such as Zam-Zam's, or Indian in Little India...Lots of recs on this board and on other foodie sites.

Good luck with the new job!! Best, Dave
Old Nov 26, 2006, 7:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,

Never been to Singapore, and dont know anyone there either.

Good "starter" place for Asian travel! I call it the "comfort destination", because it is so Western and just about everyone speaks English. You might be able to convince yourself you are in downtown Honolulu at times when walking around.

Even if the shopping is expensive by Asian standards (relative to US shopping) its an awesome city with great people!
Old Nov 26, 2006, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Shopping?

Originally Posted by JC5280
Good "starter" place for Asian travel! I call it the "comfort destination", because it is so Western and just about everyone speaks English. You might be able to convince yourself you are in downtown Honolulu at times when walking around.

Even if the shopping is expensive by Asian standards (relative to US shopping) its an awesome city with great people!
Are there unique places to look for, shopping-wise? When I was in HK I went to Vivenne Tam, etc. and while available in NYC, there were definitely different things to get.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 6:16 am

Are there unique places to look for, shopping-wise? When I was in HK I went to Vivenne Tam, etc. and while available in NYC, there were definitely different things to get.
Singapore has one gazillion identikit malls that all look the same and stock the same crap... and one Mustafa Centre. Don't miss it.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

I'll go

Originally Posted by jpatokal
Singapore has one gazillion identikit malls that all look the same and stock the same crap... and one Mustafa Centre. Don't miss it.
I will report back!
Old Nov 28, 2006, 8:53 pm

Programs: UAL 1K, Million Miler
I am looking for a Chili Crab place Hwa Yue Wee (?) and a place called Longbar for lunch, from earlier posts... any shopping recs? Must eat places?
I just did a 1 day stopover in Singapore on Nov 21 on my way home from Kuala Lumpur. Orchard Road is all decked out for Christmas and there are hundreds of great food places along the mile-long stretch of shops. And, of course I had a Singapore Sling at the Long Bar, on the 2nd level of the famous Raffles Hotel. I had an incredible view of the city from my hotel room, on the 61st floor of the Swissotel (across the street from the Raffles Hotel) which I got, including breakfast, for $140 US for the night via Hotels.com. I highly recommend the Swissotel.

Grab a subway map and see most of the city in a single day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.