Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A few transit and cash basic questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2023, 7:41 pm

Programs: MM / UA 1K
Originally Posted by oishi
From what I heard the card machines at the MRT stations only accept local cards and not foreign cards for payment and this was my experience the last time I was there in November. But please correct me if I'm wrong.
I've used my US issued Citi Prestige and Chase Sapphire Reserve with MRT successfully in the past.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 8:15 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
From what I heard the card machines at the MRT stations only accept local cards and not foreign cards for payment and this was my experience the last time I was there in November. But please correct me if I'm wrong.
Requirement of local cards applies only to top up of transit cards (Nets FlashPay and EZlink) via GTM machines at train stations.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Acid
The final charges will post in a week or 10 days. It's cheaper to use MC as fees are netted everyday vs. Visa which I believe you pay for every transaction
Took the better part of a week from the last use for a single charge to show (with a transaction date of the first use). I don't know if I'll get another charge because it seems pretty low considering all the rides I took.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 7:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Took the better part of a week from the last use for a single charge to show (with a transaction date of the first use). I don't know if I'll get another charge because it seems pretty low considering all the rides I took.

I think Visa nets daily and hence has a daily charge of 50c, mastercard nets every 5 days or $15 and has one charge. MRT is quite cheap in SG
Old Mar 8, 2023, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Acid
I think Visa nets daily and hence has a daily charge of 50c, mastercard nets every 5 days or $15 and has one charge. MRT is quite cheap in SG
60c is charged daily, when using a foreign card.

Will foreign issued contactless bankcards be accepted for use in public transport in Singapore? Are there extra charges to use foreign bank cards?

Foreign-issued Mastercard or Visa contactless bank cards are accepted for payments on our public transport network. Cardholders may contact their card issuers for more information should their contactless bank card be rejected in transit.

An administrative fee of $0.60 will be applicable per day of use for fare payment.
Old May 1, 2023, 6:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by mongobot
I've used my US issued Citi Prestige and Chase Sapphire Reserve with MRT successfully in the past.
I remember being able to top up an EZlink card at a ticket machine at one of the MRT stations using CSR around 2018-2019, but I tried again recently and it did not work.

Originally Posted by invisible
Requirement of local cards applies only to top up of transit cards (Nets FlashPay and EZlink) via GTM machines at train stations.
Can one use a foreign card to top up at a staffed ticket office in one of the stations instead?
Old May 2, 2023, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by econ
I remember being able to top up an EZlink card at a ticket machine at one of the MRT stations using CSR around 2018-2019, but I tried again recently and it did not work.
Correct. This ability has been disabled since Jan 2022.
Originally Posted by econ
Can one use a foreign card to top up at a staffed ticket office in one of the stations instead?
No. It is countrywide policy and will not change.
Old May 4, 2023, 1:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by invisible
Correct. This ability has been disabled since Jan 2022.

No. It is countrywide policy and will not change.
Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.