Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changi Airport to allow transit on preapproved airlines & routes from June 2

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2020, 3:28 am

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by addy2019
It is two separate tickets on two different airlines. My flight into Changi arrives in Terminal 3, my flight leaving Changi leaves out of terminal 1. Flying on July 4th.
I have to collect my luggage and check in again.
That's not happening. You would need to enter Singapore (regardless of the fact you're not leaving the airport, you're still going landside), which you will not be able to do. As was already said, you will be denied boarding for flight 1. Even if you had no luggage to pick up, you would not be allowed to board, as transit is currently limited only to SQ group flights, on a single ticket, from ANZ to rest of the world.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 4:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I hope you haven’t bought these tickets yet.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by paperwastage
per https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32446311-post52.html
(more pics of transit area in that that thread and here : https://milelion.com/2020/06/11/sing...hat-to-expect/

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...t/?id=kataac8r

only passengers flying on singapore-air group outbound from australia can transit. (Australia via SIN to anywhere_on_SQ_network)
does not apply to passengers trying to fly XYZ-SIN-Australia
(SQ, silkair, scoot)
Thanks, but these are referring to only traveling with the SQ Group as you have mentioned, but not all passengers are flying SQ Group in and out of Singapore.
​​​​​
Any one have any information on whether transit is allowed on two separate tickets on different airlines (other than SQ Group)?

For example, arriving into SIN from on one airlines with a 5-hour layover, then connect onto another airlines on another airlines with interline bags checked through to the final destination.

Does this type transit is allowed? I don't seem to be able to find information on the internet or if anyone has the link can post in this thread for useful reference.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Thanks, but these are referring to only traveling with the SQ Group as you have mentioned, but not all passengers are flying SQ Group in and out of Singapore.
​​​​​
Any one have any information on whether transit is allowed on two separate tickets on different airlines (other than SQ Group)?

For example, arriving into SIN from on one airlines with a 5-hour layover, then connect onto another airlines on another airlines with interline bags checked through to the final destination.

Does this type transit is allowed? I don't seem to be able to find information on the internet or if anyone has the link can post in this thread for useful reference.
no, this type of transit is not allowed right now

as mentioned in the other thread, airlines need to get approval for the specific route combinations for transit.

SQ got approval for specific routes one-way, australia-changi-XYZ (and not even approval for the reverse direction). onboard the aircraft, transit and non-transit passengers will be separated

no other airline has gotten approval yet.
I don't think that cross-airline transit (let alone self-connecting cross-airline-transit) is high on anyone's list to get approval+
UA_Flyer likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
no, this type of transit is not allowed right now

as mentioned in the other thread, airlines need to get approval for the specific route combinations for transit.

SQ got approval for specific routes one-way, australia-changi-XYZ (and not even approval for the reverse direction). onboard the aircraft, transit and non-transit passengers will be separated

no other airline has gotten approval yet.
I don't think that cross-airline transit (let alone self-connecting cross-airline-transit) is high on anyone's list to get approval+
I hope that UA/NH/TG/SQ etc. will be approved for transit except to/from China.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb1992
Why the China stipulation? Many people want to transit to or from the mainland these days.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Why the China stipulation? Many people want to transit to or from the mainland these days.
1. Hope SIN will soon open transit to other places

2. China won’t allow SIN to mainland transit. It’s a lost cause.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 2:51 pm

i doubt UA/NH want to operate fifth freedom flights from SIN. They'll have to do cross-airline transit at best (which means coordination with another airline and Changi+CAAS for the transit isolation)
remember that groups have to isolated on aircraft - not sure how much passenger capacity would be removed - anyone know how SQ does it right now?

TG, pronably not now with the current economic issues

Policy is best for SQ group (home base) and BA/QF/NZ going from europe-SIN-oceania

Why? They want people to transit via hkg instead? (ButHBut also allows transit except for mainland
Old Jun 16, 2020, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i doubt UA/NH want to operate fifth freedom flights from SIN. They'll have to do cross-airline transit at best (which means coordination with another airline and Changi+CAAS for the transit isolation)
remember that groups have to isolated on aircraft - not sure how much passenger capacity would be removed - anyone know how SQ does it right now?

TG, pronably not now with the current economic issues

Policy is best for SQ group (home base) and BA/QF/NZ going from europe-SIN-oceania

Why? They want people to transit via hkg instead? (ButHBut also allows transit except for mainland

I mean e.g. UA SFO-SIN, TG SIN-BKK etc. in future.

China bans all transit from HKG to mainland. It bans transit from SIN to mainland. So it's a lost cause.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 1:54 am

Programs: Alaska

who says about 2? Only HKG is not allowed to transit to/from China.

I mean e.g. UA SFO-SIN, TG SIN-BKK etc. in future.
unlikely to happen. Neither UA or TG has any incentive to arrange any kind of transit. SQ would be the only choice.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by hdogan
That's not happening. You would need to enter Singapore (regardless of the fact you're not leaving the airport, you're still going landside), which you will not be able to do. As was already said, you will be denied boarding for flight 1. Even if you had no luggage to pick up, you would not be allowed to board, as transit is currently limited only to SQ group flights, on a single ticket, from ANZ to rest of the world.
I am sorry for the late response. I am even more confuse. Are you saying I will not be allowed to go from Terminal 3 to terminal 1 to board my second flight?
Old Jun 19, 2020, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I am sorry for the late response. I am even more confuse. Are you saying I will not be allowed to go from Terminal 3 to terminal 1 to board my second flight?
Yes - unless you have an ALE.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 6:40 pm

Am I misinterpreting or not understanding this? This is just me, without any checked luggage.
https://www.changiairport.com/en/air...h-airport.html
Old Jun 19, 2020, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Am I misinterpreting or not understanding this? This is just me, without any checked luggage.
The problem is not about you have baggage or not.

First, the THAs are for selected flights only, per Straits Times:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...-holding-areas

which it does not apply to you.

Second, your transfer requires a change of Terminals. Given SIN is not designed for inter-terminal transfers at the airside, you must pass through all necessary formalities. The formalities are what you can't pass through. In other word, in order for your transfer to work, you must be officially admitted into Singapore and be allowed to stay. Otherwise, you can't.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 7:08 pm

the webpage explicitly states

The Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore has invited airlines to submit their proposals for transfer lanes through Changi Airport. The proposals will be evaluated taking into account aviation safety, public health considerations, as well as the health of passengers and air crew. Passengers interested in connecting through Changi Airport to reach their final destination should consult their airline on options available.
so for transit:
1) your connecting itinerary must be on an airline that went through those steps AND got approval form CAAS.
As of now, SQ is the only airline who got approval, and only for passengers originating from Australia, transiting via Singapore to somewhere else.
SQ only got approval for one direction. didn't even get approval for passengers trying to transit via Singapore to Australia.

2) if you don't have that, this means you are no longer transiting. this means you need to be able to enter Singapore. then catch your second flight out of singapore
This requires
-> ability to enter Singapore (Singapore residents/PR. others/foreigners require approval letter of entry or SafePass)
-> additional quarantine rules (eg self-quarantine), which means you cannot just catch a flight the next day
https://www.ica.gov.sg/covid-19
https://www.gov.sg/article/updates-t...ring-singapore
jerry a. laska likes this.

Last edited by paperwastage; Jun 19, 2020 at 7:14 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.