FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-510/)
-   -   Purchasing High End Watches in SIN (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore/621488-purchasing-high-end-watches-sin.html)

supari Nov 6, 2006 1:31 am

Purchasing High End Watches in SIN

Folks,

While in Singapore I am planning to buy couple of high end watches. So far I have been to Hour Glass next to Tangs and in Taka. Any advice where else I should be looking and do I need to haggle over the listed price. I also tried watch shops at Changi airport but found that their prices are higher than what is available in the city.

Any advice is highly appreciated.

Thanks

MegatopLover Nov 6, 2006 5:36 am

I've got a question or two regarding the same subject.

What is the sales tax or VAT in Singapore?

I'm thinking of buying a watch from an American firm's outpost in Singapore, and I'd like to know what kind of taxes I can expect to be built into the price or tacked on at the register.

Relatedly, does anyone know whether the Free Trade Agreement between the United States and Singapore gives returning American tourists a special (higher? total?) duty-free exemption for importation of goods purchased in Singapore?

supari Nov 6, 2006 8:21 am

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
I've got a question or two regarding the same subject.

What is the sales tax or VAT in Singapore?

I'm thinking of buying a watch from an American firm's outpost in Singapore, and I'd like to know what kind of taxes I can expect to be built into the price or tacked on at the register.

Relatedly, does anyone know whether the Free Trade Agreement between the United States and Singapore gives returning American tourists a special (higher? total?) duty-free exemption for importation of goods purchased in Singapore?

You are charged 5% GST at check out which you can claim back at the airport. Just ensure the shop provides you duty free receipt. you will need this receipt with customs stamp to get your tax $$ back.

dtsm Nov 6, 2006 9:46 am

Originally Posted by supari
Folks,

While in Singapore I am planning to buy couple of high end watches. So far I have been to Hour Glass next to Tangs and in Taka. Any advice where else I should be looking and do I need to haggle over the listed price. I also tried watch shops at Changi airport but found that their prices are higher than what is available in the city.

Any advice is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Cortina - two locations if I remember correctly: Lucky Plaza and Paragon. If you go to paragon, ask for Eric.

Yes, haggle like crazy, especially for high end watches. Find out what Hour Glass quoted then compare to Cortina. if you did your job correctly, the difference should only be a few dollars, then it's who you feel more comfortable with.

changi airport shops - fixed prices and usually at least 5% more than in town.

Sorry - no free ride when returning stateside, you're subject to same exemptions as any other countries.

supari Nov 6, 2006 6:43 pm

DTSM thanks for your response. I will try Cortina this weekend.

alanw Nov 6, 2006 8:51 pm

There are also lots of places around Bugis where some real bargains can be found. I bought a beautiful Tag Heuer Formula 1 for only $100!

MegatopLover Nov 7, 2006 5:27 am

Thanks everyone. I might look for the watch I want in HKG on the way to SIN. Getting the GST back (less a service fee?) is okay, but no tax is better still.