FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-510/)
-   -   Singapore on lock down and no transits (From 23 March 2020, 2359) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore/2013920-singapore-lock-down-no-transits-23-march-2020-2359-a.html)

studioboss Mar 21, 2020 9:58 pm

Singapore on lock down and no transits (From 23 March 2020, 2359)

No short term visitors and transits through Singapore SIN from tomorrow

https://www.moh.gov.sg/news-highligh...covid-19-cases

hdogan Mar 22, 2020 8:43 pm

Let's be accurate, it's not a lockdown, it's just closing borders :)

Wong Jnr Mar 23, 2020 12:28 am

Originally Posted by hdogan (Post 32220713)

Exactly. I can still sit at my desk at the office, I can still go and grab a coffee at a coffee shop and after work I can still go to eat at a hawker centre or restaurant and enjoy a beer at a bar.
Heck I can even go the supermarket and buy toilet paper which is still in ample supply :D

hdogan Mar 23, 2020 2:58 am

... which is significantly more than most of the world can do these days :(

Firemansam Mar 23, 2020 5:16 am

Can you post some TP to Australia please.

BuildingMyBento Mar 23, 2020 1:15 pm

It's dull even without a lockdown. Maybe this will spice up some (bus) riots again.

shuigao Mar 23, 2020 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by hdogan (Post 32220713)

The term "lockdown" is vague and doesn't really have a universally-agreed definition though.

Like over the border in Malaysia where nobody is allowed out of their homes except to go to work (essential sectors only), buy groceries / take away meals, or to go see the doctor. One might reasonably consider this practically a lockdown, but no, my social media feed had so many people arguing semantics and saying "no it's not a lockdown if you can still go out to buy food." :p

SQTraveller Mar 24, 2020 1:14 am

What are the chances that Singapore goes into full lockdown what with the rise of imported cases?

Wong Jnr Mar 24, 2020 3:10 am

Originally Posted by SQTraveller (Post 32225413)
What are the chances that Singapore goes into full lockdown what with the rise of imported cases?

I would expect it's low.
Anybody arriving into Singapore will be under a stay at home order so they're not out there spreading the virus.
It's the community cases that is the key I think. These still remain in the single digits so contact tracing should still apply. Also given that the government now has released an app for everybody to use that stores data of those you've been in close contact with, this will help with the contact tracing.
Unless there's a fast rise in local transmitted cases I don't see the need for change yet....
Measures such as social distancing are now in place to reduce the spread too, so the curve is been flattened.

This is my personal opinion based on the figures available

IAN-UK Mar 24, 2020 4:35 am

Originally Posted by studioboss (Post 32217122)
No short term visitors and transits through Singapore SIN from tomorrow

https://www.moh.gov.sg/news-highligh...covid-19-cases

By transits is it safe to assume they mean passengers making airside transfers between flights ?

hdogan Mar 24, 2020 4:41 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK (Post 32225752)
By transits is it safe to assume they mean passengers making airside transfers between flights ?

Yes. The only people allowed to set foot at Changi are Singapore citizens, permanent residents, and work pass holders with special permission.

LondonElite Mar 24, 2020 4:41 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK (Post 32225752)

I think it means that you cannot go from A to B with a stop in Singapore, regardless of whether you stay airside or not. No connections.

SQTraveller Mar 24, 2020 7:19 am

I just saw that those resident returning from the US and UK will have to serve out their SHN at hotels (link here). I suspect this makes sense as it would reduce the cost of checking up on lots of different individuals. Though who would pay for it? The government has encouraged citizens and residents to return so will the government pick up the tab?

Lightraveller Mar 24, 2020 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Wong Jnr (Post 32225599)
I would expect it's low.
Anybody arriving into Singapore will be under a stay at home order so they're not out there spreading the virus.
It's the community cases that is the key I think. These still remain in the single digits so contact tracing should still apply. Also given that the government now has released an app for everybody to use that stores data of those you've been in close contact with, this will help with the contact tracing.
Unless there's a fast rise in local transmitted cases I don't see the need for change yet....
Measures such as social distancing are now in place to reduce the spread too, so the curve is been flattened.

This is my personal opinion based on the figures available

There has been a spike in daily cases and we have been seeing double digits for a while. Still, the government will try everything else before they do a Lockdown because it would be hugely detrimental to the economy.

Wong Jnr Mar 24, 2020 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Lightraveller (Post 32228338)
There has been a spike in daily cases and we have been seeing double digits for a while. Still, the government will try everything else before they do a Lockdown because it would be hugely detrimental to the economy.

Things move so fast and now the MoH will implement more measure tomorrow night. This has taken me by surprise, but after seeing more information regarding the demographics of the cases it does seem to make sense. e.g. young adults are the highest concentration.
So no bars, cinema's and other entertainment venues until at least the end of April and no gathering of other 10 people either....