Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Rules / Procedures for VTL passengers in Singapore

Rules / Procedures for VTL passengers in Singapore

Old Jul 9, 2022, 8:56 pm

You could probably get them in Denver as well. Except for the special bananas (which should be findable at an asian supermarket), the other ingredients are rather common. Using the regular bananas just doesn't do them justice.

Ah well. At least it's a learning experience in terms of how to get into Singapore.
Lori_Q likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 10:57 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Originally Posted by a5un
You know, you can get those banana fritters in Malaysia, Indonesia or Thailand too, right?
I would even say the ones in Indonesia are definitely better (specifically Kalimantan style fried banana fritters).

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
You could probably get them in Denver as well. Except for the special bananas (which should be findable at an asian supermarket), the other ingredients are rather common. Using the regular bananas just doesn't do them justice.

Ah well. At least it's a learning experience in terms of how to get into Singapore.
Special bananas are also known as plantain. Try asking for those in the Asian/Mexican supermarkets, should not be difficult to find. Might even have plantain chips!
Lori_Q likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by quirrow
Special bananas are also known as plantain. Try asking for those in the Asian/Mexican supermarkets, should not be difficult to find. Might even have plantain chips!
Yes, but these are specific varieties.of plantains/bananas. Back in the day, they'd be using a specific variety that was smallish in size.. And not always easy to find. I think the closest I've seen are some bananas/plantains coming out of Vietnam (at least they're the right size and can stand up to at least some frying).
Old Jul 25, 2022, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
Yes, but these are specific varieties.of plantains/bananas. Back in the day, they'd be using a specific variety that was smallish in size.. And not always easy to find. I think the closest I've seen are some bananas/plantains coming out of Vietnam (at least they're the right size and can stand up to at least some frying).
Ah, yes, those magical, sugary little bananas! Years ago, after our first visits to Indonesia & Singapore, I tried to find them locally. Denver has some good Asian markets, but fruits from halfway around the world don't travel well in any direction. :-) That's okay. They're more special if I have to go to them, rather than having them come to me.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Scifience
FWIW, my personal experience is that this did indeed work: on my most recent entry to Singapore in mid-May, I was able to use the automated gates for entry without any sort of registration and was through in ~30 seconds. Confirmation of 90-day visit pass issuance landed in my email a few minutes later.

I suspect the separate program might be an artifact of existing bilateral agreements that require it to give Singaporean citizens access to GE.
That's my question too. So, is the Singapore-US Frequent Traveller Program now no longer needed for US Citizens, since those with US Passports can already use the automated immigration as long as they clear immigration manually once, have biometrics captured, and are told by the officer that they can use the automated process on subsequent entries/exits?
Old Jan 15, 2023, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Resolution of my VTP Appeal to Singapore ICA

Hello, everyone. Awhile back I posted to this thread about my failure to complete the online Vaccinated Travel Pass before arriving in Singapore on February 2, 2022. I was stopped at Immigration by the Singapore Immigration Checkpoints Authority (ICA) and detained. Then I was sent back to the US the same day because my failure to complete the VTP violated the ICA's rules. I couldn't enter Singapore again without a Form 14a endorsed by a local sponsor (Singaporean or permanent resident). I'm happy to say this has been resolved! I was able to work with the ICA Appeals office to remove the requirement to complete a Form 14a (visit pass) for all future visits.

Here's what happened. Even though this is a long entry, there's more to it than this. Please send me a Private Message if you want more details:
  1. A few months after the debacle at Changi, I called Singapore ICA to ask for help in finding a local sponsor. Their phone number is +65 6812 5555. Getting a human Singaporean on the phone took several tries because the wait times were 2+ hours. I tried calling at odd hours, and right when their office opened. Finally I got through.
  2. The first nice ICA officer I talked to was shocked to hear I didn't know any Singaporeans. (This was annoying -- I live halfway around the world in Denver, Colorado, USA, where we have few Singaporeans -- and it's hard to meet more Singaporeans if I'm not allowed into Singapore.) He urged me to try to find a work colleague, friend, or professional-organization member who could complete the Form 14a. (Not helpful -- I did all of that, and I still didn't know any Singaporeans.)
  3. I called again another day. The second nice ICA officer suggested I contact the ICA Visit Pass office and ask for help. Their email address is [email protected].
  4. The ICA Visit Pass office replied to my email within a couple of days. They suggested I try the ICA Visit Pass Appeals office. Their email address is [email protected].
  5. Within a couple days of my email, the ICA Visit Pass Appeals office sent a reply with instructions for submitting an appeal. They stressed that the sponsor is important, but they would consider my case without a sponsor. I submitted the things they requested (a completed Form 14a without local-sponsor information, passport biometrics page, recent passport-size photo). In my email I reiterated that, although this situation was entirely my own fault, the restriction should be lifted because the VTP isn't being used anymore. I even sent a copy of my plane ticket, the URL for the SIN 'Do social event I planned to attend, and the URL for my LinkedIn profile to show I'm an upstanding and productive member of society. (I was feeling desperate by this point.)
  6. I waited a week with no answer. I sent my stuff again, with smaller file sizes to get the attachments under 5Mb. Still no answer for another week. I sent a third email asking whether they had received my request. No answer.
  7. I called the Singaporean Consulate in San Francisco to ask for advice. The Consul reviewed my case. She agreed that this situation was ridiculous, said they couldn't help me, but agreed that the Visit Pass Appeals office was the right place to make my request.
  8. While whining about this situation to a work friend, my friend suggested I try an old colleague of ours who had moved to Singapore recently. The colleague isn't a Singaporean, but she is entitled to work there. This old colleague offered to write a Visit Letter (Form 39a) with her Singapore digital ID number.
  9. I sent the Visit Letter and all of the documents to the Visit Pass Appeals email again. The very next day, they sent me a reply saying that my restrictions were lifted. I was given a letter to present to the ICA Duty Officer at Singapore Changi airport. I was able to create an online Singapore Arrivals Card, which I had been unable to do while my passport number was restricted.
  10. At Changi, after processing the form, the Duty Officer confirmed that my restrictions are now lifted. I can visit like a normal social visitor on future trips!
Conclusions:
  • Persistence is key.
  • Whining to you friends sometimes helps. And I made a friend in Singapore!
  • My impression of the ICA & Consul staff is that they are very kind and polite, but they will not break the rules. It was clear that they wanted to help me, but they couldn't because they had no clear path to deal with this exception. Helping them find a path was part of, uhh, the path.
  • I don't know whether the Form 39 visit letter from my old colleague is what tipped the balance in my favor, or if the Appeals office would have granted my appeal without it.
  • Now I REALLY want to spend more time in Singapore. While dealing with Singapore's restrictions was frustrating, this episode prompted me to feel respect for their rule of law. And everyone I talked to was kind and friendly.
P.s. I'm writing this from the WeWork at 22 Cross Street in Chinatown, Singapore!! The SIN 'Do was good, and I'm thrilled to be back on this island!
Kmxu and Cryofern like this.

Last edited by Lori_Q; Jan 15, 2023 at 9:45 pm Reason: grammar

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.