Wiki Posts
Search

Transit Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2022, 4:26 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by thebakaronis
Thanks for your response.

It turns out that my outbound trip from the US is likely to connect in Singapore, but I'll end up with 2 different PNR numbers: one to SIN and the other for my onward connecting flight from SIN. In this situation, it looks like I have to go through the lengthy, cumbersome process as though I'm going to "enter" Singapore even though I'm going to remain in the airport for only a few hours. But this leads to a specific conundrum. One of the requirements for entering visitors is that they have to take an ART test within 24 hours of entry. Do connecting passengers also have to do this if they have tickets on 2 different PNRs? In other words, should they be getting themselves tested at the airport?

(What a royal pain in the ...!)
I think it depends on whether you can get thru check in. If you can get your boarding pass from UA then all your problems are solved. Or even if you to board on UA. SQ has a transfer counter in Terminal 3 where you can get your onward boarding card.

Last edited by Davvidd; Mar 11, 2022 at 4:33 am
Old Mar 11, 2022, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by emag_eh7
Wow, thanks for the link. That would be super helpful and really help streamline things for us. Please report back on your experience, thanks!
Here's another update - they're moving towards unsupervised ARTs for VTL travellers!
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/sing...oh-mtf-2557781

Originally Posted by crackjack
That makes sense, but I don’t understand why the SG government would not announce the approvals given, seeing as they have been so quick to do so for every other change they’ve made.

They have not even updated the SafeTravel or QTC/CTC pages to confirm allowance of these tele-ARTs.

Will wait to hear your experience with them and the TT app.
Maybe they didn't bother cos they're more or less scrapping the supervised ARTs?
In any case, for what it's worth, I have to say that the tele-supervised ARTs in Singapore are not particularly user friendly.
Could barely get a decent time slot with DA. Got one with Kingston Medical, but they weren't punctual with admitting me through the zoom link. They were about 15 minutes late. Hotline had a perpetual busy tone. When they finally admitted me, they had me fill in a bunch of personal details through zoom messaging, which tbh they could have obtained from me in advance to save time. They did not verify my ID by asking me to show my NRIC/passport, which I thought was a massive loophole. The results came in about 1.5 hours via SMS and email (images below). The TT app and my HealthHub were not updated (but from what I recall, the arrival PCR from my trip in January wasn't updated either). It's not as convenient as the CLEA app in Malaysia. I'm just glad they're removing the requirement for supervision from 15 March.

emag_eh7 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by thebakaronis
My proposed route will be UA + SQ. But, as far as I know, UA won't check luggage all the way through since they're 2 different PNRs. (As an aside, although UA & SQ are Star Alliance partners, they don't seem to be too keen on cooperating with each other.) In my case, I won't have checked luggage. So does that made all the difference? If the definition of "transit" hinges solely on checked luggage then those with carry-on only should be able to connect without going through the exit & re-entry procedure?

You are right checked luggage is not the show stopper, you may not be allowed to board from your starting point, so be careful!! These rules and regulations are causing havoc for many!
Old Mar 11, 2022, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by flyingbubbles
Here's another update - they're moving towards unsupervised ARTs for VTL travellers!

Ooooh, “OR”…

As I said before, this makes no sense.
If you’re going to go with the ‘honour’ system, you’ll get zero COVID-positive cases from individuals who desperately do not want to be stuck in their hotels for an uncertain amount of time.

I mean, I definitely wouldn’t want that when I enter Singapore later in the year…

Just remove arrival testing and call it a day.

Maybe they didn't bother cos they're more or less scrapping the supervised ARTs?
In any case, for what it's worth, I have to say that the tele-supervised ARTs in Singapore are not particularly user friendly.
Could barely get a decent time slot with DA. Got one with Kingston Medical, but they weren't punctual with admitting me through the zoom link. They were about 15 minutes late. Hotline had a perpetual busy tone. When they finally admitted me, they had me fill in a bunch of personal details through zoom messaging, which tbh they could have obtained from me in advance to save time. They did not verify my ID by asking me to show my NRIC/passport, which I thought was a massive loophole. The results came in about 1.5 hours via SMS and email (images below). The TT app and my HealthHub were not updated (but from what I recall, the arrival PCR from my trip in January wasn't updated either). It's not as convenient as the CLEA app in Malaysia. I'm just glad they're removing the requirement for supervision from 15 March.
Interesting. Still, do note that it does not say anything regarding ‘VTL OAT’ on your results.

The QTC and CTC list makes a clear differentiation of clinics allowed to offer such ‘VTL OAT’ and other ART testing (pre-event, community ART, etc.). I don’t know if it is still relevant, but that is clearly listed.

Anyway, guess it won’t make a difference in 4 days.

Last edited by crackjack; Mar 11, 2022 at 8:44 am
Old Mar 11, 2022, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by crackjack
Ooooh, “OR”…

As I said before, this makes no sense.
If you’re going to go with the ‘honour’ system, you’ll get ZERO COVID-positive cases from individuals who desperately do not want to be stuck in their hotels.

Just remove arrival testing and call it a day.

Interesting. Still, do note that it does not say anything regarding ‘VTL OAT’ on your results.

The QTC and CTC list makes a clear differentiation of clinics allowed to offer such ‘VTL OAT’ and other ART testing (pre-event, community ART, etc.). I don’t know if it is still relevant, but that is clearly listed.

Anyway, guess it won’t make a difference in 4 days.
Good point. I did tell them it was for an OAT, but it seems like they left it out. Have emailed for clarification.
In any case, the clinic is on the list of clinics allowed to offer OAT.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 10:09 am

Programs: AS Peon
Great news! Safe Travels has been updated too. Curiously enough, it doesn't mention anything about isolating before/after the test. Maybe we can get away with not even getting a hotel now - just get a test from somewhere airside (assuming that's possible?) and find somewhere in a lounge or in the terminal at large to do the test and wait until the results are produced. Thoughts on this?

