Transit Singapore

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transit Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2022, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by flyingbubbles
Just saw this article... it may provide additional options for your arrival test. If you don't have a local test kit, you could either get it at a convenience store in the airport (I think Cheers is open) or perhaps ask the hotel to procure one for you. I've just booked a slot for tomorrow, so if you need info re: the process/legitimacy, I'll update further.
https://mainlymiles.com/2022/03/10/v...-in-singapore/
Has this been announced by the government somewhere, that tele-health ART tests are accepted for the (within 24h) arrival test?

I can’t seem to find anything about this after a quick search…

It would definitely make the testing requirements for entering Singapore much less limiting.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 7:38 am

Programs: AS Peon
Just saw this article... it may provide additional options for your arrival test. If you don't have a local test kit, you could either get it at a convenience store in the airport (I think Cheers is open) or perhaps ask the hotel to procure one for you. I've just booked a slot for tomorrow, so if you need info re: the process/legitimacy, I'll update further.
https://mainlymiles.com/2022/03/10/v...-in-singapore/
Wow, thanks for the link. That would be super helpful and really help streamline things for us. Please report back on your experience, thanks!
Old Mar 10, 2022, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by crackjack
Has this been announced by the government somewhere, that tele-health ART tests are accepted for the (within 24h) arrival test?

I can’t seem to find anything about this after a quick search…

It would definitely make the testing requirements for entering Singapore much less limiting.
No, the government has not advertised it, however, when you go into the tele-health platforms, you have to select a reason for the supervised ART - on arrival testing is one of the available options.
I figure as long as they register the result in the system in a similar way to the QTCs, then it should be ok (i.e. if my TraceTogether app gets the PET checkmark and I get the email from the Swab Registration System, I should be all set). Just realized that I never received an SMS confirmation for the swab performed at Raffles Medical, but I did get one from the Plaza Singapura QTC - so maybe SMS is not reliable. I am within walking distance of a couple of QTCs, so I could still run out and get an in-person test done if it doesn't work well. Will report back on my experience with it tomorrow!
Old Mar 10, 2022, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I'm planning on purchasing a ticket with a transit in Singapore. It will be one ticket/booking: incoming on SQ and outbound to the US on UA. The transit time is about 10 hours overnight.

1. Are any of the lounges open overnight? I have both *A Gold and Priority Pass.
2. Given that it's one ticket and won't be leaving the airport, I don't need to go through the process of "entering" Singapore. In other words, just my rapid antigen test that I take for my US entry before boarding my flight to Singapore should suffice? Can someone confirm this, please?
Old Mar 10, 2022, 12:20 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by thebakaronis
I'm planning on purchasing a ticket with a transit in Singapore. It will be one ticket/booking: incoming on SQ and outbound to the US on UA. The transit time is about 10 hours overnight.

1. Are any of the lounges open overnight? I have both *A Gold and Priority Pass.
2. Given that it's one ticket and won't be leaving the airport, I don't need to go through the process of "entering" Singapore. In other words, just my rapid antigen test that I take for my US entry before boarding my flight to Singapore should suffice? Can someone confirm this, please?
Yes the SQ lounge in Terminal 3 is open all night. I just did a 10 hour layover in SIN and used this lounge. As a * Gold you can use this. It has a fairly decent food and seating too. And a bar service until midnight and a hot meal service until 0200 if my memory serves me right.

As for the Antigen test I guess it depends on the time taken? I had to do a PCR test as I was going to a different destination.
thebakaronis likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 4:58 pm

No, the government has not advertised it, however, when you go into the tele-health platforms, you have to select a reason for the supervised ART - on arrival testing is one of the available options.
I figure as long as they register the result in the system in a similar way to the QTCs, then it should be ok (i.e. if my TraceTogether app gets the PET checkmark and I get the email from the Swab Registration System, I should be all set)
That makes sense, but I don’t understand why the SG government would not announce the approvals given, seeing as they have been so quick to do so for every other change they’ve made.

They have not even updated the SafeTravel or QTC/CTC pages to confirm allowance of these tele-ARTs.

Will wait to hear your experience with them and the TT app.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Davvidd
Yes the SQ lounge in Terminal 3 is open all night. I just did a 10 hour layover in SIN and used this lounge. As a * Gold you can use this. It has a fairly decent food and seating too. And a bar service until midnight and a hot meal service until 0200 if my memory serves me right.

As for the Antigen test I guess it depends on the time taken? I had to do a PCR test as I was going to a different destination.
Thanks for your response.

