FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-510/)
-   -   Help me pick the Mariott Cat 5 hotels in Singapore. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore/1978112-help-me-pick-mariott-cat-5-hotels-singapore.html)

bobcat745 Jul 14, 2019 10:27 pm

Help me pick the Mariott Cat 5 hotels in Singapore.

First time in Singapore, looks to find someplace central and touristy. I will be there for 3 nights but won't get in town until 10pm. Want to use my cat 5 annual certificate and here are the choices:
1) Courtyard Novena $214 SGD
2) Warehouse hotel $279 SGD
3) 4 points Riverview $165 SGD
4) Le Meridien, Sentosa $342SGD
5) Sheraton Tower, $231 SGD
6)Vagabond, Singapore $240 SGD

Which one would people recommend? Looks like Meridien is the best deal but not sure if its out of town. I don't have elite status so no breakfast. I also don't mind paying cash if it's not a good use of certificate.

thanks,

MSPeconomist Jul 14, 2019 10:38 pm

Sentosa is a long and expensive taxi ride from Singapore and is on the opposite side of downtown from the airport. It's very inconvenient for doing anything other than hanging out at your hotel.

The Sheraton is a big aging hotel that seems to get large groups. I don't like it but it's in a good location.

Vagabond could be interesting as it's rather quirky.

I can't picture the other hotels on your list, but the Warehouse sounds like it could be an interesting boutique hotel in a good historic location. However, I'm just guessing from the name.

hdogan Jul 14, 2019 11:37 pm

Vagabond, deffo! Smack in the centre of Little India, and as @MSPeconomist said, a cool quirky hotel. Definitely refreshing after all the standard branded hotels in Marriott chain(s). A coworker of mine stayed in pretty much every single Marriott hotel in Singapore, and prefers the Vagabond.

SQTraveller Jul 15, 2019 4:52 am

Warehouse looks nice but like 4 points is a bit of a walk away from anything ... there is a bus but you will likely need to take a taxi (grab).

I don't have a strong opinion but for ease of access to public transport? Courtyard is a good location; right on top of the red line

bobcat745 Jul 15, 2019 4:39 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. Might go to warehouse or just pay cash rate for a place as the redemption rates and low and I could use them else where.

IluvSQ Jul 16, 2019 7:52 am

Of those listed, I would hold my nose and pick the Sheraton. ( I know, I have a post in the Sheraton master thread that asks why I keep coming back when
things are so bad, but...)

4 Points ( where I stayed last week) and the Warehouse ( which is right next door to 4 Points) are just too far from subway stations - a 15+ minute hot, humid walk.
Novena - rooms too small and too basic.
Sentosa - too far away.
That leaves Sheraton ( where I have stayed many times), and Vagabond ( that I have never tried).
Vagabond has been recommended, but as far as I can tell, is still too far from subway for my liking.

Edit - just checked the map - Vagabond appears to be a 6 - 10 minute walk from several subway stations.
Maybe that would be best choice.

bobcat745 Jul 16, 2019 10:07 am

Thanks for all of your inputs!

Guess there is not a perfect category 5 property. I think it might be worthwhile to just pay cash for a nicer one and save my certificates. It’s not a great redemption rare anyways.

puchong Jul 16, 2019 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by IluvSQ (Post 31309041)
Of those listed, I would hold my nose and pick the Sheraton. ....

Agree with this. Although the Sheraton is aging, it is perfectly fine for someone visiting to see the sights. The location, right next to a MRT station, cannot be beat - except perhaps by the Novena property.

moondog Jul 16, 2019 3:27 pm

I like the RC, but it wasn't a participant in MR last time I stayed there, and doubt this has changed.

bobcat745 Jul 16, 2019 4:04 pm

That’s a jump. Category 5 to RC :)

466SHH Jul 16, 2019 5:23 pm

I had a very nice stay at the Vagabond about 6 months ago. Excellent breakfast. And it is easy enough to get to the MRT from there. The hotel is quirky, but in a nice way. One benefit no one has mentioned is that the hotel has several (4?) sets of walking maps that they will give you if you ask. They will take you to many of the sights and some good restaurants. So good that I kept mine for my next trip -- which is already booked back at the Vagabond. I also stayed at the Tang Plaza on that trip and while the location was also good, I found it a more impersonal stay.

shuigao Jul 17, 2019 3:15 am

Originally Posted by bobcat745 (Post 31307081)
Thanks for all the suggestions. Might go to warehouse or just pay cash rate for a place as the redemption rates and low and I could use them else where.

I've not stayed at the warehouse but I've had dinner at the Mod Sin (modern singaporean) restaurant there. The location isn't actually so bad, it's right across the river from one end of Robertson Quay which has a bunch of decent restaurants (Decker BBQ there is one of my go-to places for Brisket). Walk a little further (~15min total) and you'll reach Liang Court / Fort Canning MRT station ... although I will agree with others in that this should only really be done early morning or late afternoon / evening.

quirrow Jul 17, 2019 6:06 am

I would pick the Warehouse Hotel as I think that is the nicest hotel of the bunch. I like the rooms in that hotel and while not the most conveniently located near a subway station, it is walking distance to the Robertson Quay neighbourhood with plenty of bars and restaurants. It is also a few bus stops to Chinatown and Clarke Quay.

And the Warehouse Hotel has a restaurant at the lobby. Guests should also get welcome drinks by the bar which is another great place to unwind in the evening. Manual coffee drip using the V60 provided in the room definitely is one of the nicer coffee I had in a hotel room.

sandyph Jul 18, 2019 1:58 am

+1 for Warehouse out off the bunch.

The walk to the nearest subway is actually not that bad since you're be walking along the river and will have a bunch of shops/cafe/restaurant all the way through.

also if you walk the other way, you can easily reach Chinatown (or a few stop with a bus)