I suppose the biggest issue could be taking off our masks to actually take the test while not being in a hotel room. Can't imagine that would go too well, though unsure of how long it needs to be off to take the test.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by emag_eh7
Great news! Safe Travels has been updated too. Curiously enough, it doesn't mention anything about isolating before/after the test. Maybe we can get away with not even getting a hotel now - just get a test from somewhere airside (assuming that's possible?) and find somewhere in a lounge or in the terminal at large to do the test and wait until the results are produced. Thoughts on this?

I suppose the biggest issue could be taking off our masks to actually take the test while not being in a hotel room. Can't imagine that would go too well, though unsure of how long it needs to be off to take the test.
You should be able to buy test kits at a pharmacy / convenience store at Changi (e.g. Cheers, Guardian) - think there are stores both airside and landside. The masks are not off for long when you're doing the test - certainly a lot less time than it takes to eat a meal at a restaurant! You could just go to a washroom and do the test there. Place the cartridge in a ziploc bag (there may even be one that comes with the kit) so it's easy for you to carry it out of the washroom and subsequently dispose of it.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 7:35 am

Programs: Former UA1K transitioning to WFBF mentality
You should be able to buy test kits at a pharmacy / convenience store at Changi (e.g. Cheers, Guardian) - think there are stores both airside and landside. The masks are not off for long when you're doing the test - certainly a lot less time than it takes to eat a meal at a restaurant! You could just go to a washroom and do the test there. Place the cartridge in a ziploc bag (there may even be one that comes with the kit) so it's easy for you to carry it out of the washroom and subsequently dispose of it.
Just a note of caution - you may need to keep the cassette/cartridge flat (horizontal) while during the 15 minutes, otherwise you can affect the progress of the test/fluids.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 7:49 am

Programs: AS Peon
Originally Posted by marks88
Just a note of caution - you may need to keep the cassette/cartridge flat (horizontal) while during the 15 minutes, otherwise you can affect the progress of the test/fluids.
Are showers open in SQ lounges? Could probably just buy the tests, then head to the lounge and take the test and let it sit on something in the bathroom while showering and such. No issues with masks or keeping it flat then, and we feel refreshed and ready to go afterwards.

Edit: Although, I just took a look at the VTP application and it looks like a hotel is required for self isolation. So this probably wouldn't work out how I'd like, and we'll still need a hotel anyway. Maybe it changes in a few days when unsupervised tests are officially accepted though.

Last edited by emag_eh7; Mar 12, 2022 at 7:59 am
Old Mar 28, 2022, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA 1P, HH Silver
I'm thinking of booking a flight from SFO to CGK with layover in SIN. If I don't book a hotel, can I go outside during layover? There's a route where I can get 12 hours of layover so definitely don't need hotel. I have Indonesian passport so don't need visa. I can't seem to find the official rule anywhere.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 9:38 pm

If you meet the vaccination requirement and have a suitable pre-departure test for Singapore, the mandatory covid insurance and install the TT app there should be no issues entering as no on arrival test required after April 1.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 2:27 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Just wondering if there is talk of eliminating the following transit restriction:

Under the government’s transit travel rules, passengers who are transiting through Changi and plan to depart on a different airline, must have both flights booked in the same booking itinerary. Passengers must also have their checked-in luggage tagged-through from the origin airport to their final destination.
It used to be super convenient to book say a JL ticket to SIN, and then an SQ ticket onward to another SE Asia location, even with checked bags. Just stop by a transit desk, get your onward BPs, and request for your bags to be forwarded.

Do I understand correctly that now, one would need to enter Singapore, and then check-in landside for the onward ticket?

Thank you for any insight.
Old May 4, 2022, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
I am trying to fly on United nonstop SFO-SIN in July. Would land at 6:15AM. Then I want to buy a SQ ticket to BKK for a 9:30AM departure. Is this not possible because its two separate tickets? I am also checking a bag, so I assume its not possible to transfer bags...I have to collect at baggage claim, check in with SQ, then back through security?
Old May 4, 2022, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
I am trying to fly on United nonstop SFO-SIN in July. Would land at 6:15AM. Then I want to buy a SQ ticket to BKK for a 9:30AM departure. Is this not possible because its two separate tickets? I am also checking a bag, so I assume its not possible to transfer bags...I have to collect at baggage claim, check in with SQ, then back through security?
For now, that's what you need to do. I'm planning to do the same this weekend, arriving in SIN on UA1 and connecting to an Air Asia flight. In the good ol days, you can just go to transfer desk airside and get your luggage transferred to your next flight, even on LCC like Jetstar or AirAsia. Hopefully that'll come back soon.
Old May 13, 2022, 4:27 pm

Programs: QF Bronze, UA GM
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Anybody understand how lounges work in Changi right now? Looking at a long transit and using Priority Pass but it seems most of their lounges are accessible "on departure" only, as in not usable when transit. How does that work?
I know some people are stuck in a certain area for transit, but if you have free roam over the airport why can't you use these?

For example, for SATS Premier in T1:
"Airside - turn left after passing through the departure Immigration. Take the first escalator leading to the airline lounges. The lounge is not accessible to transit passengers"
I'm also curious about this as I am due to transit through Changi later this year, and will need to use Priority Pass as I'm flying SIN-MEL in Y (on JQ no less!).

I presume it's Priority Pass either being lazy or engaging in some CYA in relation to the now-unused 'Transit Holding Area' arrangement (which could theoretically be reactivated, but probably won't). Certainly, Changi's own site describes both the SATS and Marhaba lounges in T1 as being available for transit passengers...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.