Search

Singapore goes back to semi-lockdown

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2021, 8:37 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by washeelers747
Will be interesting to see where is tipping point for government to decide, "screw it, we will open up our borders if vaccination rate don't hit their target numbers" it's not fair for government to keep borders closed for too long if there is plenty of vaccines available but people either refuse or being too slow to take it. Obviously, SG government can decide what they want to do with tourism / border but it seems all states in usa decide to go forward with "we are opening up, so get vaccinated asap or don't weep if you refuse to get it and get sick from covid".

They aren't holding the door for people who refuse to take it so risks fall on them. Will be interesting to see if SG and others in Asia will take similar approach (hopefully next few months).
Note that Singapore has not yet extended vaccination to people under 40 and have stretched the time between shots in order to be able to get more first jabs into people due to a lack of vaccine supply. So hitting the target numbers is not just because people are being slow to get themselves vaccinated.
washeelers747 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by washeelers747
Will be interesting to see where is tipping point for government to decide, "screw it, we will open up our borders if vaccination rate don't hit their target numbers" it's not fair for government to keep borders closed for too long if there is plenty of vaccines available but people either refuse or being too slow to take it. Obviously, SG government can decide what they want to do with tourism / border but it seems all states in usa decide to go forward with "we are opening up, so get vaccinated asap or don't weep if you refuse to get it and get sick from covid".

They aren't holding the door for people who refuse to take it so risks fall on them. Will be interesting to see if SG and others in Asia will take similar approach (hopefully next few months).
The USA never took Covid very seriously so their current attitude and behavior, although refreshing, is not surprising. No way any of the “Covid is the most dangerous virus ever” countries will all of a sudden adopt the EU/USA model of opening the door after vaccines. Travel around Asia/Australia is gonna be next to impossible for at least a year or two more.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Note that Singapore has not yet extended vaccination to people under 40 and have stretched the time between shots in order to be able to get more first jabs into people due to a lack of vaccine supply. So hitting the target numbers is not just because people are being slow to get themselves vaccinated.
If I'm not wrong, I believe the national vaccination program has done away with the minimum age criteria over the past week or so. My cousin had her Moderna shot last weekend and she's under 40. They've also been vaccinating schoolchildren recently. Vaccine supply is definitely an issue as the demand is great worldwide. As the SG government has also allowed private clinics to bring in WHO approved vaccines, let's cross fingers that we will be able to get more people vaccinated and open our borders sooner rather than later. I will happily submit to PCR nasopharyngeal swab tests if that's what we need to travel again. The only thing that's not viable is enforced extended quarantine > 3 days.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 8:04 am

Programs: M&M, Fan of MO, Shangri-La.
I do not agree that there's no way that any of those countries will change their track.

Thailand and Indonesia (at least tourist islands) are trying to find a way to get out of this corner. - Within weeks and months, not years.
Maybe they were never full members of that "club of zero" countries, but they were surely not nearly as open to their neighbours as the EU/USA either.

The will and the economic pressure to open up is obviously strong enough for those countries to make this turnaround.
This will not go unnoticed in Singapore, regardless of how much money is in Singapore's bank account.

- Reuters coverage on Thailand reopening in 120days
- SIA to increase flights to Phuket from current 2 to 7 weekly

> I'm optimistic that Singapore will not keep the head in the sand for much longer.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 9:35 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by flyingbubbles
If I'm not wrong, I believe the national vaccination program has done away with the minimum age criteria over the past week or so.
How did I miss this? You are right. June 10 they extended to 12-39 year old. Thanks!
Old Jun 20, 2021, 8:00 pm

In country where the government rules with an iron fist, they will continue this behavior. I don't think Singapore will get better before the end of the year. To many countries around it will not be able to vaccine a majority of their population.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by LoungeLizzard
I do not agree that there's no way that any of those countries will change their track.

Thailand and Indonesia (at least tourist islands) are trying to find a way to get out of this corner. - Within weeks and months, not years.
Maybe they were never full members of that "club of zero" countries, but they were surely not nearly as open to their neighbours as the EU/USA either.

The will and the economic pressure to open up is obviously strong enough for those countries to make this turnaround.
This will not go unnoticed in Singapore, regardless of how much money is in Singapore's bank account.

- Reuters coverage on Thailand reopening in 120days
- SIA to increase flights to Phuket from current 2 to 7 weekly

> I'm optimistic that Singapore will not keep the head in the sand for much longer.
Have you heard they have legalized or decriminalized cannabis in almost every first world country in the world and in Singapore you get the death penalty. I'm not sure what that says about Singapore keeping its head in the sand on issues and things.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by flyingislife
I don't think Singapore will get better before the end of the year.
I don’t think it will be ‘just’ end of the year.

In a local telegram group, which was originally created for travel and credit card deals, there was a poll - ‘if you are fully vaccinated, would you be in the same room with someone who is infected?’

