Wiki Posts
Search

100 SGD - where to stay?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2005, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
100 SGD - where to stay?

I'm going to be in Singapore for a few days and I'm looking for a place to stay. But as I'm going to be alone, I dont want to spend the money for five-star resorts, and would rather travel budget.

Anyone have any suggestions for where are the best hotels at ~100SGD/night?

Facilities and location are the mucho important.

Thanks for the tips!
Old Jul 26, 2005, 11:40 pm
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
http://www.hotel81.com.sg/ Palace is one I like, though it's been a while since I've passed through S'pore.

Cautions:
--this is out in always lively, 24x7 Geylang.
--Some of the liveliness is lit by red lights.
--I've found the Palace secure and pretty quiet if you get a room away from the lift.

Just for calibration, I've had about a zillion stays at the Conrad and the Orchard Road places, too. The Orchard Road YMCA is decent, as well. I'd avoid the New 7th Storey, though the Bugis area is decent.

Try www.asiatravel.com, also.
Rich
Old Jul 26, 2005, 11:55 pm

also try www.wotif.com

or : www.ratestogo.com

you will see many hotels at all prices, some also within your price range!
Old Jul 27, 2005, 5:10 am

Was looking through the hotels listed on www.ratestogo.com and www.wotif.com, and what's good for you depends on which location you are looking for and what facilities you require, but overall these doesn't seem too bad:

(1) Robertson Quay, Furama City Centre and River View: If you enjoy clubbing or night life, these three hotels are in good locations for the clubbing strip along Mohd Sultan Road, Clarke Quay and Zouk. Furama is right next for the Clarke Quay and Chinatown train stations for easy access.

(2) If you are willing to pay a bit more, try the Royal Plaza on Scotts, which is along Orchard Road and offers a complimentary mini bar. Meritus Negara is also recommended as it is run by the people who also run the Meritus Mandarin, the grand dame along Orchard Road. The Negara would also be quieter as it is not along the main streets, but on one of the side roads.

Finally, once you made your decision, I would actually recommend calling the hotel reservations directly or check out the websites. 3rd party websites don't always give the best deals. Doesn't harm to call to get a better deal.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
SIN City

A friend has stayed at the Robertson Quay and recommends it. Up the river in the river district.

Last trip I considered the Hotel Asia, a long block off Orchard Road but walkable. My local contacts told me it was an OK place to consider.

For top location, affordable, next to a subway stop, all my trusted guidebooks recommend the Albert Court Hotel near downtown. Three stars for $58 USD on Expedia looks quite a deal. The one time I considered booking it, it was full while there was still availability nearby, and I figure the best deals fill up first.

Do note that prices in SIN have a + and ++ and +++ etc. after the price. That stands for the This Tax and That Tax that get added. Adds an easy 20% to your bill.

Enjoy visiting a safe clean city. Just remember, no chewing gum and no jaywalking.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 7:53 am

Programs: UA Premiere Platinum
www.priceline.sg Worked wonders for us in Bangkok, Hong Kong, and Kuala Lumpur. Hopefully it'll do the same in Singapore.

W
Old Jul 27, 2005, 1:49 pm

Programs: Star going on Oneworld
Talking

S$110 gets you HOTEL 1929 http://www.hotel1929.com/
or $90 across the road at THE ROYAL PEACOCK HOTEL http://www.hotelclub.net/hotel.reser..._Singapore.htm

And of course , the best deal goes to The NEW 7th STOREY HOTEL - http://www.nsshotel.com/index.php3

Yes, there are many HOTEL 81's as well scattered all over the island... and they're a great deal. Please do not think of them as 'by-the-hour' hotels.. though some do make use of them for that purpose.

You may also try this site: http://www.hotelclub.net/hotel.reser.../Singapore.htm

And as a Singaporean .. may I suggest the following for you, not in order of preference but rather, in order that is listed on the list above:

1. Garden
2. Copthorne Orchid Inn
3.The Inn at Temple Street
4. Robertson Quay Hotel
5. Berjaya Duxton Hotel (4 star)
6. The Gallery (4 star)

Hope this helps!
Old Jul 27, 2005, 1:52 pm

Programs: Star going on Oneworld
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
Enjoy visiting a safe clean city. Just remember, no chewing gum and no jaywalking.

