Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discriminatory pricing for tourists in Singapore

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2023, 6:41 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by blackcarrotcake
But you do get some form of tourist discounts or vouchers when you are doing your shopping in the malls along the Orchard Road stretch, which locals ain't entitled to no?
Including refund of GST on purchases made for goods taken out of the country...
lsquare likes this.
Old May 3, 2023, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Including refund of GST on purchases made for goods taken out of the country...
What qualifies?
Old May 3, 2023, 9:50 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by lsquare
What qualifies?
see here:
https://www.visitsingapore.com/trave...st-tax-refund/
lsquare likes this.
Old May 12, 2023, 2:41 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
If you're looking to criticize a country (either government, public services, or the people) for preying on tourists in a scammy way, Singapore is far from where I'd begin...
Eagle2000 likes this.
Old May 12, 2023, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm surprised that PRs have to pay more than citizens. Why?
There was a time when PRs and citizens paid the same rates for healthcare. Can't really remember exactly when it all changed - probably some time within the last 15+ years?
Old May 16, 2023, 9:54 am

Programs: All over the place now.
Originally Posted by Braniff
Many attractions in Singapore have two categories of pricing - one for local residents and one for foreigners. It appears to be government policy. This has left a very negative impression on me and I actually refused to visit some attractions applying this policy. Wonder if others share my view here…
When I was in Russia, the prices were for Russians, Foreigners, and Americans in order of cheapest to most expensive.
Old May 16, 2023, 10:10 am

Many states/cities in the US have similar pricing. Here in Maine, Baxter State Park is "forever free to the people of Maine, " but anyone else pays a fee. Similarly, Florida residents pay less for Disney. Sure, it's "discrimination," but that's not always a bad thing. It helps the "locals," wherever they may be.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 16, 2023, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Patricia Jane Moores Cliff
Many states/cities in the US have similar pricing. Here in Maine, Baxter State Park is "forever free to the people of Maine, " but anyone else pays a fee. Similarly, Florida residents pay less for Disney. Sure, it's "discrimination," but that's not always a bad thing. It helps the "locals," wherever they may be.
Yup. Here in Nevada the state parks have a resident price that's lower than non-resident.

The national parks also have it in a sense--if you're visiting more than a few parks in a year an annual pass is well worth it. If you're a citizen or permanent resident, a tourist can't buy one.
Old May 16, 2023, 10:21 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
When I was in India, there were prices for Indian nationals and prices for everyone else. I was annoyed at the time, but came to realise that it was tourists who used those facilities more than local visitors. It was only natural to charge non-locals more to maintain and improve the attractions because their visits were one-offs.
Old May 16, 2023, 10:26 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
National parks in Chile (CONAF), double price for foreign residents who on the other hand do not pay VAT on hotel rooms paid in USD - a big saving.
Old May 16, 2023, 10:33 am

Programs: Delta, United, American, Norwegian, Southwest, Frontier, Bonvoy
Presumably, locals help support these attractions with their taxes. Seems very reasonable to me that they would get a discount.
trooper and LETTERBOY like this.
Old May 16, 2023, 11:12 am

Programs: LT AAdvantage Gold
Kama'aina discounts are common in Hawaii. It means "child of the land". Most of those people are working two or three jobs to survive, so I don't begrudge them.
Old May 16, 2023, 11:35 am

Programs: UA, KLM
Originally Posted by Braniff
Many attractions in Singapore have two categories of pricing - one for local residents and one for foreigners. It appears to be government policy. This has left a very negative impression on me and I actually refused to visit some attractions applying this policy. Wonder if others share my view here…
used to travel to China several times a year and there it was that locals had one price people from overseas who spoke Chinese or lived there got slightly different better price and tourists or visitors in general higher prices.But in China, local people just did not earn what we visitors earn.
Also Running conferences. We always had a lower price for those coming from less d e developed countries because they just couldn’t afford. They were subsidised by the regular price of conference people. You see this at lots of conferences worldwide. Just the same too as breaks for student prices or senior prices. If a venue or activity is something you would pay that much for in your own hometown, and your own cost of living, then it seems to me to be equitable that those same type of activities, but in a country where people are so much less well off, that those residents would get a break equal to their own cost of living.
Old May 16, 2023, 11:44 am

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by stef315
When I was in Russia, the prices were for Russians, Foreigners, and Americans in order of cheapest to most expensive.
Don't think we'll have to worry about that one for a while.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 16, 2023, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by FindingFoodFluency
Lots of countries have this style of pricing, either officially (at museums or other attractions), or unofficially (taxis, places you need to bargain).
​​​​​​
Yes, but it's almost exclusively "third world countries" where the residents are too poor to pay the admission price (e.g. India, Cambodia, and such). Singaporean residents are not that poor that they can't afford to pay the normal/standard price.

This practice certainly leaves an impression of Singapore as a distinctly third world country in a visitor's eyes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.