Singapore plans to expand budget airlines terminal

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2006, 7:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Singapore plans to expand budget airlines terminal

http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story...5&sec=business

SINGAPORE: Singapore, which operates Asia's sixth-busiest airport, may double the capacity of its S$45mil terminal for budget airlines, Asia's first, betting more people will travel by air on discounted fares.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 7:50 am

PR fluff, methinks, and mostly done to counter KLIA's budget terminal which will have a planned capacity of 10 million pax. It remains to be seen how well either one takes off, given that the only carrier committing to Changi's budget terminal is Tiger and the only one committing to KUL's version is Air Asia...
Old Jan 10, 2006, 8:07 am

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Pictures of the outside and inside of the budget terminal are here (registration required)
Old Jan 11, 2006, 7:59 am

Singapore's first budget terminal has been named - what else? - the Budget Terminal

Transport Minister Yeo Cheow Tong presented the winner of the "Low Cost Terminal Naming Competition" - 15-year-old Jonathan Sng of St Andrew's Secondary School - with a Starhub-sponsored cash prize of $2,000 and a 3G mobile phone, during a site inspection of the completed airport yesterday.

While 44 of the 12,000 or so entries had suggested "Budget Terminal", it was Jonathan's justification for the name - "short, easy to remember, and representative of what the terminal is" - that clinched him the award, said the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS).

Other suggestions submitted during the three-month contest period included "Funport", "Seabreeze Terminal", "Oasis Terminal" and "Orchid Air Terminal".

Naming the no-frills airport was a no-brainer for Jonathan, who told Today he thought of it over a few minutes in recess.
-----
And you think that when u run a competition for the new name of the budget terminal, you would come up with a more original name than that.

Last edited by SQ319; Jan 11, 2006 at 8:04 am
Old Jan 12, 2006, 6:42 am

And you think that when u run a competition for the new name of the budget terminal, you would come up with a more original name than that.
You're forgetting that this is the same government that paid a branding agency S$400,000 in taxpayer money to find a new name for Marina Bay. The new name chosen was -- drums, please -- "Marina Bay".

And "Budget Terminal" may be a little dull, but I'll take it over "Funport"..
Old Jan 12, 2006, 9:05 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Let's remember that, through Temasek, the Singapore Government has a big stake in the profitability of Singapore Airlines. Protecting SQ's brand, high standards, and profits has always been a concern. When it was first planned, one minister described the anticipated amenities of the Budget Terminal as on par with a nice bus station. LCC pax really were not wanted in T2 or the upcoming T3, it seemed. "Budget Terminal" is a fairly ignominious name-- it sounds cheap. That, I think, is the point.

Last edited by MegatopLover; Jan 12, 2006 at 9:10 am
Old Jan 17, 2006, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt Gold, SPG lifetime
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Let's remember that, through Temasek, the Singapore Government has a big stake in the profitability of Singapore Airlines. Protecting SQ's brand, high standards, and profits has always been a concern. When it was first planned, one minister described the anticipated amenities of the Budget Terminal as on par with a nice bus station. LCC pax really were not wanted in T2 or the upcoming T3, it seemed. "Budget Terminal" is a fairly ignominious name-- it sounds cheap. That, I think, is the point.
Despite the profitability of SQ, if the government had to chose between SQ & Changi, they will tilt towards the latter as Changi contirbutes a lot more to the local economy with direct and indirect employment.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 4:37 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by jpatokal
You're forgetting that this is the same government that paid a branding agency S$400,000 in taxpayer money to find a new name for Marina Bay. The new name chosen was -- drums, please -- "Marina Bay".
I read about the 2 competitons in the Straits Times last weekend, and was amused I must say, espcially the Marina Bay one.

I see all the road signs and everything are up and ready for the Budget Terminal.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 3:58 am

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
drove past it last week. It looks like a yellow aircraft hangar! oh wait, that's what it is!
Old Mar 16, 2006, 7:38 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
A Crowne Plaza hotel to be built at Terminal 3 ^ ^ ^

"The airport hotel will be located at a site of approximately 7,700 square metres next to the upcoming Terminal 3, and will be physically linked to it.

Hotel guests will also be able to reach Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 via an elevated People Mover System that will link all the three passenger terminals."

quotes from a thread in the ICH hotel forum.

--
Old Mar 20, 2006, 1:16 pm

If anyone is interested, here's a pictorial preview of the Budget Terminal... Very, erm, budget, I must say.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=183943
Old Mar 20, 2006, 10:32 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, DL Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by SQ319
If anyone is interested, here's a pictorial preview of the Budget Terminal... Very, erm, budget, I must say.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=183943
Thanks for the link, SQ319. Agree with your assessment.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More photos here: (or maybe the same?)

http://www.skyscrapercity.com//showthread.php?t=304335
Old Mar 26, 2006, 6:59 pm

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
Just as well it was raining on the first day of operations. Arriving passengers from Krabi had to make the 20m dash to the arrivals center from the plane across the tarmac.

No cover/brollies provided.

Welcome to budget Singapore!

http://www.todayonline.com/articles/109199.asp
Old May 1, 2006, 4:22 pm
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
The Budget Terminal web site

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.