To chew gum is ok. To bring a few packets of gum in is fine. You just can't sell them openly!

Jay walking is fine too - as long as it's more than 50m from the nearest pedestrian crossing.. ie traffic lights, under/over pass. You can see the signs. You can also see people (me included) making the dash at 51m from the nearest street crossing on Orchard Road!
Old Jul 28, 2005, 12:05 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by WildRice
To chew gum is ok. To bring a few packets of gum in is fine. You just can't sell them openly!

Jay walking is fine too - as long as it's more than 50m from the nearest pedestrian crossing.. ie traffic lights, under/over pass. You can see the signs. You can also see people (me included) making the dash at 51m from the nearest street crossing on Orchard Road!
Singaporeans are becoming more and more ... lets say "progressive" I've been in the CBD and Orchard Rd area many times over the last couple of days and even red lights at pedestrian crossings don't mean that one actually has to stop. Often I find myself being one of the few people who wait (together with the elderlies that can't jog accross the street quickly) for the green light while the locals check for traffic (and police) and make a dash for the other side. What's up with that lah? Gum is fine too just don't spit it out on the street or dump it somewhere other than a garbage bin.

Cheers ...
Old Jul 28, 2005, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Residents are not always the best judge of their city's hotels. Their visits might be short, and focused on more pressing matters

SIN's <boutique> hotels (The Inn on Temple Street, Duxford etc ) can be great, but renovations have left them with some tiny, odd-shaped rooms - sometimes without windows. If you are going for the lead-in price in all probability you'll get one of these. They may have a host of other inconveniences, like noise. Weird designer fads like chairs can divert cash investments from essentials. If it's only one night, you might not care.

But there are cheaper options, where you can buy the best rooms for the price you'd be charged for the basic offer at 1929 etc. Try New Seventh Story, well positioned behind the Intercontinental and next to the Bugis metro (direct link to the airport).

The 81 chain can be great, as can the Fragrance group. But they really do have short-term guests - especially the ones in red-light Geylang. It's never worried me

Albert Court gets my vote for one of the best "full-service-but good-rates" 3/4-star hotels.

Last edited by IAN-UK; Jul 28, 2005 at 2:57 am
Old Jul 28, 2005, 4:53 pm
Scandalous

Last edited by Scandalous; Nov 15, 2005 at 9:24 pm Reason: Deleted by user due to uneasiness with flyertalk censorship policies.

Old Jul 28, 2005, 7:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt GP,HHonors,Priority Club,NW Worldperks,SQ,CX
Originally Posted by Scandalous
They tactfully call the hourly rate an.........err......um....."transit room". I've stayed at a few Hotel 81 in Geyling and find them suitable for the price. Not a bad deal for the budget traveler. Small basic rooms but clean and quiet. The same can't be said for the neighborhood. After my first stay there it completely shattered any ideas I had about Singapore being overly strict with silly little regulations. It's actually a "quite festive" place.
LOL...transit room - didn't realised you can call it by any other name. I saw a Hotel 81 in Chinatown, now that at least is a decent location.

Frens in spore actually told me that Hotel 81 bookings are all taken centrally in a reservation centre and a confirmation will be faxed over automatically. Now that's efficiency, spore-style, even for transit rooms!
Old Jul 29, 2005, 2:15 am

One more option is Hangout @ Mt. Emily, a recently renovated upscale backpacker place. "No frills, just fun" is their motto and that's what you get for S$70-80/night if you book online. Location is a bit of downside though: it's a 10-min hike uphill from the Little India MRT (or Dhoby Ghaut).
Old Aug 6, 2005, 5:30 pm

Programs: SQSolitaire,Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum, CO Platinum,
Strand Hotel

Please also try out Strand and Madras hotel in Little India. Cheap and clean
Old Aug 6, 2005, 5:33 pm

Programs: SQSolitaire,Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum, CO Platinum,
I forgot the name of another small hotel in Club street it was about 88 dollars per night. I have seen the rooms it is nice and clean.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.