Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Singaporean Food (Laksa and Chicken Rice) and late night suggestions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singaporean Food (Laksa and Chicken Rice) and late night suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2022, 6:56 pm

Laksa... depends on your preference as well as what you're looking for... For example one of the OG laksa places (in theory) is called Janggut Laksa (supposedly before 328 Katong Laksa)There was a place at Old Airport Road Hawker Center that wasn't too bad, but that was a LONG time ago. Not sure if they're still around (especially after covid)... was located in the row facing Dunman. Not sure what time these places would close.

As for chicken rice (sorry, joined this a tad late)... Tian Tian wasn't too bad, but there was a stall down the aisle a bit (maybe 3 stalls over?) that wasn't too bad either. There was one that sells vegetarian chicken rice that was suggested to me... 33 Vegetarian (https://www.misstamchiak.com/33-vegetarian/ is a review)...
Old Nov 8, 2022, 9:13 pm

For really good local food, just go to the non-touristy eating houses and hawker centres and buy whatever takes your fancy, it is difficult to go very wrong. Avoid Newton Circus, Lau Pa Sat, Orchard Rd, those types of places. Go to Chinatown Complex, Hong Lim, Tekka, Serangoon Rd (that chapati place on Norris Rd corner), Zion Riverside, Geylang Serai and surrounds, Bedok etc.

Where are you staying? That will help to know.

Late night - most of the really good local eating houses close around 9:00 or 9:30pm so you will be struggling to find places open beyond that that aren't touristy (eg Newton Circus is touristy, overpriced and not very good). Maybe Boon Tat Street, which opens in the evening and goes late - mainly satay. Zam Zam closes at 11:00pm (mamak restaurant).
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by stmaus
Zam Zam closes at 11:00pm (mamak restaurant).
When did they start closing at 11? Last time I was there (admittedly several years ago), they were open 24 hours...
Old Nov 10, 2022, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Sorry, I know I am OT, albeit about food and restaurant.
Are Singapore restaurants still require "TraceTogether Safe Entry" QR code to dine in? I couldn't seem to find more current info re such.
Appreciate any uodate. TIA
Old Nov 10, 2022, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Are Singapore restaurants still require "TraceTogether Safe Entry" QR code to dine in? I couldn't seem to find more current info re such.
No.
allset2travel likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 12:37 am

Not required, but you might want to use this thread instead.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
No.
Thank you.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
Not required, but you might want to use this thread instead.
Thanks for the link. Will check it out!
Old Nov 11, 2022, 5:25 pm

Did not have to show any QR codes for dining in during my weeklong stay in October.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 2:03 am

Programs: SPG LTP, HH D
Originally Posted by stmaus
For really good local food, just go to the non-touristy eating houses and hawker centres and buy whatever takes your fancy, it is difficult to go very wrong. Avoid Newton Circus, Lau Pa Sat, Orchard Rd, those types of places. Go to Chinatown Complex, Hong Lim, Tekka, Serangoon Rd (that chapati place on Norris Rd corner), Zion Riverside, Geylang Serai and surrounds, Bedok etc.

Where are you staying? That will help to know.

Late night - most of the really good local eating houses close around 9:00 or 9:30pm so you will be struggling to find places open beyond that that aren't touristy (eg Newton Circus is touristy, overpriced and not very good). Maybe Boon Tat Street, which opens in the evening and goes late - mainly satay. Zam Zam closes at 11:00pm (mamak restaurant).
There's also the teochew muay 潮州糜 eating houses. At one time they used to open well past midnight, the ones at Havelock come to mind for Zouk patrons, and another at Beauty World. Personally I think the Havelock ones are a shadow of their past selves, and I haven't been to the Beauty World one (Joo Seng?).
Old Nov 13, 2022, 6:47 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
What are your favorites?
None. I never needed or wanted to have my dinner at 1AM because usually I was at home and sleeping for at least 2h by that time.

You can try your luck at hawker centers next to Bedok, Saragoon and Bishan bus interchanges (in this priority).
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 9:46 am

There are plenty of late night options. Newton Food Centre, Lau Pa Sat are some examples, but could be pricier. A very local option would be Bedok 85.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 7:01 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Which centrally-located (Orchard to Esplanade/Marina Bay to Chinatown) food courts are currently open a little later on weekends, beyond 10pm?

Kopitiam in Plaza Singapura is listed as 11pm on weekends, possibly because they have cinemas there. Is this a sure thing or are most stalls likely to close early with only a few left operating until closing time?
Old Mar 29, 2023, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Bali_Lover
There are plenty of late night options. Newton Food Centre, Lau Pa Sat are some examples, but could be pricier. A very local option would be Bedok 85.
A lot of stalls at Newton are closed late at night.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 6:36 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
A lot of stalls at Newton are closed late at night.
Yeah, bit too far for me though. Maxwell is a lot closer but I'm not sure how accurate Google Maps' 2AM closing time really is...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.