FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-510/)
-   -   Where to stay for a 26-hour trip in Singapore? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore/2075488-where-stay-26-hour-trip-singapore.html)

lsquare Apr 12, 2022 9:20 am

Where to stay for a 26-hour trip in Singapore?

I really don't want to book two nights for this upcoming trip. I'll arrive in Singapore at 6:45 AM. I'll leave Singapore the next day at 9 AM. That's roughly 26-hours. I think I'll most likely be tired by the time I land since I'll be flying in from North America. I plan to find a place, get a little bit of sleep, go out for some food, shop, and then take the last MRT to Changi. Then spend the next 7-8 hours at the airport and chill out before flying out. Any suggestions on where to stay?

Visconti Apr 12, 2022 9:23 am

Ah, I'd lean towards something along the lines of the GH on Orchard, or something in that area. It's close to the MTR and easy enough to hangout until the final departure. What you're opting for is what I would and have done many times with similar itineraries.

lsquare Apr 12, 2022 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Visconti (Post 34158761)
Ah, I'd lean towards something along the lines of the GH on Orchard, or something in that area. It's close to the MTR and easy enough to hangout until the final departure. What you're opting for is what I would and have done many times with similar itineraries.

Have you been there before? Decent breakfast? Good lounge? I'm not against the GH if I can easily and quickly head back towards Changi. On my last trip to Singapore in 2019, rather than spend the night at a hotel, I checked out at 4 PM, left my suitcase at the hotel, went back, and took the last train to Changi. I checked my suitcase and then spent the entire night at a Plaza Premium lounge before taking the morning flight to HKG. I hate paying for a hotel only to check out early in the morning. I wonder if the GH will let me check in at around 8 AM, get breakfast, sleep a bit, do a little bit of work on the laptop, check out the lounge, and then check out by around 9 PM?

I forgot to mention that I'll also need to take a COVID test before flying back into the US?

Visconti Apr 12, 2022 9:46 am

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 34158808)
Have you been there before? Decent breakfast? Good lounge? I'm not against the GH if I can easily and quickly head back towards Changi. On my last trip to Singapore in 2019, rather than spend the night at a hotel, I checked out at 4 PM, left my suitcase at the hotel, went back, and took the last train to Changi. I checked my suitcase and then spent the entire night at a Plaza Premium lounge before taking the morning flight to HKG. I hate paying for a hotel only to check out early in the morning. I wonder if the GH will let me check in at around 8 AM, get breakfast, sleep a bit, do a little bit of work on the laptop, check out the lounge, and then check out by around 9 PM?

Yes, several times. As a Glob, early check is possible if there's availability and, of course, you get late checkout. The lounge is pretty good as one would expect for a lounge in SE Asia, though I do prefer the one in the GH HKG. During the evenings, food selection is pretty good with some excellent high quality cheeses. Breakfast is at the lounge and they've got an egg station and all the standard breakfast items, including, if I recall, dim sum, jook and noodles.

Only con is, at least in my experience, they don't appear to be as loose as other SE Asia Hyatts with those comp suite upgrades.

I forgot to mention that I'll also need to take a COVID test before flying back into the US?

For now, yes. Hopefully, we'll revaluate this hindrance soon.

paperwastage Apr 12, 2022 9:53 am

Are you trying to adjust to Asia time immediately?

One option is a day room rate at changi (Aerotel airside or yotelair landside), 4 hour minimum. You have to email them to check availability

Sleep 4hr immediately after landing. Stay awake noon-11pm to adjust to Asia time.
Then either stick with your original plan (hang out in airport overnight), or pay for an actual night

Will be easier if you travel light, AND you can do early check-in (it's much more difficult post COVID compared to precovid - many things might still be closed, or airline not offering early check-in anymore)

Edit: I see OP's responses now (flying back to usa)

lsquare Apr 12, 2022 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Visconti (Post 34158828)
Yes, several times. As a Glob, early check is possible if there's availability and, of course, you get late checkout. The lounge is pretty good as one would expect for a lounge in SE Asia, though I do prefer the one in the GH HKG. During the evenings, food selection is pretty good with some excellent high quality cheeses. Breakfast is at the lounge and they've got an egg station and all the standard breakfast items, including, if I recall, dim sum, jook and noodles.

Only con is, at least in my experience, they don't appear to be as loose as other SE Asia Hyatts with those comp suite upgrades.

For now, yes. Hopefully, we'll revaluate this hindrance soon.

What was pre-COVID pricing like? I just checked for the day that I'd be in Singapore, and it's S$489/night! Yikes! Seems a bit expensive for the amount of time that I'll be in the hotel?

Visconti Apr 12, 2022 9:56 am

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 34158850)
What was pre-COVID pricing like? I just checked for the day that I'd be in Singapore, and it's S$489/night! Yikes! Seems a bit expensive for the amount of time that I'll be in the hotel?