It turns out that my outbound trip from the US is likely to connect in Singapore, but I'll end up with 2 different PNR numbers: one to SIN and the other for my onward connecting flight from SIN. In this situation, it looks like I have to go through the lengthy, cumbersome process as though I'm going to "enter" Singapore even though I'm going to remain in the airport for only a few hours. But this leads to a specific conundrum. One of the requirements for entering visitors is that they have to take an ART test within 24 hours of entry. Do connecting passengers also have to do this if they have tickets on 2 different PNRs? In other words, should they be getting themselves tested at the airport?

(What a royal pain in the ...!)
Old Mar 10, 2022, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Thanks for your response.

It turns out that my outbound trip from the US is likely to connect in Singapore, but I'll end up with 2 different PNR numbers: one to SIN and the other for my onward connecting flight from SIN. In this situation, it looks like I have to go through the lengthy, cumbersome process as though I'm going to "enter" Singapore even though I'm going to remain in the airport for only a few hours. But this leads to a specific conundrum. One of the requirements for entering visitors is that they have to take an ART test within 24 hours of entry. Do connecting passengers also have to do this if they have tickets on 2 different PNRs? In other words, should they be getting themselves tested at the airport?

(What a royal pain in the ...!)
Very bad planning on your part. Transit means you do not go through customs and immigration and that your luggage is tagged all the way to your final destination. So good luck.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 7:23 pm

Programs: QF, CX, BA
I am also interested in this! I know many will say 'bad planning', but I have two PNRs for SYD-SIN//SIN-DXB booked in July. I am hoping by then that the transit rules will have changed and they will allow pax with 2 PNRs to transit and transit desks will be open, but I will not hold my breath. Coming from Aus on a VTL flight, I am prepared to go through customs into Singapore and then walk back upstairs to check in. I understand this may cause an issue with the on arrival testing (if it is still a thing then, the way things are trending I would think not...), but with 24hr tele appointments available, there is nothing to stop me from picking up a RAT test, doing a tele appt at the airport and then flying on through without any issues.

If you are leaving Singapore straight away I might be tempted to skip the on arrival test altogether, but as others have noted the Singapore government might be less than impressed with this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mitellic
I am also interested in this! I know many will say 'bad planning', but I have two PNRs for SYD-SIN//SIN-DXB booked in July. I am hoping by then that the transit rules will have changed and they will allow pax with 2 PNRs to transit and transit desks will be open, but I will not hold my breath. Coming from Aus on a VTL flight, I am prepared to go through customs into Singapore and then walk back upstairs to check in. I understand this may cause an issue with the on arrival testing (if it is still a thing then, the way things are trending I would think not...), but with 24hr tele appointments available, there is nothing to stop me from picking up a RAT test, doing a tele appt at the airport and then flying on through without any issues.

If you are leaving Singapore straight away I might be tempted to skip the on arrival test altogether, but as others have noted the Singapore government might be less than impressed with this.

As long as your luggage is tagged all the way to your final destination you are in Transit! Now if not then you are responsible for your error in judgement if not poor planning.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is what I received today:

We refer to your email on the 10 Mar 2022.2 Only passengers travelling with an airline whose transfer route via Singapore has been approved by the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) will be allowed to transit/transfer at Singapore’s Changi Airport. Transit passengers need to have their baggage checked through to their onward destination, as they will not be allowed to enter Singapore. Travellers are advised to confirm arrangements with the airlines they intend to fly with before purchasing their flight tickets.

3 If transits are permitted, as a precaution, stringent measures will be instituted to ensure that the transit passengers remain in designated facilities in the transit area and do not mix with the other passengers whilst at Changi Airport. Existing precautionary measures, such as safe distancing, temperature taking for passengers and staff, will continue to be enforced.

4 Travellers may refer the Safe Travel website at https://safetravel.ica.gov.sg/transit/overview to find out about the Pre-Departure COVID-19 Test and Entry Visas requirements to transit through Singapore.

Thank you.

With regards,

For the SAFE TRAVEL OFFICE
Old Mar 10, 2022, 8:04 pm

Programs: QF, CX, BA
Originally Posted by djjaguar64

We refer to your email on the 10 Mar 2022.2 Only passengers travelling with an airline whose transfer route via Singapore has been approved by the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) will be allowed to transit/transfer at Singapore’s Changi Airport. Transit passengers need to have their baggage checked through to their onward destination, as they will not be allowed to enter Singapore. Travellers are advised to confirm arrangements with the airlines they intend to fly with before purchasing their flight tickets.

