Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

From Tiger Airways to Malaysian Airlines at Changi

Old Feb 13, 06, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: hardly any

Early this coming June, I'll be arriving on Tiger Airways at Singapore-Changi, and must then transfer to Malaysian Airlines. Tiger does not interline baggage, so I know in advance that I must claim my baggage and then check-in with Malaysian Airlines.

Will 1hr 20min be adequate for this transfer?

Does anyone know if there will need to be a change of terminals by June coming?

Thanks much in advance.
Old Feb 13, 06, 9:30 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, DL Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by JohnWM
Early this coming June, I'll be arriving on Tiger Airways at Singapore-Changi, and must then transfer to Malaysian Airlines. Tiger does not interline baggage, so I know in advance that I must claim my baggage and then check-in with Malaysian Airlines.

Thanks much in advance.
I think the new Budget Terminal starts operation by end-March, so it's likely you will have to change terminals when you arrive.

While it's a bit early to say how much time the transfer will take, there will be free shuttle buses running between the budget terminal and the other terminals. Given Changi's hyper efficiency, I think 1hr20 should be enough time.
Old Feb 13, 06, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by JohnWM

Thanks much in advance.
New Budget terminal comes online end-Mar so you will need to changes terminals. There will be a shuttle service but timing is not fixed yet. I'm not so sure that 1hr 20min will be enough. Do note that Tiger will NOT be responsible if you miss your connecting flight.
Old Feb 13, 06, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, both!

Thank you both for sharing your knowledge with me. I appreciate your observations.
Old Feb 15, 06, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by 9V-JKL
New Budget terminal comes online end-Mar so you will need to changes terminals. There will be a shuttle service but timing is not fixed yet. I'm not so sure that 1hr 20min will be enough. Do note that Tiger will NOT be responsible if you miss your connecting flight.
The buses should run every 15 minutes, although in a pinch you can always take a taxi, who will hate you after queueing for three hours and then getting the shortest trip of his career.

Since Tiger requires you check in 40 minutes before departure, that leaves you 40 minutes to go through immigration and get your bags (~15 min), wait for the bus (0-15 min) and take the bus (5-10 min). Doable, but there's not much of a safety buffer there if your flight is delayed etc...
Old Feb 15, 06, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again.

Thanks also, JPATOKAL. It sounds like it will be a great rush to make the connection safely within 1hr 20min. And still it might not be enough time.

Perhaps I just won't buy the SIN-KUL ticket in advance. I could simply go to the ticket counter whenever I finally get through transferring, and purchase a shuttle ticket then and there.

Thanks for sharing a realistic timeline with me.
Old Feb 15, 06, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Please note that if you have a confirmed reservation and you no-show , even for valid reasons, ie delayed flight, you must pay a penalty of something like $50.

The same penalty applies if you make changes to a confirmed reservation within 24 hours of travel.

For SIN-KUL flights, you cannot purchase shuttle tickets. You can only purchase a full fare ticket..
Old Feb 20, 06, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
For SIN-KUL flights, you cannot purchase shuttle tickets. You can only purchase a full fare ticket..
Yes you can, something like 20% of each SQ/MH flight is reserved for shuttle passengers, and the cost is marginally cheaper too. But obviously reservations aren't possible, and in peak periods (eg. Fri evening/Mon morning) you may be in for a wait.

Search this Thread