Singapore goes back to semi-lockdown

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore goes back to semi-lockdown

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2021, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by JNelson113
No, there was an article in the Straits Times recently that speculated on years to open Singapore. Many of us were commenting on that article (if not in this thread, then in the other active one in this forum).

Fingers crossed that you are right!!!!!
Which one? I've been asking for this info

The ST article in this thread didn't say that. Just a hypothetical future where someone takes their first overseas vacation (8years since onset of covid), these are steps you need to take before departing sg(covid test, vaccine booster, verification of hotel with covid cleaning standards)

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...life-look-like

Nowhere did it quote govt officials saying that sg govt expects closed borders for next 8 years, or sg researchers/scientists expecting or aiming for that
it is speculation, but seems like the author is just exaggerating stuff to hook the reader within the article intro. Difference between news and op-ed

Last edited by paperwastage; Jun 15, 2021 at 10:33 pm
Old Jun 16, 2021, 10:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by paperwastage
Which one? I've been asking for this info

The ST article in this thread didn't say that. Just a hypothetical future where someone takes their first overseas vacation (8years since onset of covid), these are steps you need to take before departing sg(covid test, vaccine booster, verification of hotel with covid cleaning standards)

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...life-look-like

Nowhere did it quote govt officials saying that sg govt expects closed borders for next 8 years, or sg researchers/scientists expecting or aiming for that
it is speculation, but seems like the author is just exaggerating stuff to hook the reader within the article intro. Difference between news and op-ed
That's true. But if the author thinks that it will take 8 years for Singaporeans to first take a vacation, then it's unlikely that the border would be open until then.

Fair enough. I continue to have fingers crossed that Singapore will open by 2022.
LETTERBOY and paperwastage like this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by JNelson113
Fair enough. I continue to have fingers crossed that Singapore will open by 2022.
Don’t have too much hope:
Given that the region is still facing rolling waves of Covid-19 infection, there will not be "open and free travel" anytime soon, Finance Minister Lawrence Wong said in an interview with American news outlet CNBC on Wednesday, June 16, for the CNBC
https://mothership.sg/2021/06/no-ope...lawrence-wong/

What is ‘anytime soon’ I will let everyone interpret on his/her own.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 1:22 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Singapore is not going for Covid zero in the way Australia and NZ are . It’s really quite obvious. They do allow visitors albeit from very few nations. They do allow citizens and PRs to leave and return without permission (although nearly always need to quarantine) unlike the fortress my “home” country has become.

They don’t really want to know how much of the virus is out there - as long as people aren’t getting sick. You basically have to be quite sick already to get a test if you can be bothered fronting up to a doctor, paying for the privilege and maybe or maybe not you will get referred for a test . In Australia testing is much more liberal - anyone who has a slight symptom. They want Covid zero. Singapore just wants to make their people think they want Covid zero, but stuff around behind the scenes which is why there are permanent mask restrictions and even outside “heightened restrictions” alcohol curfews.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 2:28 am

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
So, basically, it's not about protecting the nation, but about exercising control?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by invisible
Don’t have too much hope:

https://mothership.sg/2021/06/no-ope...lawrence-wong/

What is ‘anytime soon’ I will let everyone interpret on his/her own.
Oh the other hand, moh on 10 June says

https://www.moh.gov.sg/news-highligh...re-open-safely

Keeping Our Community Safe 21. Vaccination remains a key enabler and its ability to help Singapore re-open safely can only be felt when we can collectively achieve a high level of population coverage for vaccination. Hence, we urge everyone who is eligible to be vaccinated when it is offered to you. Further relaxations such as for group and event sizes, capacity limits, distancing requirements, mask-wearing and travel will be introduced when a sufficient proportion of the population has been fully vaccinated, especially for those who are vaccinated.
lifting restrictions for any Travel in 2021 probably won't happen (again, aiming Oct for 75% of population first)

Free travel probably won't happen for a long time(maybe 1-3 modified SHN for vaccinated as Lawrence Wong mentioned)

But there might be some travel arrangements made among countries with low and stable infections, he said, adding that vaccinated travellers can perhaps see some benefits such as shorter quarantine times.
JNelson113 and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 8:45 am

I'd settle for a shorter quarantine time, say, 3 days? HK has reduced it to 7 (or, plans to), I hope the rest of SE Asia will follow.

Testing I'm fine with, unless the PRC's rectal method mentioned in one of invisible's posts becomes widespread. Initially, I thought he was joking; it's probably just a precaution reserved for some guests the PRC deems "special," whose exclusive membership I'll likely never achieve enough in life to find myself on.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 2:00 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Dining-in indeed restarting next week but only groups of 2.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh
They don’t really want to know how much of the virus is out there - as long as people aren’t getting sick. You basically have to be quite sick already to get a test if you can be bothered fronting up to a doctor, paying for the privilege and maybe or maybe not you will get referred for a test.
COVID testing in Singapore is very common. All you need is a runny nose or a sore throat and nearly automatically you will be tested, for free. I’m vaccinated and still had to her a test when I went to a clinic for a stuffy nose and sore throat.