Whoa! If I recall, it had generally ranged from $180 - $250 USD? Of course, you had high rates sprinkled here and there during high demand times, but that was the avg rate I recall.

paperwastage Apr 12, 2022 10:02 am

https://www.dorsetthotels.com/en/dor...hour-stay.html

Dorsett has 26hour flexible stay(book directly), pool/gym/jacuzzi included, Chinatown location

lsquare Apr 12, 2022 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Visconti (Post 34158851)
Whoa! If I recall, it had generally ranged from $180 - $250 USD? Of course, you had high rates sprinkled here and there during high demand times, but that was the avg rate I recall.

I'll keep that in mind. I checked the GH's rate for another date in May, and it dropped to S$374. It still seems a bit expensive for what I'm trying to do. It'll be easier to consider if I spent a proper night and checked out at 4 PM the following day.

lsquare Apr 12, 2022 10:11 am

Originally Posted by paperwastage (Post 34158845)
Are you trying to adjust to Asia time immediately?

One option is a day room rate at changi (Aerotel airside or yotelair landside), 4 hour minimum. You have to email them to check availability

Sleep 4hr immediately after landing. Stay awake noon-11pm to adjust to Asia time.
Then either stick with your original plan (hang out in airport overnight), or pay for an actual night

Will be easier if you travel light, AND you can do early check-in (it's much more difficult post COVID compared to precovid - many things might still be closed, or airline not offering early check-in anymore)

Edit: I see OP's responses now (flying back to usa)

Originally Posted by Visconti (Post 34158851)

Originally Posted by paperwastage (Post 34158863)
https://www.dorsetthotels.com/en/dor...hour-stay.html

Dorsett has 26hour flexible stay(book directly), pool/gym/jacuzzi included, Chinatown location

No, I'm not really trying to adjust to Singapore time as I'll be leaving Singapore the following day. I just need to make sure I have enough energy to get the last train back to Changi.

You got any recommendations on where to go to get a COVID test for flying to the US?

I don't really see a point in booking a hotel for the day at Changi, as it doesn't really help me unless I'm missing something here.

I've never heard of Dorsett before. Is this a local Singaporean chain? I'm seeing S$165/night for the day I'll be in Singapore. Unfortunately, breakfast isn't included, and I don't know if it'll be worth paying for. Your link indicates a 26-hour flexible stay, but it said check-in time was 3:00 PM when I clicked on your link.

paperwastage Apr 12, 2022 10:32 am

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 34158894)
You got any recommendations on where to go to get a COVID test for flying to the US?

would suggest bringing 2 video-observation covid tests (each test = USD $20 video observation plus cost of test). one for backup in case your flight delayed/other issues

so far, the USA pre-departure requirement is calendar day before, so you could just schedule this when you land (9am) and do it in your hotel room, don't need to hunt for location.

(examples)
https://www.azova.com/testing/ongo/
https://www.azova.com/testing/ellume/
https://www.azova.com/flowflexvideo/
https://store.optum.com/shop/product...st-kit-2-pack/

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33862410-post517.html

otherwise, you can review the locations/hours/pricing of the ART tests below - somewhat cheaper I guess (SGD$25-$60). some may not work for trave (or charge more)
https://www.moh.gov.sg/licensing-and...swab-providers

I don't really see a point in booking a hotel for the day at Changi, as it doesn't really help me unless I'm missing something here.
if you're not adjusting to asia time, then yeah i agree

I've never heard of Dorsett before. Is this a local Singaporean chain? I'm seeing S$165/night for the day I'll be in Singapore. Unfortunately, breakfast isn't included, and I don't know if it'll be worth paying for. Your link indicates a 26-hour flexible stay, but it said check-in time was 3:00 PM when I clicked on your link.
i guess the page doesn't mention if it's 100% guaranteed. email them and ask?

breakfast at chinatown? walk to the hawker center and get some food

MarkNoThanks Apr 12, 2022 10:53 am

DELETE

a5un Apr 12, 2022 11:25 am

That's what they said, but I've entered US a few times this year and no one checks for COVID test at the airline check-in counter nor at the CBP checkpoint in US. I'd say if you can get pass the airline check-in, you're free and clear.

Visconti Apr 12, 2022 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by a5un (Post 34159124)
That's what they said, but I've entered US a few times this year and no one checks for COVID test at the airline check-in counter nor at the CBP checkpoint in US. I'd say if you can get pass the airline check-in, you're free and clear.

Did you notice any kind of pattern? US or foreign carriers?

a5un Apr 12, 2022 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti (Post 34159242)
Did you notice any kind of pattern? US or foreign carriers?

For sure the CBP officers never bothered. I have been asked for the COVID test result early in the year in Singapore during check-in (United). Since, I've entered US from Europe (via Canada, AC), Caribbean (AA), and no one asked for the COVID test results. I'd say if the country you're flying from is lax about COVID, chances are no one will bother to check the test result.