Reload this Page >

Raffles the Plaza vs. Oriental vs Swisshotel

Raffles the Plaza vs. Oriental vs Swisshotel

Old Sep 22, 06, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, IC Amb
Oriental vs Ritz Carlton vs Four Seasons

Hi all!

I am going to Singapore for 4 nights in November. Since I am on UA going to SIN, I will arrive into SIN pretty late the first night. Therefore, I think I am going to opt for something cheaper but acceptable. However, for the other 3 nights, here are my options:

1) Oriental $144/night (ocean view 157/night)
2) Ritz-Carlton $166/night
3) Four Seasons $168/night

From reading the posts on this board, it seems like RC and FS are better than Oriental. 20 bucks per nights seems to be not much of a price difference. Advice?

Last edited by UALboy; Sep 23, 06 at 1:40 am
Old Sep 23, 06, 3:28 pm

Programs: NWA PE, Delta Pt, United 1P
UALboy,

Where you seeing these rates for Singapore? When I go to the MO website, it's quite a bit more.. I'm going in October, and was thinking about staying in style.

is it better to book the luxury hotels in Singapore/KL via the aggregators or via the hotel website? If you book thru an aggregator, can you still get the points on your hotel rewards cards?
Old Sep 23, 06, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, IC Amb
Originally Posted by kxl19
UALboy,

Where you seeing these rates for Singapore? When I go to the MO website, it's quite a bit more.. I'm going in October, and was thinking about staying in style.

is it better to book the luxury hotels in Singapore/KL via the aggregators or via the hotel website? If you book thru an aggregator, can you still get the points on your hotel rewards cards?
Hey. I am going around late November. I don't know the answers for the rest of your questions (sorry!). I am very clueless about booking hotels in general. All the quotes that I got are from the hotel website itself or expedia.
Old Oct 2, 06, 5:46 pm

Programs: FD silver, PC plat. royal ambassador, SPG gold, HH gold, MR silver
Defentily the Oriental. Newly renovated and superb service. You might want to check the rates for the club floor. The lounge is excelent, good breakfast, free drinks etc etc.
Old Nov 11, 06, 1:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by UALboy
... I am going to Singapore for 4 nights in November. Since I am on UA going to SIN, I will arrive into SIN pretty late the first night...
And if you are flying UA you will be leaving early. Some SIN hotels, e.g. allow you to begin your stay day at any hour. So you can check in at 1 AM or so and check out 1AM or so 3 days later. Call the hotel and ask. I know the Raffles Plaza and Stamford have had such a policy that when they have less that a certain occupancy. There are a lot of aircrew that stay here and checking and out at odd hours and rooms become available at those times.

A sort of cheap alternative is the Changi Village for the first and possibly the last night. It is S$140-160++ per night. They provide free hourly shuttle to/from the airport.

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Nov 27, 06 at 4:25 pm
Old Nov 27, 06, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL, Alaska, SPG, Hyatt
Well... not here!

Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
And if you are flying UA you will be leaving early. Some SIN hotels, e.g. allow you to begin your stay day at any hour. So you can check in at 1 AM or so and check out 1AM or so 3 days later. Call the hotel and ask. I know the Raffles Stamford has that policy when they have less that a certain occupancy. A sort of cheap alternative is the Changi Village LM for the first and possibly the last night. It is S$140-160++ per night. They provide free hourly shuttle to/from the airport.
Neither the Grand Hyatt nor the Oriental allow this. Best rate at both places is about US $424 for 2 nights.

b

Search this Thread