Search

Wi-Fi 802.11b SIN

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2002, 6:36 pm
rjh
Original Poster

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Wi-Fi 802.11b

Just to note that my WinXP system sniffed at least one of the Changi access point's SSID as ikan3.

(I've never been successful in connecting using Cisco 340, Cisco 350, or an IBM Thinkpad's imbedded Wi-Fi, which works everywhere else, including the S'pore Conrad.)

I've been having an off-again, on-again e-mail exchange about Wi-Fi with the Changi Airport Systems unit, but they obviously think I'm technology-impaired, so it's going slowly.
Rich
Old Jul 6, 2002, 4:44 pm
In Memoriam

Location: Grand Rapids, MI USA UA 1K, AA EXP 1MM, SQ PPS, BA GOLD, Hyatt D, Hertz Plat and AMEX Cent
try the ssid "any"

I have used at Changi with several wifi cards
Old Jul 7, 2002, 9:52 am
rjh
Original Poster

I've tried the "accept any sniffable" SSID approach without success.

What operating system were you using? What cards? Thanks.
Rich
Old Sep 13, 2002, 3:38 pm

They changed their ISP recently, so now you log in with SSID "any" and then start your browser. With the form coming up you go to one of the guys at the counter and he will insert his password. From now on you can stay online until your connecting flight forces you to leave... :-)
Old Sep 13, 2002, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On both 7 & 10 Sep I 'sniffed' two WLAN's at Changi. One, I think, was StarHubs' and I connected to their log-on screen. The other was "Changi" or something like that? I couldn't get access. I just plugged my ethernet cable in and took off. When i left I asked the desk attendent about my problem and he mentioned that the free wireless LAN access was "going away in a few days", whatever that means?
Old Sep 14, 2002, 10:31 pm
rjh
Original Poster

On 9 Sep 02 I sniffed our pal ikan3 as well as at least 3 StarHub access points. No luck with ikan3.

When I tried to complete a connection to one of the StarHub access points, I was asked for userid/password. I didn't have one and using "guest" and a couple of other possibilities didn't get me anywhere so I bagged it.

I later found that, somewhere along the way, I got an email from [email protected]. An excerpt follows:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">You have been experiencing the power of ANTLabs' Tru'Connect? Technology. With Tru'Connect, you do not have to worry about your network configurations, browser configurations and SMTP configurations anymore. With Tru'Connect, plug and play networking has become a reality.

Authentication
You need to logon for Internet access.
Click here for our secure web login.
</font>
Rich
Old Oct 27, 2002, 4:19 am

I was at Gate 42 on the morning of Oct. 27, waiting for a NW flight to NRT. My PC detected StarHub. ID: guest and Password: Starhub I got free access. The web site said it's a trial offer and free access available until Dec. 15 (if I remember correctly).

I also got this StarHub about a month ago near the Internet PC corner in T1 but at that time, I think I was asked to join a pay service and I didn't join.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.