Many service workers are tested on a regular basis and F&B workers will start to be regularly tested.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...in-higher-risk
Old Jun 18, 2021, 9:11 am

Test wasn't widespread enough to catch outbreaks
I Think the changi workers did pooled tests every 14-28 days, but not enough to catch the cluster in time.

That said, i think Singapore has been doing a lot more than other countries
- sewage testing to catch HDB cluster (some countries do that)
- serology vs PCR test to test past vs current infection
- genome sequencing to try to see who transmitted to who (very few countries do enough sequencing to detect variant, let alone trying to trace the the transmission chain)

this is the biggest signal for future border opening
https://sg.news.yahoo.com/snap-lockd...090346016.html

Snap lockdowns cannot "go on forever" if Singapore is to retain its competitiveness and viability, but the country's reopening will depend on its vaccination rate, said Health Minister Ong Ye Kung on Friday (18 June). "At some point, with our higher capabilities, high vaccination, we must be able to reconnect with the world. Travel must start again," said Ong at a virtual media briefing by the multi-ministry taskforce on COVID-19 (MTF).
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...ase-3-15041028

There is also the view that Singapore should push back its reopening to a much later date until COVID-19 cases are consistently near-zero for many days, noted Mr Wong, who is also the Finance Minister. “This is in fact very hard to achieve, and may not even be possible to do so, given how transmissible that Delta variant is,” he said. “And if we were to take this approach, it will mean we have restrictive measures in place for many months, which will cause many businesses to fold. So that's not a very realistic option.”
washeelers747 likes this.

Last edited by paperwastage; Jun 18, 2021 at 9:58 am
Old Jun 18, 2021, 9:00 pm

I imagine that this is what is leading to the new policy of sending a message to everyone who was in a place where a case has been detected directing them to mandatory COVID testing.

Yesterday I was in the Orchard MRT station and noticed the pharmacies selling home testing kits for COVID-19.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 10:03 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by yosithezet
COVID testing in Singapore is very common. All you need is a runny nose or a sore throat and nearly automatically you will be tested, for free. I’m vaccinated and still had to her a test when I went to a clinic for a stuffy nose and sore throat
Perhaps the attitude of doctors has now changed, but last November I went to doctor (at a clinic registered to do testing) after a sore throat and headaches for a few days and sent home and told to take some (more) paracetomol, no suggestion of testing. There were also still a few positive cases earlier in this outbreak that had been to doctors with coughs and the doctors hadn't organised testing of patients, and were only picked up after their condition deteriorated and went to alternative doctors.. By contrast in Australia and I think NZ - there is not medical filter, no need to visit a doctor first, you turn up a testing station, they just ask your symptoms and you get a test, I know several family members who've done that in Victoria. I guess the difference is motor vehicles, many of the testing stations you just drive up to. Many people here do not have cars, so testing clinics could be more problematic with respect to infection control.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 2:01 am

Maybe one just needs to go to the right clinic. These SASH clinics are the clinics that are designated for swabs for flu like symptoms.

https://flu.gowhere.gov.sg
Old Jun 19, 2021, 6:43 am

Programs: free agent
I Think the changi workers did pooled tests every 14-28 days, but not enough to catch the cluster in time.

this is the biggest signal for future border opening
https://sg.news.yahoo.com/snap-lockd...090346016.html

Will be interesting to see where is tipping point for government to decide, "screw it, we will open up our borders if vaccination rate don't hit their target numbers" it's not fair for government to keep borders closed for too long if there is plenty of vaccines available but people either refuse or being too slow to take it. Obviously, SG government can decide what they want to do with tourism / border but it seems all states in usa decide to go forward with "we are opening up, so get vaccinated asap or don't weep if you refuse to get it and get sick from covid".

They aren't holding the door for people who refuse to take it so risks fall on them. Will be interesting to see if SG and others in Asia will take similar approach (hopefully next few months).
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by washeelers747

They aren't holding the door for people who refuse to take it so risks fall on them. Will be interesting to see if SG and others in Asia will take similar approach (hopefully next few months).
I think we will hear something starting sept/Oct/Nov

FDA should be giving full approval by then ​​​​​(Pfizer/biontech applied at mid may, moderna June, FDA typically aims 6 months for expedited approval though it can be quicker). This gives governments backing for mandatory vaccination

By that time,.Pfizer/biontech expects to apply for EUA 2-11.

By that time, SG should have enough vaccines for anyone volunteering, and enough to cover a mass mandatory vaccination (add another 2months so people can complete the two dose & 2 weeks.to be fully vaccinated, which leads to Jan 2022

Just don't know how to handle people who can't take vaccines (allergy/medical reason), and under 2. That part is a risk
LETTERBOY and washeelers747 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.