Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Orchard Road vs. Colonial District

Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Thinking about a 3 or 4 night stay. It will be my 1st time in Singapore (and possibly only). I'm not much of a shopper and tend to like walking around historical places. That being said, I'm leaning towards staying at Hotel Fort Canning in the colonial district. If you think Orchard Road area is the better option, please let me know.

Thanks.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Sandeep1
Thinking about a 3 or 4 night stay. It will be my 1st time in Singapore (and possibly only). I'm not much of a shopper and tend to like walking around historical places. That being said, I'm leaning towards staying at Hotel Fort Canning in the colonial district. If you think Orchard Road area is the better option, please let me know.

Thanks.
If shopping is not your thing, then best to avoid staying near Orchard. You could also consider staying at either The Raffles Hotel (scheduled to re-open after a renovate sometime now i think) or The Fullerton, both being heritage hotels.
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by quarryking
If shopping is not your thing, then best to avoid staying near Orchard. You could also consider staying at either The Raffles Hotel (scheduled to re-open after a renovate sometime now i think) or The Fullerton, both being heritage hotels.
Raffles is well outside my budget unfortunately. Fort Canning is a bit more my speed, probably won't even be in the hotel that much.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:29 pm

I wouldnt recommend Hotel Fort Canning due to the location for public transport.

I'd recommend a hotel near the Bugis area which isnt too far from Fort Canning.
Hotel would depend on your budget of course.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HawaiiO
I wouldnt recommend Hotel Fort Canning due to the location for public transport.

I'd recommend a hotel near the Bugis area which isnt too far from Fort Canning.
Hotel would depend on your budget of course.
Hotel options in Bugis look pretty abysmal. Only decent option is the InterContinental.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:44 pm

I think as long as you are reasonably central you can choose anywhere.

Do you have a particular hotel chain you want to be with?

For example, I would suggest looking at Courtyard Novena as it's almost on top of an MRT line and can get you into town pretty quickly (also to places like Chinatown and Little India after transferring to the blue line).
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SQTraveller
I think as long as you are reasonably central you can choose anywhere.

Do you have a particular hotel chain you want to be with?

For example, I would suggest looking at Courtyard Novena as it's almost on top of an MRT line and can get you into town pretty quickly (also to places like Chinatown and Little India after transferring to the blue line).
I'm hotel agnostic, it doesn't have to be a chain either. It can just be an independent.

I'm a big walker so typically my preference is to leave out the hotel front doors and walk to where I want to go. Obviously that won't work all that time though.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:26 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
You could also consider "GoodWood Park Hotel". Another heritage hotel.
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Sandeep1
I'm hotel agnostic, it doesn't have to be a chain either. It can just be an independent.

I'm a big walker so typically my preference is to leave out the hotel front doors and walk to where I want to go. Obviously that won't work all that time though.
I think you can walk as much or as little as you like .. for example you could walk from little India to China town walking past the Kwan Im Thong temple... to the Peranakan Museum and then past Fort Canning and then to National Gallery and through to china town ...

Enjoy your trip .. I hope you will grace us with some photos of the Lion City.
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Orchard Road is rather boring if you don't like shopping. Nothing at the shops was what we couldn't get at home cheaper.

I loved the older areas of Singapore.
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Looking at the InterContinental Singapore right now. Seems like a nice place.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 9:23 pm
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
...to the Peranakan Museum...
You can walk there, but can't go in since it's being renovated.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.