Wiki Posts
Search

Buying A Laptop During 3 Hour Layover in SIN

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2005, 11:27 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Buying A Laptop During 3 Hour Layover in SIN

I am off to Sydney on BA in December, and would like to buy a smallish laptop on my way there.

Can anyone tell me if there are good electronics stores in the terminal I am transiting through, and if there are any websites telling me which stores I should buy at?

I am particularly keen on any personal recommendations of good stores, and impressions as to whether prices are very cheap, or if I am better buying it either back in the UK or in the USA?

Any tips/hints gratefully appreciated.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA MM
Buy via internet & have it shipped. It'll be cheaper & easier, with better choices. You just can't "feel" them. For the latest/best, buy in Tokyo-Akihabara.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 7:08 pm

Careful...

Be careful buying electronics in Singapore, the voltage is different from the US. If you don't use a converter the circuit boards might get fried.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 12:40 am

Programs: # Neodymium #
Originally Posted by PCheng
Be careful buying electronics in Singapore, the voltage is different from the US. If you don't use a converter the circuit boards might get fried.
..but it's the same voltage as the UK!

I'm not long back from Singapore, and looking at laptops and other computery bits and bobs was high on my agenda!

First of all, the prices for complete laptops and other end products are no cheaper than internet prices here in the UK. And this is at Sim Lim Square, and other renound places in the city.
Secondly, the airport prices were actually higher.. I had a nice wander around Changi airport, which is lovely, but in the shops I looked in, almost everything I saw, including electronics, I had seen cheaper in the city in the previous days..
However, there are some good deals on components and peripherals in the city.. hard disks, blanks DVDs, chips, graphics cards, etc etc.

Conclusion, in a 3 hr stop in Sing, no, I wouldn't advise looking for a laptop!
Old Nov 22, 2005, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by PCheng
Practically every modern laptop comes equipped with a 100-240V adapter, so this is not really an issue for the OP.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 5:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by McCoy
Secondly, the airport prices were actually higher.. I had a nice wander around Changi airport, which is lovely, but in the shops I looked in, almost everything I saw, including electronics, I had seen cheaper in the city in the previous days..
However, there are some good deals on components and peripherals in the city.. hard disks, blanks DVDs, chips, graphics cards, etc etc.

Conclusion, in a 3 hr stop in Sing, no, I wouldn't advise looking for a laptop!
Thanks for the assistance everyone. I thought it might be a captive market - though not so much bothered by the voltage issue, I was concerned that after exchange costs and the fact there might be limited choice I might be better off elsewhere.

A trip to the Tottenham Court Road beckons.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.