FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-510/)
-   -   Best Nasi Lemak? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore/310913-best-nasi-lemak.html)

Biggy Apr 5, 2004 4:18 am

Best Nasi Lemak?

Hye to Singaporeans or Singapore Frequent Travellers,

I am going to Singapore next month for 5 days and I would like to know where you can find the best Nasi Lemak in Singapore.

I know where to find nice nasi lemak in Kuala Lumpur but afraid that I won't be going there this trip.

Cheers in advance.

jpatokal Apr 5, 2004 11:40 pm

This question would trigger a religious war between any group of Singaporeans, but if you say "nasi lemak" the expected answer is "Changi Village" -- not the airport, mind you, but a seaside 'village' closer to the infamous Changi Prison. Right in the middle is a hawker center with a very famous nasi lemak stall... and while you're at it, try rather un-Singaporean but still classic a chili dog and beer at Charlie's.

There are plenty of other, more conviniently located nasi lemak joints though, so ask the locals for their favorites.

Biggy Apr 6, 2004 4:02 am

Cheers for the suggestion. I am a big fan of 'Nasi Lemak' and I crave for it whenever I'm out of KL & Singapore. Most of the time, I just eat any 'Nasi Lemak' that I can find around the town center, which is not really good. So I thought that the locals would know better. Thank you, and I will definitely try it out.

By the way, what do you mean when you mentioned that this question will start a religious war?

Savage25 Apr 6, 2004 5:02 am

The nasi lemak stall at Changi Village is the only answer ^

Its opposite the Le Meridien Changi (which is closed for renovations I think) and its also the departure point for the boats to Pulau Ubin, if you need to ask a local how to get there. Last stop for bus number 2 going east.

There are actually a few nasi lemak stalls but the one you are looking for is at the corner (International Nasi Lemak is the name IIRC)....just look for the long line of people queueing up.

jpatokal Apr 6, 2004 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Biggy
By the way, what do you mean when you mentioned that this question will start a religious war?

Don't take my remark too literally :D But Singaporeans are fanatical about their food, each person has their own preferences, and when you have a dish like nasi lemak which has thousands of vendors all over the island, you're bound stir up a discussion. If worst comes to worst you'll be taken on a tour to every single famous one until it can be conclusively established which one is best!

inkoherent Apr 6, 2004 8:14 pm

Never tried the Nasi Lemak at Changi Village (especially since I often stay in the West) but I believe there is/was a rather well-known one in Pasir Panjang, close to the National University of Singapore, that someone once raved to me about. It's right by a prata place (I think they sell some sort of newfangled prata with fillings or something.) Not sure if this is still factually correct.

I was almost afraid to put up a dissenting opinion :D

I think we should start more threads on this board about food :)

Savage25 Apr 7, 2004 12:17 am

I think I know the prata place you're talking about....there's a place that sells amazing cheese pratas (and other fillings, but you gotta try the cheesy one) outside of NUS. Its next to the 7-11 at the corner of Kent Ridge Road and Pasir Panjang Road.

jpatokal Apr 7, 2004 12:39 am

Originally Posted by Savage25
I think I know the prata place you're talking about....there's a place that sells amazing cheese pratas (and other fillings, but you gotta try the cheesy one) outside of NUS. Its next to the 7-11 at the corner of Kent Ridge Road and Pasir Panjang Road.

And I'm sure you'll be amazed to hear this place is called... drumroll... The Cheese Prata Shop. Open 24 hours too! My trusty Makansutra doesn't list any outstanding nasi lemak places in the vicinity though, any more clues?

transpac Apr 8, 2004 10:22 am

According to www.makansutra.com

NASI LEMAK
Yusof's Corner (*)
Adam Road Food Centre (under renovation till May)
Stall 1
Opening Hours: 7am - 4pm
"The rice has an authentic coconut flavour and due to the high turnover, the chicken wings are always freshly fried. "

NASI LEMAK
Banana Leaf Nasi Lemak

221B Boon Lay Place #01-37
Opening Hours: 12pm-10pm
Closed On: Mon
Fragrant rice with enough coconut taste. Tender chicken and lamb curry. The potatoes in the curry are simmered till nice and soft with a rich curry taste.

jpatokal Apr 9, 2004 7:31 am

Changi Village Nasi Lemak

Ended up at Changi Village's famed International Nasi Lemak place for a quality check today, and yes, it is good. The portion is completely orthodox -- coconut rice, fried egg, ikan bilis (no peanuts tho!), excellent chili, two slices of a cucumber and an extra of your choice -- and not terribly generous in size, but due to the neverending queue everything is tasty and hot off the grill. I recommend the chicken wing for the extra. Total cost: S$2.50.

On the other hand, I live right next to the Boon Lay Place nasi lemak joint and find it distinctly underwhelming. YMMV.

rain Jan 29, 2005 3:52 pm

Actually, the best Nasi Lemak is at Serangoon Road!

I'm not kidding, here's what future travellars should do. Hail a cab. Tell the cab driver you want to go to the Upper Serangoon Road Nasi Lemak Store. They'll know which store you mean. Its not cheap, compared to other similar stores, and the owners are unfriendly. Cost about 6-7SGD for a deluxe plate with chicken wings and all the works.

In fact, cab drivers normally know all the best hunts.

This place is worth it. I miss it so much! :p

Rain

FlyHummingbird Jan 29, 2005 8:22 pm

"I know where to find nice nasi lemak in Kuala Lumpur but afraid that I won't be going there this trip."

Care to share the location in KL? I'll be going there next month. Thanks.

Sweet Willie Jan 30, 2005 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Biggy
I know where to find nice nasi lemak in Kuala Lumpur but afraid that I won't be going there this trip.

I second FlyHummingbird's request, care to share?

glam Feb 2, 2005 3:28 pm

I love the Nasi Lemak at Changi V, I live near there myself but currently studying overseas and already missing it. The owners are a little arrogant and during the bird flu crisis, the served Nasi Lemak without the egg and still charged S$2.50 but I still feel that their Nasi Lemak is the best in Singapore. While you're there, just walk to the block behind the Nasi Lemak stall and try the BBQ Stingray(not sure what the name of the stall is), wonderful stuff. ^

glam Feb 2, 2005 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Savage25
The nasi lemak stall at Changi Village is the only answer ^

Its opposite the Le Meridien Changi (which is closed for renovations I think) and its also the departure point for the boats to Pulau Ubin, if you need to ask a local how to get there. Last stop for bus number 2 going east.

There are actually a few nasi lemak stalls but the one you are looking for is at the corner (International Nasi Lemak is the name IIRC)....just look for the long line of people queueing up.

The hotel has re-opened and it's now called Le Meridien Changi Village. I use to work there while it was still the Le Meridien Changi and I don't really like the new name, "changi village" has the word sleazy attached to it if you know what I mean.