Search

Great Singapore Shopping sale tips please

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2006, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Plat
Great Singapore Shopping sale tips please

Hi all
We are lucky to be in Singapore in early July, but only for a couple of days, so plan to hit the shops very efficiently.
We are looking at clothing - for 2 adult sons, creative mp3 etc, electronics and anything else you can think of!

Also, what is the GST rate in Singapore - 10% like in Australia?
Thanks to this forum we amended our Hotel from Swisshotel merchant court to the Novotel Clarke Quay at excellent rates, so thanks already!

Thankyou...
Old May 26, 2006, 6:00 am

Pushka, first of all, welcome to FT!

GST in Singapore is 5%, IIRC.

If you are shopping for electronics, the two best shopping centres to head for are Sim Lim Square and Funan Centre.

As for clothing, is there anything in particular you are shopping for like shirts, casuals, formal etc etc? For casual items, Giordano and Bossini are good, while for smart casual or smart clothing, G2000 and U2 are good for those. If you head to Orchard Road, there are PLENTY for you to shop. Start off at Tangs, and then move down Orchard Road.

I am assuming you are female (because of the "plan to hit the shops" comment), you might like URS and Inc (in Ngee Ann City), and Charles and Keith (Wisma Atria) for shoes and bags. These two are my favourite budget shoe shops .

Let us know what else you might be interested in, and we'll be able to give you more advice!
Old May 26, 2006, 6:20 am
jhm

Pushka, welcome to FT!

Just adding to a few points made by SQ319

Info about the procedure for claiming the GST refund is here:

http://www.visitsingapore.com/publis...ping_tips.html

e.g. you have to have your shop recipts (minumu S$100) validated by the retailer first.

If you are shopping for electronics, the two best shopping centres to head for are Sim Lim Square and Funan Centre.
I'm not a Singaporean but I understand that you have to be very careful when buying from Sim Lim Square (less so for Funan) to make sure you're not getting ripped off etc, e.g. other items substitued following the sale.

Definitely check prices locally before you go to Singapore. For example, a few years back (not sure about now), I found that computer equipment is Singapore was only slightly cheaper than the UK - not worthwhile when you take into account the difficulty of returning faulty goods etc.

You might also consider buying some food stuffs from Singapore, e.g. Malay curry powder, pineapple tarts, kueh lapis (a layer cake) etc.
Old May 26, 2006, 8:25 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Am in Singapore now (timed it so) to take advantage of opening weekend promotions. Not all shops are participating but many are. Among the higher end brands, Burberry and Hugo Boss were having large sales, with crowds to match, while Zegna and Shanghai Tang not participating.

One very good deal was that TUMI is offering 10% off everything in the store until Tuesday 30 May and considering Tumi rarely discounts NEW merchandise this can be a good deal for those who want/like Tumi.

I found there to be many credit/charge card related promos -- in Takashimaya at Ngee Ann and at Seiyu at Parco Bugis, certain departments were offering additional x% off if you used your Amex or local branded Visa or Mastercard.

Today hit Paragon, Ngee Ann, and Parco Bugis........ perhaps tomorrow will hit Suntec, Marina Square........... such a beatiful day!!
Old May 26, 2006, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Plat
Thankyou for all the information. My son is interested in the Polo Tshirts, and loves Giordano clothing. I saw that Creative had some GSS offers so would like to check those out.
Thankyou for the shopping hints too - we have been to Bali on several occasions but somehow thought Singaporeans would be a bit more honest - good to know that info then!
Handbags - I love handbags but cant afford (or perhaps my priorities are elsewhere!) the cost of designer bags but I could kill for a Chloe bag!
Luxury - I am green with envy!
Old May 26, 2006, 8:51 pm

Programs: SQ G, Hyatt D, Shangri-La G, Hilton G, Marriott G, IC PrCl G
Originally Posted by jhm
I understand that you have to be very careful when buying from Sim Lim Square (less so for Funan) to make sure you're not getting ripped off etc, e.g. other items substitued following the sale.
Sim Lim is a place for serious electronics / computing folk: if you know exactly what you're looking for down to the part number, there should be no problem getting an excellent deal. Funan on the other hand offers a slightly more mainstream approach where the non-power users have an easier time.

To add on to jhm's note: if you're going to be in the Orchard Road belt, you might be tempted to walk into Lucky Plaza. Caveat emptor applies significantly at this mall - double check the prices, warranty and receipts you get.

A list of authorized Creative resellers / stores is here

Have a good trip!

Last edited by LightSpeed; May 26, 2006 at 9:26 pm
Old May 26, 2006, 9:23 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Here is the website of the Great Singapore Sale 2006 with lots of info:

http://www.greatsingaporesale.com.sg/
Old May 31, 2006, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by SQ319
Pushka, first of all, welcome to FT!

As for clothing, is there anything in particular you are shopping for like shirts, casuals, formal etc etc? For casual items, Giordano and Bossini are good, while for smart casual or smart clothing, G2000 and U2 are good for those. If you head to Orchard Road, there are PLENTY for you to shop. Start off at Tangs, and then move down Orchard Road.

I am assuming you are female (because of the "plan to hit the shops" comment), you might like URS and Inc (in Ngee Ann City), and Charles and Keith (Wisma Atria) for shoes and bags. These two are my favourite budget shoe shops .

Let us know what else you might be interested in, and we'll be able to give you more advice!
Last summer I picked up some stuff at G2000 and it is pretty good stuff
-howie
Old Jun 9, 2006, 12:41 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by luxury
Am in Singapore now (timed it so) to take advantage of opening weekend promotions. Not all shops are participating but many are. Among the higher end brands, Burberry and Hugo Boss were having large sales, with crowds to match, while Zegna and Shanghai Tang not participating.

One very good deal was that TUMI is offering 10% off everything in the store until Tuesday 30 May and considering Tumi rarely discounts NEW merchandise this can be a good deal for those who want/like Tumi.

I found there to be many credit/charge card related promos -- in Takashimaya at Ngee Ann and at Seiyu at Parco Bugis, certain departments were offering additional x% off if you used your Amex or local branded Visa or Mastercard.

Today hit Paragon, Ngee Ann, and Parco Bugis........ perhaps tomorrow will hit Suntec, Marina Square........... such a beatiful day!!
So happens I was in Singapore for couple days during the GSS. As for Shanghai Tang, their selection outside of HKG is mediocre at best. Not surprisingly I've found the best prices and selection to be in HKG at their Pedder Street location in Central. I was going to buy a Shanghai Tang Jacket in Singapore, but the price in HKG was about $80 cheaper. Don't know if this year will be the same, but I was in HNL last year in July and they were having a seasonal sale on the summer/spring stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.