FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-510/)
-   -   shopping in kuala lumpur/singapore (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore/568099-shopping-kuala-lumpur-singapore.html)

luxflyer Jun 11, 2006 3:14 pm

shopping in kuala lumpur/singapore

Can any US residents who have visited these places comment on shopping experiences. Are prices cheaper for apparel, shoes, or jewelry in either place compared to the US?

Thanks.

Notenut Jun 13, 2006 7:55 am

I just came back from our family vacation which included both places- spent more time in KL than Singapore. Although our main focus was in seeing the sights we did some casual shopping. So much of what you see in the shopping malls is high-class designer type merchandise which may be cheaper than in the US but still not cheap in my book. Also part of the problem is that there are just sooooo many places to shop that for a first timer it's overwhelming. My wife did find some good buys on shoes and purses some of which just happened to be on sale. As far as any electronic items, it is imperative that you know what model you are looking for and it's price back home, since hardly any item has a price tag and the quoted price depends in great part on how much the salesman thinks your net worth is.

edsh Jun 15, 2006 9:21 am

I have shopped for apparell and shoes in KL and found it less expensive than Singapore. I was more interested in sightseeing than shopping so I went to larger malls where I could choose from the largest selection of stores in the shortest amount of time.

The KLCC mall is huge and has a large selection of clothes and shoes. The key to saving money and time is to be open minded. Don't go with a detailed shopping list or you'll use time searching for items that may not be stocked in Malaysia. Also, don't expect much price differential from international designer brand names as they are priced relatively the same worldwide. Choose local brands that look good. I found good bargains by looking for items on sale, even in large department stores inside the mall. Chinatown has an outdoor market that is good for knockoff brand names but quality suffers. I can't comment on jewelery.

Here is a link to some shopping venues. There is a lot of information around the internet on bargains in KL.

http://www.outlooktraveller.com/asps...gid=360&page=1

KenJohn Jun 17, 2006 1:20 am

A word of caution about clothes sizes. Shops cater for the local population and may not carry very large sizes. At times, I found even the sizes at designer shops scaled down; e.g. I was buying shirts marked XL whereas I would normally seek out size M.

MilesAndMore Jun 17, 2006 6:29 pm

We found unbranded clothes cheaper in KLCC and MegaMall. Branded goods are uniform, electronics more expensive. The greatest value - food. Its cheap and good.

JohnWM Jun 25, 2006 2:22 pm

The Great Singapore UN-sale

I was recently in Singapore, during their annual Great Sale! What a laugh. I looked at housewares and men's clothing. Everything that I saw, even in local stores away from the malls, was way overpriced. Not one decent price around. Actually I told local Singaporeans to save their money and come to visit New York instead. During May and June, many stores here in New York have truly great sales on summer clothing, beach and bathing wear, etc. Singapore zeroes out for shopping, in my book. I just stick to souvenir items. Nothing else there presents good value. Of course, YMMV.

Flaflyer Jun 29, 2006 11:15 am

No Fakes, No Gum, Singapore is A Fine City La

Originally Posted by JohnWM
I was recently in Singapore, during their annual Great Sale! What a laugh. I looked at housewares and men's clothing. Everything that I saw, even in local stores away from the malls, was way overpriced. Not one decent price around. Actually I told local Singaporeans to save their money and come to visit New York instead. During May and June, many stores here in New York have truly great sales on summer clothing, beach and bathing wear, etc. Singapore zeroes out for shopping, in my book. I just stick to souvenir items. Nothing else there presents good value. Of course, YMMV.

The merchandise I have seen in SIN is the same brands at my local mall--and at exactly the same price in USD.

SIN wants people to come shop. No limits on money you bring, and the currency exchange window by baggage claim is open 24 hours with the best (no fee no commission a tiny split off the official rate) exchange rates of any money changer I have seen in the world. They want you to come spend the maximum.

I feel that SIN has the reputation for shopping for only one reason. I see many visitors in SIN who are from all the neighboring countries, who come to SIN becaue SIN has some of the strictist copyright/brand name protection in the world. The designer stuff sold there is not a bargain, at least pricewise compared to the US, but it is real. In all the surrounding countries it is probably 99.9% fakes. People with the money and the desire to buy brand names want to buy the real stuff, so they go to SIN.

You want a $50 Rolex? That's what BKK is for la. :D

dtsm Jun 29, 2006 11:46 am

Not the same price

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
The merchandise I have seen in SIN is the same brands at my local mall--and at exactly the same price in USD.

I feel that SIN has the reputation for shopping for only one reason. I see many visitors in SIN who are from all the neighboring countries, who come to SIN becaue SIN has some of the strictist copyright/brand name protection in the world. The designer stuff sold there is not a bargain, at least pricewise compared to the US, but it is real. In all the surrounding countries it is probably 99.9% fakes. People with the money and the desire to buy brand names want to buy the real stuff, so they go to SIN.

