Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Singapore government bans scooters/PMds from all roads except Park Connector Network

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore government bans scooters/PMds from all roads except Park Connector Network

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2019, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years

Subj, announced on 4th of November and in force with Nov 5th. Fines are $2000 per incident and up.

I guess number of people working for Grab, Deliveroo and similar ending up without jobs and all scooter ride-share programs practically canceled.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:11 pm

Programs: BA, SQ
...and finally pedestrians have their pavements back again. As I was on holiday last week, coming back the change was very noticeable!
However I've seen several rogue e-scooters flaunting the new regulations already
Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yay!!!
Old Nov 11, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
I find it a remarkably and uncharacteristically knee jerk reaction. Perhaps the government is pandering to the populace given the upcoming elections and really high profile casualties in PMD - pedestrian collisions (not to mention the HDB fires).

Consider also that for many many months the government's stance was to regulate (i.e. accept) PMDs. First the 25km/h speed limit, then lowered to 10km/h, the UL2272 requirement and PMD registration. Based on this pattern, people built businesses and planned livelihoods around PMDs only to have their (immediate) futures dashed almost literally overnight.

On a personal note I have mixed feelings. As a father of a young child I am 100% in support of the ban (if I had it my way, even bicycles should be banned from footpaths), but on the other hand Grabfood has been really really good to me, so ...
Old Nov 12, 2019, 3:56 am

Programs: Enrich
As a heavily footpath user like me, I am very happy with the ban. Since I will need to walk for at least 5 to 10 minutes to nearest bus stop daily

Based on my living experience, even the regular bike user ignore the regulation and signage... I recalled there is a new regulation where the speed limit within hdb should be much slower. but those bike user just ride like whole block own bu their grandpa
Old Nov 12, 2019, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by shuigao
I find it a remarkably and uncharacteristically knee jerk reaction.
Is it? I think it's been a long and considered approach.
The government clearly want to encourage new technologies/ideas for mobility of the public and has given PMDs a chance to establish themselves. However as proven yet again the public/companies just abuse this and we end up in this situation. Just look at shared bikes, another good example of the government giving things a chance for it all to fall to pieces when the companies/public cannot self regulate themselves...

Singapore I think is taking a very open and sensible approach. They give you a fairly wide circle and say go try but within reason. Step outside of that circle and they will take it away. I appreciate that the government take this decisive steps. If you can't play nicely, you can't play at all.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Wong Jnr
This long and considered approach you speak of has - for years - been "PMD's are here to stay to share footpaths with pedestrians, but let's (increasingly) regulate them to ensure pedestrian safety." Even as recent as May this year, it was clearly mentioned in Parliament that MOT had no plans to ban PMDs.

Then on 4th Nov a ban is announced with a 1-day notice period.

Then it seemed as if the Government suddenly realized that hey, their ban has broken the rice bowl of literally thousands of food delivery riders - the bulk of whom are likely ill-equipped to handle this. So they hastily cobbled together that $7m aid package or whatever.

This sort of flip-flop policy making is not how the world's highest-paid government should run a country.

Last edited by shuigao; Nov 12, 2019 at 10:01 pm
Old Nov 15, 2019, 10:00 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Wong Jnr
The government clearly want to encourage new technologies/ideas for mobility of the public and has given PMDs a chance to establish themselves. However as proven yet again the public/companies just abuse this and we end up in this situation. Just look at shared bikes, another good example of the government giving things a chance for it all to fall to pieces when the companies/public cannot self regulate themselves...

Singapore I think is taking a very open and sensible approach. They give you a fairly wide circle and say go try but within reason. Step outside of that circle and they will take it away. I appreciate that the government take this decisive steps. If you can't play nicely, you can't play at all.
Singapore + “open” approach? Hard to fathom.

Also, smokers are still allowed to contaminate, so...
Old Nov 17, 2019, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Singapore + “open” approach? Hard to fathom.

Also, smokers are still allowed to contaminate, so...
I'm not going to venture into OMNI territory...
Old Dec 30, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: Krisflyer
Problem with PMDs in SIngapore is that the infrastructure never quite catered for enough cycling paths (bicycles do co-share the roads with motor vehicles).

I'm not entirely sure if such a measure borders on being "extreme", but PMDs have not been able to co-mingle with pedestrians on the pavements. Partially because it's far easier to speed with a PMD. As a pedestrian on the road, I sometimes worry that I may unwittingly move into the path of a PMD coming from behind and being knocked down through no fault of either PMD rider or myself.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 11:54 pm

Well, all of yesterday and today I saw no PMDs in Punggol (and only one in CBD/Cecil Street area). It does seem like the $2000 fine is quite effective. I wonder what the effect is on Grabfood / Foodpanda orders though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.