3 If transits are permitted, as a precaution, stringent measures will be instituted to ensure that the transit passengers remain in designated facilities in the transit area and do not mix with the other passengers whilst at Changi Airport. Existing precautionary measures, such as safe distancing, temperature taking for passengers and staff, will continue to be enforced.

4 Travellers may refer the Safe Travel website at https://safetravel.ica.gov.sg/transit/overview to find out about the Pre-Departure COVID-19 Test and Entry Visas requirements to transit through Singapore.

Thank you.

With regards,

For the SAFE TRAVEL OFFICE
Interesting to note they don't mention that it must be a single itinerary/ticket. I am flying QF then EK, they have an agreement to check through luggage for separate PNRs, so it should be no problem for me then, as would be the case for other pax who are say flying *A as they often will check luggage through on separate tickets.

This seems to be a shift, as the rules stating that transits must occur on a single ticket would be policed by the airline at point of departure, so they wouldn't check bags through even if their airline policies allow it. In this case, it would seem that they are perhaps leaving it up to the airlines a little more.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 8:08 pm

Very bad planning on your part. Transit means you do not go through customs and immigration and that your luggage is tagged all the way to your final destination. So good luck.
Sorry, but it's silly (and judgmental) to label this situation as "bad planning" when you don't know the circumstances. Firstly, I haven't purchased the tickets. If anything, I'm planning this in excruciating detail by asking questions first. Secondly, it's not possible to buy the ticket from my point of origin to the destination on one ticket. Hence I'd be forced to buy them as 2 separate tickets. Thanks anyway!
mitellic, hurnik and Davvidd like this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 8:16 pm

Interesting to note they don't mention that it must be a single itinerary/ticket. I am flying QF then EK, they have an agreement to check through luggage for separate PNRs, so it should be no problem for me then, as would be the case for other pax who are say flying *A as they often will check luggage through on separate tickets.

This seems to be a shift, as the rules stating that transits must occur on a single ticket would be policed by the airline at point of departure, so they wouldn't check bags through even if their airline policies allow it. In this case, it would seem that they are perhaps leaving it up to the airlines a little more.
My proposed route will be UA + SQ. But, as far as I know, UA won't check luggage all the way through since they're 2 different PNRs. (As an aside, although UA & SQ are Star Alliance partners, they don't seem to be too keen on cooperating with each other.) In my case, I won't have checked luggage. So does that made all the difference? If the definition of "transit" hinges solely on checked luggage then those with carry-on only should be able to connect without going through the exit & re-entry procedure?
Old Mar 10, 2022, 9:31 pm

We refer to your email on the 10 Mar 2022.2 Only passengers travelling with an airline whose transfer route via Singapore has been approved by the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) will be allowed to transit/transfer at Singapore’s Changi Airport.
Travellers are advised to confirm arrangements with the airlines they intend to fly with before purchasing their flight tickets.

I believe this has been the approach that the Singapore ICA has taken for a while, not defining the requirement themselves, but leaving it to CAAS and the airlines.

I suspect it is separately backed by strict penalties on airlines if anything happens so that a passenger is stuck in Singapore (whether due to IRROPS, missing the connection due to delay, weather, what have you) without a valid entry pass into Singapore; also, there may are likely be separate directives for CAAS.
[EDIT] CAAS is technically part of Ministry of Transport, so also part of the government.

Hence, a traveller should confirm with the airline directly. SQ states on their website that they will only allow transit on one itinerary (and Changi Airport, governed by CAAS, has stated the same).

Just to add: If an airline is selling a ticket with transit through Singapore, it is almost certainly indicates the route is approved. Else, the airline will probably face fines, as they are responsible for getting that approval (unlike VTPs, which are each individual traveller’s responsibility).

My proposed route will be UA + SQ. But, as far as I know, UA won't check luggage all the way through since they're 2 different PNRs. (As an aside, although UA & SQ are Star Alliance partners, they don't seem to be too keen on cooperating with each other.) In my case, I won't have checked luggage. So does that made all the difference? If the definition of "transit" hinges solely on checked luggage then those with carry-on only should be able to connect without going through the exit & re-entry procedure?
It does not hinge only on luggage being checked through, but on what CAAS & the airlines allow.
(Checked-through baggage, is, however, one of the conditions for you to be considered to be ‘in transit’ at Changi when you do travel, and thus not need to leave the airside area.)

You should talk to UA and / or SQ if that is what you are planning.
thebakaronis likes this.

Last edited by crackjack; Mar 11, 2022 at 2:28 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.