80% said ‘no’. And this is among people who love(d) travel and are educated. Plus there is very vocal online community which on every corner declares that ‘we need to be safe’ with requests to ‘keep Singapore safe and the virus out’.

If you have such attitude, why would you even bother to think about opening?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 10:35 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by invisible

In a local telegram group, which was originally created for travel and credit card deals, there was a poll - ‘if you are fully vaccinated, would you be in the same room with someone who is infected?’

80% said ‘no’. And this is among people who love(d) travel and are educated. Plus there is very vocal online community which on every corner declares that ‘we need to be safe’ with requests to ‘keep Singapore safe and the virus out’.
What's the point of getting the jab then? Just openly accuse them of promoting vaccine hesitancy
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 10:47 am

Ah, it depends on how one interprets that question.

Here's what I mean. Before I had been vaccinated, I was willing to risk potential exposure with mitigation measures if I had felt the reward was commensurate with the risk. On the other hand, would I stroll into a room full of people who are all 100% beyond a shadow of a doubt infected? In this case, irrespective of whether or not I've been vaccinated, the answer would be, no. Why would I knowingly hangout with infected people? The only reason would be if there's something I had to gain to justify the risk; and, right now, I can't imagine what that would be.
zymm likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 8:22 pm

If you have such attitude, why would you even bother to think about opening?

I have friends that live there, and thee seem to be the same way. Thanks for the info.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Visconti
Ah, it depends on how one interprets that question.

Here's what I mean. Before I had been vaccinated, I was willing to risk potential exposure with mitigation measures if I had felt the reward was commensurate with the risk. On the other hand, would I stroll into a room full of people who are all 100% beyond a shadow of a doubt infected? In this case, irrespective of whether or not I've been vaccinated, the answer would be, no. Why would I knowingly hangout with infected people? The only reason would be if there's something I had to gain to justify the risk; and, right now, I can't imagine what that would be.
Fair enough. Now expand the question following way:

- would you, who is vaccinated, be in a room with people who are infected, but neither you nor they are aware of it?

If you think about what kind of answer you will get here, then you would understand based on what articles about ‘first vacation in eight years in a hotel which has Covid free five stars’ are based on…
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by invisible; Jun 22, 2021 at 7:12 pm
Old Jun 23, 2021, 4:16 am
Original Poster

FYI - friend of mine took 9 months old baby to a doctor - baby had a fever. Now he, baby and his wife are serving 5 day home arrest, I mean SHN.

Any fever now is treated as Covid regardless of age and other peculiarities and everyone in household must stay at home for 5 days.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 8:45 pm

https://www.straitstimes.com/opinion...-with-covid-19

IIt's an opinion article but written by govt taskforce members. Dunno how government/official you would consider this, but i think this is a pretty clear roadmap (except the timing part)

authors: Trade and Industry Minister Gan Kim Yong, Finance Minister Lawrence Wong and Health Minister Ong Ye Kung are co-chairs of the Covid-19 multi-ministry task force
Second, there may not be a need to conduct massive contact tracing and quarantining of people each time we discover an infection. People can get themselves tested regularly using a variety of fast and easy tests. If positive, they can confirm with a PCR test and then isolate themselves.

Third, instead of monitoring Covid-19 infection numbers every day, we will focus on the outcomes: how many fall very sick, how many in the intensive care unit, how many need to be intubated for oxygen, and so on. This is like how we now monitor influenza.

Fifth, we will be able to travel again, at least to countries that have also controlled the virus and turned it into an endemic norm. We will recognise each other's vaccination certificates. Travellers, especially those vaccinated, can get themselves tested before departure and be exempted from quarantine with a negative test upon arrival.
In Singapore, of the 120 plus fully vaccinated individuals who were nevertheless infected with Covid-19, including some aged above 65 - and were not resident at hospitals or nursing homes - all had either no or mild symptoms. In contrast, about 8 per cent of the unvaccinated developed serious symptoms.
(There are cases in other countries where fully vaccinated individuals (>2weeks after last mRNA dose) have died or gone into ICU. Some are elderly or with preexisting conditions, not sure the rates of those who are not in those categories)
JNelson113 and LETTERBOY like this.

Last edited by paperwastage; Jun 23, 2021 at 9:12 pm
Old Jun 25, 2021, 7:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by paperwastage
https://www.straitstimes.com/opinion...-with-covid-19

IIt's an opinion article but written by govt taskforce members. Dunno how government/official you would consider this, but i think this is a pretty clear roadmap (except the timing part)

authors: Trade and Industry Minister Gan Kim Yong, Finance Minister Lawrence Wong and Health Minister Ong Ye Kung are co-chairs of the Covid-19 multi-ministry task force

(There are cases in other countries where fully vaccinated individuals (>2weeks after last mRNA dose) have died or gone into ICU. Some are elderly or with preexisting conditions, not sure the rates of those who are not in those categories)
Excellent article, thank you. This is a very common sense, anti-hysteria, approach to living with Covid.
LETTERBOY and Visconti like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.