I respectfully disagree. Having lived in asia for many years, including singapore, given the exchange rates and other issues, more often than not prices are usually lower in the states.

The merchandise in Singapore is real and chances of knock-off are low.

But it is also not true that 99.9% in surrounding countries are fakes. If you go to legitimate branded boutique store, the merchandise is real. I'm not saying there aren't knock-offs to be had...but 99.9% is over generalization!

If you're into electronics, etc., cheaper and easier to shop on-line in the states. If for instance, you're into an expensive brand name watch, chances are it will be less in Asia but you need to compare prices. I bought several expensive watches for my brother and his family from reputable watch store on Orchard and saved several thousand dollars (even after paying US customs). At that time, it was just slightly less in HK but had already passed through HK.

As in any country, common sense prevails.

IMHO

tide Jun 30, 2006 2:03 am

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
In all the surrounding countries it is probably 99.9% fakes. People with the money and the desire to buy brand names want to buy the real stuff, so they go to SIN.

You want a $50 Rolex? That's what BKK is for la. :D

Designer goods sold in reputable stores in KL, BKK, and Jakarta (cities in the surrounding countries) are every bit as real as Singapore. People from there shop in Singapore because of price differentials (due to luxury taxes) and more selection (e.g. some brands are only available in Singapore). This price differential is closing fast, with KL prices and SIN prices roughly equal.

And la is spelled lah. In the Singaporean context, you could also do as well with lor :D

demetrius Jul 4, 2006 12:05 pm

rubbish

This is patently absurd. But since you're so comfortable with your opinion why don't you tell me where in NY the great sales are this summer? I will be there and will need to go shopping. I was there last summer and found nothing in the line of "truly great sales" - i was at macy's, bloomingdales, and century 21 amongst others. the chinatown is a big joke as well. In singapore at least the crossover brands w/ retail outlets in singapore such as nine west, forever 21, and CDs/ dvds (depending on the origin of the content) -> these items are cheaper in singapore just by virtue of the exchange rate for normal items. on sale, nine west is cheaper than even ONLINE US stores that carry nine west. BUT : the range for some US items is wider in the US.

*cringes at thought of stupid tourist going around telling strangers to "save their money and come to visit New York instead. *

Originally Posted by JohnWM

dtsm Jul 5, 2006 11:41 am

Shopping in greater Tri-state area

Originally Posted by demetrius
This is patently absurd. But since you're so comfortable with your opinion why don't you tell me where in NY the great sales are this summer? I will be there and will need to go shopping. I was there last summer and found nothing in the line of "truly great sales" - i was at macy's, bloomingdales, and century 21 amongst others. the chinatown is a big joke as well.

*cringes at thought of stupid tourist going around telling strangers to "save their money and come to visit New York instead. *

Welcome to FT.

Earlier poster not being absurb nor off the mark. Having lived in Asia for 15 plus years and being originally from the east coast, I can tell you that Asia is no longer a destination per se for getting better prices.

As I posted earlier, by and large, electronics much better buy stateside. If you're looking for the latest and newest models of say mobile phones, yes, USA is far behind. But relatively common items, including cameras, computers, etc., still less here.

For branded goods, it depends exactly what you're referring to. Many of the so called outlet stores here offer exceptional savings on apparel and leather goods, and when there is a sale here, like just before Christmas (when sales slow) or after New Year's, again great buys.

On the other hand, for say branded high end watches, Asia still a great place, if you know where to go for reputable, bonafide goods.

As in every country, YMMV.

MovieMan Jul 5, 2006 12:29 pm

Having lived in Singapore for five years, I'd say that for many designer/branded goods, prices in Singapore (even on sale) may be as expensive as elsewhere. However, if you're willing to look for non-major or local brands, you'll often find excellent quality and bargains. And if, for example, you are looking for custom-made quality clothing, there's no way anywhere in North America or Europe can beat the prices in places like Singapore, Bangkok or Hong Kong. But you do need to do a little research to know where to go.

mrakant Jul 9, 2006 7:44 pm

I can tell you prices in the US are cheaper most of the time for branded clothing for example purple lable. I could get a polo for about USD 45 in US but in Singapore it was at least USD 150 after discount. The selection is also very limited. HK is lot better.

Watches are cheaper if you can get a discount and with 5% back it becomes a very good deal.

Singapore has become very expensive even to eat....

Arun

jpatokal Jul 10, 2006 6:35 am

Originally Posted by mrakant
Singapore has become very expensive even to eat....

Not if you eat local food, and why eat anything else?

TechGeek Jul 10, 2006 6:44 am

In KL you can buy lots and lots of DVDs for a dea..... OH never mind they probably weren't legal I didn't buy any. ;)